RaidingGames
CosmoJarvis

Should all States Follow Vermont Style Gun Control

RaidingGames has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

RaidingGames

Pro

Round 1: Accepting round. Don't post your argument.

Round 2: Arguments. Please remember to cite all of your facts.

Round 3: Rebuttal to Round 2.

Good Luck!
CosmoJarvis

Con

I'm glad to be debating. This is quite an interesting topic, so I hope that the argument I've prepared will help make this debate challenging and entertaining. I'll try to use as much factual information as I can within the debate. But what's the format of the debate? Will round 2 and 3 be reserved for arguments, or is round 2 for arguments, and 3 for rebutals?

I wish you the best of luck, and hopefully, regardless of who wins, we can both enjoy it.
RaidingGames

Pro

You can post rebuttals and arguments in round 3 but no rebuttals in round 2, please.

Good Luck!

For those that don't know "Vermont Gun Control" is very relaxed yet we still have a low crime rate. Vermont is not required to enter state background checks, although federal is required. Anyone can carry a handgun anywhere except for Courthouses and schools. Under 16 needs parental permission, however. Vermont had a 115 per 100,000 in 2012 - 2014 (Official Reports) violent crime rate, even though we have major drug issues. The reason I think gun control this relaxed works is because not many people choose to break into people's homes or mug people because anyone could have a gun.
CosmoJarvis

Con

Though my opponent has already described what the Vermot Style Gun Control, I'd prefer to also implicate it in my argument as well.

The Vermont Style Gun Control policies permit people to openly purchase firearms for both hunting and defense, and it not necessary to have a permit or background check to conceal and carry a weapon [1]. I, by no means, agree nor disagree with the belief that the ownership of firearms will reduce crime rates, but that will not be the main focus of my objection to the Vermont Style Gun Control. The focal point of my argument is how background checks and permits do not play a factor in the ownership of a firearms.

Background checks are reviews of a person's criminal history and medical problems. They're used to assess whether a person is capable of responsibly using a gun or not. I believe that the lack of background checks and not needing a permit is a fatal flaw in Vermont Style Gun Control. For example, if a person has a turbulent criminal history of assaults and such, a background check would likely prevent this person from owning a gun. However, not needing a permit or background check means that even the most dangerous people could obtain a firearm.

1) http://gun.laws.com...;