Should all drugs be legalized?

I believe that all drugs should be legalized. Why? Due to the fact that there is TONS of violence coming from the cartel over illegal drug trade, if the government legalized it, that violence will be very minimal. Also, since there are many teenagers today in our society doing hard drugs, don't you think that most of them are doing it because it's 'illegal' and 'cool'? If we legalize them, the cool factor to it will go extinct causing a downfall in drug usage. Yes, there are going to be people still using them and yes it is bad, however the overall usage will go down because the cool factor is gone.

Firstly, controlled drugs are illegal for a reason; they are dangerous and worsen their users quality of life. Hard drug users are often put into a position where they need to commit crime in order to fund their habit. These people need rehabilitation and support, but we do not need to legalise drugs to do this. Being arrested often opens the door for those that require help, by referral to drug agencies.

Secondly, I would like to look at bigger picture. Organised criminal gangs use drugs as a way of financing other, even more serious criminal activity, such as human trafficking and importing firearms, etc. It would be foolish to think that these gangs would stop supplying demand for these drugs just because it is legalised. If anything, it would make law enforcement of this supply more difficult.
It is widely suggested that the government would be able to regulate and tax controlled drugs if legalised. While this may provide financial benefits to the nation, and make drugs safer, it would also make these "safer" drugs more expensive. Organised gangs would be able to undercut these prices, and have an easier time selling them and possessing them in public.

Also, I do not believe that people consider drugs to be "cool" because they are illegal... the reality is some people turn to drugs because they are hurt, some because they are looking for something fun to do and experience. It doesn't make it right to use these drugs, but legalising them would not stem their use.

Finally, I would like to add that I do not think that the war on drugs can ever be "won", but I don't believe that's a reason not to have one.

You have showed some very compelling arguments and I actually agree with you. Thank you for the debate and good job for your side.

dhauptman98 forfeited this round.

Gas forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by tejretics 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro concedes graciously in Round 2. While I personally believe gracious concessions such as these must be awarded with a conduct point, since the voting moderators do not recommend it, I shall refrain from awarding conduct to Pro. But nonetheless, I praise Pro's graceful concession. Thus, arguments are ultimately awarded to Con, obviously, because of the concession. 3 points to Con. As always, happy to clarify this RFD.