Hylian_3000
Acarr130

Should all kids be able to own and use their own mobile phone?

Hylian_3000
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Started: 11/18/2014 Category: Technology

Hylian_3000

Con

Let's start by laying down some rules and definitions

Round 1: Acceptance Round
Round 2: Opening Statement
Round 3: Arguments
Round 4: Counter Arguments/Arguments
Round 5: Counter Arguments/Closing Statement

Mobile Phone: any wireless telephone that operates over a relatively large area, as a cellular phone or PCS phone.
Acarr130

Pro

Yes, I do accept
Hylian_3000

Con

Thank you for accepting the debate, Pro.

First of all, let me clear up the debate topic first: Should all kids be able to own and use their own SMARTPHONE, sorry for the confusion.

Why should kids have a smartphone? It's ok if they just have a cell phone that can just call or receive messages. But the problem arises when kids get smartphones. I understand that lots of kids have smartphones, but a lot don't, and they are pleading their parents to get an iPhone due to peer pressure. What's wrong with that? The kid's parents may not have the money to buy (let alone pay for the plan) a smartphone for their child, but they love their child and they will try.

I believe that kids should not be able to own their own smartphone. I will explain my points next round.
Acarr130

Pro

Truthfully, I would think it's ok for kids to own their own smartphones, as long as their not doing anything wrong with it. You still would need the money, I do agree with that, but it depends on the wireless company they are buying from. If it's from Sprint or AT&T or a cheaper kind of service, it would be fine. I do get that smartphones are getting ever more expensive, and the technology is growing in them, they would be able to do more things with them. It's mostly come down to how much you can do with the smartphones you buy, from an iPhone to Android, it endless, I shall explain more next round.
Hylian_3000

Con

When I say kids shouldn't be able to own and use their own smartphone, I mean they can't OWN their own smartphone. It is acceptable for parents to let their kids borrow their phones. Since it is their parent's phone they don't own it, since their parents probably would want it back sometime.
A lot of kids aren't mature and responsible enough to handle a phone respectfully. They use them in the wrong places, it is disrespectful and distracts the kids. Despite some school's having strict rules on phones during the school day, kids always find a way to outsmart the teachers. I have personally seen some kids at school use their phones and message DURING class. That distracts the kid from learning.
Continuing on this point, smartphones are an evolution from traditional cell phones. Not a lot of kids use them for their main purpose, to send and receive calls. So many kids use them to check their social media, text message friends in the middle of class, and play games (I'm not against video games, but playing them in class is wrong.)
Phones are also a big financial burden on the parents. Most kids have their parents pay for their phone service (which they barely use,) and that cost a lot. An easy solution would to get pre-paid, but I think the parents would probably not want to pay it all. They have other things to spend money on, more important things (food, water, the house, electricity, the car, etc.)
Acarr130

Pro

I do see where your coming from with the text, social media, Ect. But if they use it right during class, they don't deserve it. So, I think they should have test runs, like having a really old flip phone, and every time they make it one year, without doing anything bad with it, they get a newer, smarter phones. I do understand the technology is always growing and getting ever more complicated, but start with a old phone and get a year newer phone every 6 months or so. I do also understand that you can get games on newer phones, but what I do know is that the smartphones have a settings that can restrict different things, like App Store, iTunes and more. But if kids do figure out how to get in the App Store, they can get games. The parents, (or responsible adult) can take the phone and redo everything the kid did, and reduce the privileges on it, until they get an older phone.
Hylian_3000

Con

It seems like a great idea to have kids progress up some sort of ladder of cell phone technology, however there are some major issues with this plan.
First off let's talk about money, cellphones cost a lot of money. Yes, it is true that flip phones cost less because they are old, but that's valuable money they are spending, and every 6 months you're buying a NEW phone, every 6 months they spend money for a new phone and some parents need money for other important things.
Secondly, let's talk about how to enforce it. How is law enforcement going to be able to uphold this policy. Parents may just buy their kids the newest iPhone because they don't want to go through the whole ladder process. Also, kids may just buy iPhones with their own money, bypassing the policy.
Kids are also smart enough to get around restrictions. They can purchase apps of the internet, or they may figure out the restriction code.
This policy would be really hard to enforce and it is just unconventional
Acarr130

Pro

Acarr130 forfeited this round.
Hylian_3000

Con

Pro has failed to respond, vote Con!
Acarr130

Pro

Yes, I do say you did do good
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Hylian_3000Acarr130
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture