Master_Fallow
airoil937

Should all video games be banned or made family friendly?

Started: 2/26/2015 Category: Games

Master_Fallow

Con

Greeting fellow debaters I am here to state the reasons why just removing video games from existence would ruin an industry and many lives. My opponent is a smart and sensible person and will be a valued opposition...
airoil937

Pro

Games should be removed because everyday, more and more people are playing games that are not family friendly, like Call of Duty: Ghost Protocol, etc., making kids grow up to be terrorists.
Master_Fallow

Con

First can I stress the fact that although there are many generic shooters out there eg COD, Battlefield etc games are more than just "Oh look there is a building lets go blow it up!" There are actual games that teach and help develop skill. "Improved probabilistic inference as a general learning mechanism with action video games",[1]. Other genera video game types are also beneficial.

A 2013 review of published studies found that playing shooter video games improved a player"s capacity to think about objects in three dimensions, just as well as academic courses to enhance these same skills, according to the study.

"This has critical implications for education and career development, as previous research has established the power of spatial skills for achievement in science, technology, engineering and mathematics," Granic said. [2]

[1]http://rochester.edu...
[2] http://psychcentral.com...
airoil937

Pro

airoil937 forfeited this round.
Master_Fallow

Con

Master_Fallow forfeited this round.
airoil937

Pro

Even with the games being made friendly or not, it would still be games like ramming into other cars (Need For Speed), which would make other kids start to act like that.
Master_Fallow

Con

So your implying that any brat can get a license who drives like life is a very big need for speed?

I am guessing you have already have run out of prof of video games leading to terrorism?

Moving on Video games are not just outlets of violence and destruction they are also a form of entertainment and like all entertainment there are different levels for different age groups... Not all games are designed for any five year old who hops on a computer. There are ratings on (most) games and it isn't hard to tell if a games is inappropriate eg: wow this games is very violent this probably be good for my three year old....

Look here is a tale of Saints row 4 when it released in Australia. [1]

Due to the slight difference in the game (one removed loyalty mission with a "homie", (detailed below), the version will not be able to connect with copies of Saints Row 4 sold elsewhere.

Saints Row 4's release was first blocked when Aussie censors turned their noses up at the game'sRectifier anal probe weapon. This will now be optional add-on content, made available as part of the Saints Row 4 Season Pass.

"Due to the changes we were forced to make, this version is different than the version rated by rating boards like the ESRB, USK, and PEGI, which is why it will be incompatible with those versions in co-op," a statement on the game's official"Facebook"page read.

As for the "Rectifier" weapon that was mentioned as an "alien anal probe" weapon recently - it launches enemies into the sky - this is and always has been a bonus weapon for the Season Pass. At this point in time we are still awaiting details on whether we can include it in the Season Pass in Australia or not."

This isn't the first case an it won't be the last... Remember Adult games for adult gamers.

[1]: http://www.eurogamer.net...
airoil937

Pro

games should be banned since kids will be influenced to do things that they are not supposed to do in real life.
Master_Fallow

Con

Although kids maybe influenced by games to do thing most children would not just blindly do them.

I would like to ask you one final question. What would happen if all games were banned? I don't know about the rest of the gaming community but if you want to get rid of my fifth anneversery edition of the elders srcolls IV Oblivion then you would have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Another thought is what about the gaming industry? You can't just expect them to just pack up for good can you? It would be economc sucide. If the world is in some bad economic times it wouldn't really be a wise course of action..

I thank you all for listening to my case and I would like to thank airoil937 for being a skilled opponent and I enjoyed this debate...
airoil937

Pro

airoil937 forfeited this round.
Posted by Master_Fallow 2 years ago
Master_Fallow
This is going to sound nerdy but by "Call of Duty Ghosts protocol etc" do you mean Call of Duty Ghosts, Protocol etc...
Posted by Master_Fallow 2 years ago
Master_Fallow
So sorry airoil937 my internet hasn't been working so I know this is short notice.
Posted by CanadianTotoro 2 years ago
CanadianTotoro
NOT ALL VIDEO GAMES ARE MADE FOR KIDS! Why would we can them or make them family friendly when they're aimed at adults?! M for mature means you have to be 18 to buy the game! And yet you ignore that because you don't care if you're wrong, you just want them banned! And on top of that, video games are PROVEN to DECREASE violent tendencies! You've been conditioned by the news to listen to everything they say, no matter how stupid they are! Stop trying to ruin a perfectly innocent industry and start doing something productive
Posted by airoil937 2 years ago
airoil937
That is okay, TBR, but you better get me a mentor
Posted by emporer1 2 years ago
emporer1
As a gamer, I believe it would be rather horrible if All games were family friendly. That means that a single teen or adult or a couple couldn't really enjoy their game because it is childish. Action and shooters are a real thrill that is great for appropriate audiences. Plus nobody who wasn't already messed up in the head is going to commit a terrorist attack due to a video game.
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
@Master_Fallow - OK. how about you start with this Wikipedia link. You aren't going to USE wikipedia as a source, it is not considered reliable. What you are going to do is use it as a starting point. Just the first bit has a little info for both pro and con to look into further.

"There are some estimates that by 2015 the worldwide gaming industry will possibly reach $70.1 billion.[2]"
"The average American gamer spends an average of 13 hours per week playing video games.[3]"

They both have sources. [2] and [3]. Go to the source and see if that has info that makes you think of a way to express your opinion. You aren't going to find stuff to just take, you going to get information. When you want to use something you find exactly the way the author wrote it, quote the author and reference the source.

Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
OK Master_Fallow. I couldn't get out of the meeting before you got another participant. That's OK. Airoil937 do you mind if I help Master_Fallow a little? I'm looking for a mentor for you too, since you are new to the site too.

I'm not trying to step on the debate, just attempting to help out.

P.S. Master_Fallow. Good statement. The "ruin an industry and many lives" line has lots to talk about.
Posted by Master_Fallow 2 years ago
Master_Fallow
how do you close an argument?
Posted by Master_Fallow 2 years ago
Master_Fallow
Oh sorry
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
Please complete the other debate first. I can't accept until it's closed. Happy to work through this with you