Kaitlynne
LeeJohnson

Should all women be housewifes and should every job be taken by a man?

Kaitlynne has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

Kaitlynne

Con

I personally think that some jobs are more suited to women and women should have the choice to work if they want to but also be a mother
LeeJohnson

Pro

Note: I don't think women are lazy if they stay home. I personally am not a misogynist - I'll try to not make my claims "biased" but if I do, please call it out, and I'll address it.

Let's begin,

I'm very excited to be participating in such an interesting and important debate! I hope we both can understand each other's views and come to a valid conclusion at the end. Having said that, I have some concerns with Pro's main argument. I'll address them here:

"Should all women be housewifes and should every job be taken by a man?"

The way this question is phrased is absurd. Just think about it - you can only view this question from two angles:

1. Women don't have rights
2. Men are more superior than women

Both these angles are false. A better way to phrase this question is:

"If women are equally intelligent to men, should they stay home or work?"

This way, you can address the question from a non-sexist or misogynist point of view. But moving on, I'll be addressing my point of the argument - which is why women should consider being a "stay home" wife.

At-Home Parents Benefit Older Kids, Not Just Younger Ones:

A recent study found that the benefits of having a parent at home extend beyond the early years of a child's life. In the study, the educational performance of 68,000 children was measured. They found an increase in school performance all the way to high school-aged children.

The biggest educational impact in their research was found on kids ages 6-7. [1]

Most homeschoolers also have an at-home parent instructing them. A compilation of studies provided by the National Home Education Research Institute shows a number of statistics that support the importance of a parent at home for educational reasons.

For example, research has found homeschoolers generally score 15 to 30 percentile points above public school students on standardized tests and they're achieving above average scores on the ACT and SAT tests. [2]

Whether you're an at-home parent homeschooling your child or you're simply there when she gets off the bus after school, more studies are finding a parent at home is giving children an academic edge over their peers without a parent at home. Regardless of whether you stay home or work, the National Education Association's research has proven that parent involvement in schools makes a difference in a child's academic performance and how long she actually stays in school. [3]

1. https://www.gsb.stanford.edu... ---> Explains why stay-home parents are good for older children
2. https://www.nheri.org... ---> Statistical facts on the benefits of homeschooling
3. http://www.nea.org... ---> Parental involvement in education

Studies Link Kids in Child Care with Behavioral Problems:

Two studies state you being home with your children during those early stages is better for your kids than them being in childcare full-time. The studies from the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development and the Institute of Child Development of the University of Minnesota found that children who spend a large amount of their day in daycare experienced higher stress levels and aggression as opposed to those who stayed home. [1]

Follow-up research seven years after the original study confirmed those findings still held true.

1. http://www.nytimes.com... ---> Two studies link child care to behavior problems

So as you see, most research agrees with me - that there are more benefits to having a stay home parent, rather than having both parents work. I'll be very enticed to in my opponents arguments. Good luck.