ibelieveinfreedomoflove
Sauh

Should animal hunting be illegal?

ibelieveinfreedomoflove

Pro

I believe that some forms of animal hunting should be outlawed in the U.S. there is no logical reason for killing/eating an animal. Yes, I am a vegetarian. Because it is "fun" does not count.
Sauh

Con

Many forms of animal hunting are already illegal. Are you proposing all hunting be outlawed? If not, I'm sure you will specify which forms of hunting should be outlawed. I believe there are logical reasons for killing/eating an animal; but I will try not to use a simple "it's fun" as an argument.
I accept your debate and look forward to a spirited exchange of ideas.
ibelieveinfreedomoflove

Pro

Hello, thank you for accepting this debate. I too look forward to viewing opinions unlike mine, to open my views.

I believe that animal hunting for sport should be illegal. Because with that, the only people who participate in that do use the excuse "for fun". Not all hunters do, but the ones who simply kill to stuff the animal and put it on their wall, or to enter their corpse into a competition to see who shot the biggest deer(etc.) is sickening. That is my opinion.

I believe that there are other ways to control the population of wildlife. First off, we wouldn't have to shoot so many every year if we hadn't messed with them in the first place. Nature runs its course, just like with wildfires, and from past experiences, we can see that humans attempting to control fires by setting smaller fires around it usually does not work. This is only for an analogy, but I believe it serves well.

Before humans existed, animals were on their own. Now, I'd like to stay on topic. For this section, I am using evolution instead of the "creator" idea. Animals were able to populate, kill, and feed on their own. Until we messed with them. When native Americans killed buffalo with bow and arrow, the buffalo population was almost swept out. No, this may not be the case with deer(etc.) because I am aware of hunting laws, which restricts the amount a person can bag.

If animal hunting, for sport, was illegal, I believe it would help restore nature to how it use to be. It can never be fully restored. Which is sickening that we can't let animals live and show our children how to kill.

End post.
Sauh

Con

Once again, thank you for posting this debate.

"I believe that animal hunting for sport should be illegal. Because with that, the only people who participate in that do use the excuse "for fun". Not all hunters do, but the ones who simply kill to stuff the animal and put it on their wall, or to enter their corpse into a competition to see who shot the biggest deer(etc.) is sickening. That is my opinion."

Hunting an animal in order to obtain a mount, be it a head mount to hang on the wall, or a full mount for a taxidermy contest does not preclude the ability to use the meat to nourish your family. If there are hunters who disregard the meat of an animal and only use the head or pelt, this is an unfortunate waste. It would be more unfortunate, however, to allow a foolish minority of a group to cause the entire group to be made illegal.

Few avid hunters would be so frivolous. Many hunters live in more secluded areas and use the meat from their hunts to supplement the diet of their families, thereby reducing their consumption of commercially produced meat.

The most desirable deer head mounts for entering into competition, or just to put on your wall, are ones with the largest antlers. This is often referred to as points, as in a twelve-point buck, the number of points the deer’s antlers have on them. This competitive aspect of deer hunting is beneficial to the deer population. The older a buck gets, the more points he will grow each season (until he reaches approximately a deer’s average lifespan). The hunter wanting a deer mount with the most points will inevitably strive to take down an older deer, thus leaving the younger bucks to procreate.

Wanting a trophy buck is also beneficial because only male deer grow antlers. Deer season is generally after mating season; hunting male deer, for trophy, will disincline a hunter to kill a female deer, which may be pregnant, allowing her to give birth next season. A hunter that only wanted meat wouldn’t be concerned with having a head mount worthy of competition, and would be more inclined to shoot a female deer.

"I believe that there are other ways to control the population of wildlife. First off, we wouldn't have to shoot so many every year if we hadn't messed with them in the first place."

I won't presume to know what you believe are the other ways to control the population of wildlife. It's the "if we hadn't messed with them in first place" that I'll address. No amount of debate or discussion is going to change the facts of the world we live in as of the beginning of this debate. Due to many direct and indirect consequences of man's actions, if no human killed another deer, the deer population would grow to such numbers that they would exhaust their food supplies putting the entire population at more danger.

"Before humans existed, animals were on their own. ...Animals were able to populate, kill, and feed on their own. Until we messed with them.”

First off, yes, when "animals were on their own" there was no human interference. Animals (carnivores) fed off (hunted) other animals (prey); and now mankind is also involved in this ecosystem. I am confused as to what you are suggesting here, unless you are calling for the extermination of mankind.

"When Native Americans killed buffalo with bow and arrow, the buffalo population was almost swept out."

I apologize for going off topic for a moment.

The Native Americans lived a very sustainable life style, and would use damn near every part of any animal they killed. They used the meat to feed their tribe, the hide for shelter and clothing, and the bones for tools/art/decoration. The wholesale slaughter of the buffalo didn’t happen until Europeans came over; they would kill mass numbers of the animals, skin them and leave their carcasses to rot in the sun. That is what is sickening.

"If animal hunting, for sport, was illegal, I believe it would help restore nature to how it use to be. It can never be fully restored. Which is sickening that we can't let animals love and show our children how to love."

The extent that we, as humans, have changed the 'natural' (which I take you to mean none human) make it so we cannot just pass a law making sport hunting illegal. Humans are now part of the quote/unquote natural world, in that, our actions affect other animal populations and vice versa.

I believe my previous arguments made it clear that the competitive aspect of deer hunting, while taking some animals out of the population, helps ensure the survival of future generations of deer.

ibelieveinfreedomoflove

Pro

ibelieveinfreedomoflove forfeited this round.
Sauh

Con

Extend all arguments.
ibelieveinfreedomoflove

Pro

Sauh

Con

Extend all arguments.
ibelieveinfreedomoflove

Pro

Sauh

Con

Extend all arguments.
Posted by katrilenyah 3 years ago
katrilenyah
Im sorry ibelieveinfreedonoflove but all hunting should not be banned. i am vegetarian as well. I do not like the idea of killing an animal or the chemicals that they use to put on the meat to disinfect the food. Us vegetarians use other sources to get protien that we lack from not eating meat, but some peoples body systems reject the other sources and it would drain the energy from their system, their body could reject the other sources and also if there was an national emergency, like a black out for years , theres no way to get our fancy foods made and vegetables are seasonal so good luck having a vegetarian life style then. By then we would have to hunt to get food. Im sorry but its just not optional.