Should animal testing be banned?

backwardseden has forfeited round #3.

Animals do not have rights, therefore it is acceptable to experiment on them. Animals do not have the cognitive ability or moral judgment that humans do and because of this they have been treated differently than humans by nearly every culture throughout recorded history. If we granted animals rights, all humans would have to become vegetarians, and hunting would need to be outlawed.

According to what and who do “Animals do not have rights?” Perhaps rights should not be given to you? And what rights are you referring to? It is not acceptable to experiment on animals unless you are ready to experiment on man especially if those experiments involve torture.
Have you seen the film Okja? If not you should. Its about genetically enhanced pig and raising it as a pet and then turning it into food. And there’s a torture scene and then the owner comes on in and settles down and the pig knows its her and all the pig does is gives a sigh of relief with no anger or raises of harshness of any kind. Its a remarkable scene and film. Absolutely not is it acceptable to experiment on animals. According to who? You? How would you know? What grade of fluffy fire ants in the you know where areas have you graduated from to make such an immoral assessment?

“Animals do not have the cognitive ability or moral judgment that humans do…” Really? According to what? You? How would you know? What grade of simpleton gooey metal plates between your atomic sublet brain would help you to reach this conclusion?
”and because of this they have been treated differently than humans by nearly every culture throughout recorded history.” And those that have treated animals well, they have survived the longest.
“If we granted animals rights, all humans would have to become vegetarians,” That’s totally false.
“and hunting would need to be outlawed.” Again that’s totally false.

You make bold statements without any swill to backup anything you have to say. So I am going to let you think on that and then when and if you can come up with some answers, some decent answers that are not geared towards directly p**sing people off, and you know it, then let’s have a debate.

In my opinion, humans have a significantly higher level of intelligence, and thus it is acceptable to experiment on animals.

To back my argument, I would like to quote the California Biomedical Research Association: "Every medical breakthrough in the last 100 years have resulted directly from animal testing. If people are against animal testing, why have they not suggested adequate alternatives? Even though computer models are reasonable alternatives, animal testing is still necessary for modelling the programs. Testing on cell or tissue cultures do not provide the opportunity to observe the movement of drugs/medicines throughout different systems, such as the circulatory systems, and conditions such as blindness or high blood pressure do not manifest in single-cell organisms.

I would also like to draw attention to the fact that animal testing is necessary where potential toxicity is being tested. For example, thalidomide caused birth defects in human beings and was not properly tested on pregnant animals. Would you rather save the life of a human, with a lifespan of approximately 80 years, or a mouse, whose lifespan lasts about 2 years?

While on the topic of lifespan, humans take centuries to have multiple generations. Assuming that the lifespan of a human and a mouse last 80 and 2 years each, a mouse can spawn 39 generations of mice in 1 human generation. This is important when it comes to studying the passing down of drug effects. This very fact has helped oncologists understand cancer better.

Therefore, I feel that animal testing is justified and should not be banned, but endorsed instead.

So you think that just because humans have a higher intelligence that gives a species a right to “experiment” on them? What if the roles were reversed and you were to be experimented on? If needle pricks, electricity especially high voltage, starvation, rigorous torture, isolation especially being kept in super tight dark cages etc etc etc were all permitted? Tell me how would you like that? Oh you’d like that just fine wouldn’t you. So don’t tell me that just because YOU have a significantly higher intelligence you have a right and it is acceptable to experiment on animals. Yep its rather blatantly obvious that you've never seen, been to, nor committed to a psych ward.

"Every medical breakthrough in the last 100 years have resulted directly from animal testing.” That is 100% false. And it might be a little bit nice if you would do some actual research. What about plants and trees? Did yah think about that? Obviously not. Yah know what snookums? All I did was simply google “medicines developed from plants” and about 48,600,000 results appeared. And by gum all I did was click on the second link
In which lists the plants and their benefits and medicines.

This debate is now over. You could not even think of something that is so blatantly obvious. It is because of people like you that cause endangered species to go extinct. And---you---don’t---care. Well I do care. That’s the difference between you and me. So no, it is not acceptable to experiment on animals. Not ever.

To counter your arguments on "needle pricks", "electricity", "rigorous torture" and others, I would like to tell you that laws exist to counter cruelty during testing. Many people are under the illusion that most animal test subjects are tortured and treated badly, but this is not true. Most of the animal torture happens outside labs. Besides, most pictures of animals being tortured are outdated. There are laws in countries which protect animal test subjects. For example, the Animal Welfare Act in the United States sets certain standards in terms of food, shelter, etc. that must be met throughout any testing. This ensures that animals are well taken for.

To counter your second argument, which was that medicines were derived mostly from plants, I say that even plant medicines are tested on animals. To elaborate, take the example of using periwinkles to treat leukemia. If the cure was tested on humans, several human lives could be lost. Why? The periwinkle is actually poisonous, and the venom has the capability to kill. Scientists had to perfect the cure by testing it on animals, and this led to the perfect cure. Now, would you want several humans die before their time? Think of animal testing as losing a few lives for the good of humanity.

Now this last paragraph has nothing to do with this "debate". I'm just giving you a piece of my mind: I'm saying that your points have very little evidence on them. I'm not even showing off or feeling superior; I'm just saying that your arguments are based mainly on feelings, with little solid proof. Besides that, I'm being frickin polite to you. Just because I sound like a demented freak doesn't mean you gotta go all out on me. I'm just stating an opinion. I respected yours, and I would be grateful if you could do the same for mine.
Posted by NDECD1441 7 months ago
Platoandaristotle, wow. That was a good point.
Posted by platoandaristotle 7 months ago
Hmm... I think that animals have rights. But in order to learn to respect those rights, we may need to experiment on them.