aliros619
fishhunter61

Should animals be used for Scientific Experiments?

aliros619 has forfeited round #2.

aliros619

Con

Animals should not be used for Scientific experiments my first reason is:
Reason 1: Animal species become endangered due to death in testing.
Animal become endangered mostly because of mass deaths. Animal testing can cause those mass deaths. The act of animal testing kills millions of defenseless animals a year, causing endangerment or even extinction among a wide variety of species. For example lets take chimpanzees. Wild chimpanzees have been and still are protected by the law since 1990, but don't be mistaken. Not all chimps are protected under this law, non-captives are protected. what happens to the chimps that have been held captive for so many years? Those chimps have been put through test after test. chimps are becoming very close to extinction due to being used for animal testing. Chimps can contract the same diseases as humans; HIV, Hepatitis A, B, and C, due to the same DNA makeup as humans. Chimps aren't just put through disease treatment tests. They are also put through heartless transplants, alcoholism, aging, social and maternal deprivation, oral contraceptives, as well as skull impact research. Now how would you like if you were put through things like social and maternal deprivation or oral contraceptives? How would you like having objects smashed against your head just to see your skulls reaction? How would you like having so many traces of diseases injected into you to the point of it damaging your immune systems so much that it eventually shuts them down and kills you? That is exactly what is happening to these animals. Before agreeing that animal testing is a good thing because they test things that could be armful to us, think about this. How would you like it if you were put in these animals position? Treat animals the way you want to be treated.
fishhunter61

Pro

Hi, my claim is that Animals should be used for Scientific Experiments.
I am ready to start this debate, and wish my opponent luck.

Definitions

Animal: A Living Organism

Scientific Experiment: A test under controlled conditions that is made to demonstrate a known truth, examine the validity of a hypothesis, or determine the efficacy of something previously untried
http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

Arguments

1. Scientific Experiments to Save Animals
When CON talks about experiments on animals, he views it with as a negative thing. However, he fails to realize the good that animal testing can bring, not just for humans, but for animals as well. Many experiments on animals can help animals. For instance, look at this qoute:
"For example, naturally occurring osteosarcoma, or bone cancer, in dogs shares many features of the cancer in people. Timothy Stein, a veterinarian scientist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, is studying bone cancer in dogs, but, he says, "the ultimate goal is to benefit both dogs and humans.....It"s simple: Animal Research saves human and animal lives" [1]
As you can see, a scientist that studies and experiments on dogs, can save both dog and human life. Animal experimenting isn't that bad. Another example is if a animal is going extinct, a scientist can preform experiments on it and try to save it.

2. No Other Living System to Test on.
Living Whole-Body Systems, animal and human alike, are extremely complicated. There is no alternative to testing drugs and medication on something that isn't an animal, as no other thing can predict the results more accurately, do to the complexity of the body. The only other alternative is to test on humans (which they sometimes do), however this may cause the death of a fellow human. So, basically it boils down to this question: Would you rather hurt a lab rat or a human?

3. Regulations
In 1966 the Animal Welfare Act passed. It requires lab animals have clean water, clean food, adequate housing, and regular inspections by a veterinarian. In 1963 the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) was created. Basically, anytime an animal is to be used for testing, the IACUC has to approve it. The IACUC rigidly enforces humane treatment of animals, and animal testing facilities are regularly inspected to make sure animals are treated humanely. All facilities must also comply with the PHS Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals.

Counter Argument

R1. Reason 1
My opponent says animal species become endangered due to testing. He uses Chimpanzees as an example, however Chimpanzees aren't endangered because of testing, they are endangered due to habitat destruction, hunting, and disease.
Here is a quote from SaveTheChimps.org:
"The primary threats to chimpanzees are habitat destruction, hunting, and disease." [2]
As you can see, Chimpanzees aren't endangered because of testing.

My opponent also glosses over the fact that animals must be treated humanely, so a lot of things that he talked about wouldn't happen. For instance "having so many traces of diseases injected into you to the point of it damaging your immune systems" wouldn't happen, as if a disease is injected into them (usually to develop a cure) it wouldn't be multiple, as my opponent claims, because that would ruin the control of the experiment, and in-turn ruin the experiment

My opponent also says "Treat animals the way you want to be treated." and fails to realize that humans have experiments done on them to.

Animals should be experimented on.
This this where I sign off, and I wish my opponent luck.
Vote Pro!

[1] http://www.farmanddairy.com...
[2] http://www.savethechimps.org...
Posted by sboss18 12 months ago
sboss18
Con, I would like to debate you on this topic as well if you'd like to open another debate and challenge me to it.