coolmine6000
Itsallovernow

Should athletes do PE?

coolmine6000

Con

No way! Athletes should not have to be required to take PE!

1) Athletes are probably already getting enough exercise from the sports they are participating in. if you were a coach you wouldn't want to have your athlete be over worked. It could be possible that they wouldn't work as hard or they wouldn't come to practice because they're too tired.

2)The chances of getting an injury in PE are pretty high, especially with all the certain courses they make you take. For example, rom my own experience, we were doing shot put. And as I tossed the shot put, my wrist tweaked and it got a small fracture, therefore I could not compete in a big meet coming up.

3) They could use that period to do homework, instead of coming home and working until 12:00 at night. If they do PE, late night homework and their sport practice... How tired do you think they would be? Being tired at a young age isn't good for a young athletes health.
Itsallovernow

Pro

Thank you for hosting this debate. I wish you luck.

Yes way! Atheletes should have to take PE!

By atheletes, I assume that my opponent means those who partake in extracurricular sports. Assuming this, I shall build my case, and I shall refute his.

REBUTTALS:

1) "Athletes are probably already getting enough exercise from the sports they are in." I would like to remind my opponent that all outside sports related activities are extracurricular; the students do not have to partake. However, PE is a part of the school curriculum. I would like for my opponent to remember that PE is also relevant to the entire school. http://www.cdc.gov... states that nearly 20 percent of America's youth are obese from ages 11-19! With this, it is nessicary not to bend to the small sample size of atheletes, but provide a policy for the entire school, to promote better health and wellness.

This class is nessicary, and can not bend to the personal lives of every student. So, if they have a job that gets in the way, the school will help the student, but not eliminate the program. If a job gets in the way, they may want to consider quitting their job or talk to a counsoler. Physical education, however, is important and is therefore delcared a part of the curriculum.

2) I would like for my opponent to show the high statistic where students can be injured, and until then, the audience disreguard it. Anyone could get hurt with almost anything if they do not follow proper instruction or protocal. There has never been a reasonable instance where someone has been doing shot put and got hurt when they were following the instructions for it. You threw the ball wrong, therefore hurt yourself. That is not a flaw in PE, but either yourself or your teacher for not following or not teaching proper instruction.

3) This contention sounds like you're challenging the viability and vitality of PE. However, your claim is moot. If they do not PE, they will take another class. Either way, they still come home from school at the same time and it does not shorten the school day, and we can not eliminate school.

You state being tired is not good for an athlete's health. Perhaps then they should not do athletic EXTRAcurriculars if they can not do it. We should not eliminate nessicary education for extracurriculars. Your primary education comes first before extracurriculars.

"If you were a coach you wouldn't want to have your athlete be over-worked." I have a classmate in Huntington High School. She recently won the WORLDS WOMEN VAULT COMPETITION! The best in the entire world! And she was just a Junior in high school, the first female American ever to win that event. She still has to do her school-work, and she said at our school welcoming back conference, "My education comes first." I think you should talk to her about being overworked, my friend. Her name is Kayla Williams.
coolmine6000

Con

coolmine6000 forfeited this round.
Itsallovernow

Pro

Itsallovernow forfeited this round.
coolmine6000

Con

coolmine6000 forfeited this round.
Itsallovernow

Pro

My opponent has not rebutted my arguments. Arguments extendned
coolmine6000

Con

coolmine6000 forfeited this round.
Itsallovernow

Pro

My opponent did not rebut. Let the voting begin!