aulover79
lowpoly

Should big Esport games like LOL be considered a real sport?

aulover79
Started: 10/27/2015 Category: Sports

aulover79

Pro

Yes, eSports, Mainly League of Legends should be considered a sport. according to dictionary.com, a sport ""...is an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc."". Basicly, a sport requires several things:
1: athletic
2: Requires physical prowess *or* Skill.
3: often a competitive nature.

League of Legends fills all of those. 1: The amount of brainpower that it uses, and all of the strategy. 2: The second part of that part is uses SKILL. You have to know how to use the champion that you use. And finally, 3: A competitive nature. Have you ever seen the pro Competitions? let me tell you, they are competitive. LOLpro is one of the most competitive sports there is. The stadiums are giant and sold out, along with millions of people watching around the world. On the teams, you have 5 players along with subs and multiple coaches. The desire to win is extreme. all of these together is why i believe that LOL should be considered a sport along with basketball, hockey, football, archery,etc.
lowpoly

Con

Before I begin my argument, allow me to state that I do enjoy playing competitive online games like CS:GO and League of Legends.
I negate the resolution: Popular eSports games such as League of Legends ought to be considered a real sport. Before I begin my case, allow me to define my terms.
Athletic - physically active and strong; good at athletics or sports. Defined by Dictionary.reference.com.
The term athlete implies that one is active, healthy, and strong. Assuming that, for this case, eSports are not real sports as of yet, then sports such as football, soccer, and hockey are real sports. If one is good at "real" sports, then your argument is wrong, seeing as how you have allowed yourself to use the term athletic so loosely. While I cannot counter your argument for skill, as skill is defined as presicion, then allow me to counter your "competitive" argument instead. While there is for sure an air of competition when watching ESL Katowice or a big EVG tournament, that is nothing compared to the rivalries that sports consists of. There is (subjectively) no bigger rival in any professional sport than the Michigan State and Iowa State University football rivalry. Also countering your "amount of people watching" argument, while millions of people watch these tournaments (I would like to see where you got those numbers), 51.9 million people watched the London Olympics in 2012 for more than five minutes, and 909.6 million people watched the 2014 World Cup for more than one minute. I would like to say that I am not against eSports in any way, shape, or form, I am sure that many people do not want their "normal" sports being mixed in with eSports. I know that I am okay with the current system of eSports having a seperate community and having a seperate definiton compared to normal sports.
aulover79

Pro

So basically what you are saying is that "...one is active, healthy, and strong", but would by that definition make shooting not a sport? I would presume that all activities in the Olympics would be considered a sport, but with shooting, what athletic skill does it use? The ability to move a finger back to pull a trigger? Even League of legends takes more athletic ability than shooting. In addition, to counter your popularity aspect, Soccer has been around for almost 3000 years, and the World cup has been around since 1930, that all would explain its numbers. For the time that League has been out, it's doing really good. 30 million watchers in 2014, and 27 million players a day in 2014 (the 2015 numbers haven't come out yet). That is really good when you consider that League of Legends has only been out for 6 years. And if you wait 3 more days, then the 2015 Championship numbers will come out.
lowpoly

Con

lowpoly forfeited this round.
aulover79

Pro

I'm not sure really what to say, except that League has only been out for a few years, and it's quickly rising to the point where it will be bigger than some other sports. The US government has declared that it is a real sport <(http://goo.gl...) btw its Forbes> so why doesn't the rest of the world? Or even the public?
lowpoly

Con

lowpoly forfeited this round.
aulover79

Pro

You forfeit?
Well too bad.
lowpoly

Con

lowpoly forfeited this round.
Posted by aulover79 1 year ago
aulover79
Hey 130075, can you please look at my round 2 argument?
Posted by 130075 1 year ago
130075
Hold on a sec, pro. The three categories are: athletic ability, requiring skill or physical prowess, competitive.

Brainpower is of the mind, not the body. This is not athletic.

Skill: games do not require much physical prowess (clicking? yes, that is physical but nowhere near as much as a sport like soccer, baseball, basketball, football, etc.). they do involve skill though.

Games are competitive, yes. However, in order for LOL to be considered a sport, it has to satisfy all the conditions. LOL is not athletic at all. Some gamers (not all) have horrendous fitness, and if you compare the average sport player to the average LOL player, the sport player is going to be much fitter. The ability to play games well requires no more than the average athletic ability, sometimes less. The ability to play sports requires above average athletic ability (stronger, faster, more flexible, etc.)
Posted by lowpoly 1 year ago
lowpoly
good luck mate, have fun! Also, once more I would like to say that I am not against eSports. I play them often and I personally do believe that they should one day be considered as just sports.
Posted by Lulzy 1 year ago
Lulzy
-Obligatory comment about how League of Legends is a trash game and that I prefer another game-

No, but in all reality, I support Pro in this argument, especially considering how I'm a competitive TF2 player.
Posted by bananaedmonkey 1 year ago
bananaedmonkey
if it makes money then there is no stopping it
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
aulover79lowpolyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture