rellimac
KingInTheNorth16

Should black people get as offended at the 'N' word as they do?

rellimac

Con

Let me start by saying I am in no way a racist but there are things about this topic that I do take issue with.
Point 1: When black people say "that's our word." Well white people gave black people that word to begin with. Also nobody can own words from the English language.
Point 2: Black people have racial slurs for white people, but white people are expected to not get mad about them.
Point 3: It took a lot of time and work for black people to gain equality, yet when white people use the word it's the worst thing ever? In order to be treated equally, black people have to treat white people as equals as well. Not to mention that it is kind of a slap in the face of the people that worked so hard for that equality.
KingInTheNorth16

Pro

First of all, I would like to wish my opponent a respectful, and interesting debate.
1. I personally would not feel right using that word under any circumstance. I have no problem using other curse words, but that id the one word that I just do not feel comfortable using. It has just held too much negative connotation for so long that I wouldn't even think about using it.
I don't think it is right for African Americans to say that it is "their word". I believe that that word should jut be a word that is left in history and not used again. It has only brought pain and controversy to the world and that one word should just be generally left out of common words and phrases we use today.
But, as a white person, I believe that no white person should ever say it. I believe that it carries too much history with white people saying that word and white people should not say it.
I am also by no means a racist and again wish my opponent an entertaining debate.
rellimac

Con

Since you agreed with one of my points, I'll agree that it shouldn't be said. The point is that since I'm positive the word will never be left to history, I don't agree that if it is said it should be met with such hostile resistance if ever we as humans, black, white or otherwise are going to consider each other equal. What my main point that I want to stress is the fact that black people get so offended that it often time elevates to physical confrontation. All because of a single word from the English vocabulary. That to me is insanity.
KingInTheNorth16

Pro

By that logic, then anyone should be able to use any word. That is equivalent to a little kid saying a curse word. While it is true it is just a word in the English dictionary but those words hold special meaning. I believe that words hold meaning and they can obviously hurt someone. Sometimes, like the little kid, it is inappropriate for some words to be used by certain people. That specific word has a historic background and should be used by no one. Especially not Caucasians. The word just holds way to much meaning and has only brought pain.
rellimac

Con

In my experience, I don't think majority of people get as offended about a little kid cursing. I feel like using that as an argument may be a little weak. Usually they get scolded or, worse case, a mouth full of soap but there isn't a bunch of hate toward them if they do curse. "Cracker" or "honkey" can hold a particular meaning to offend someone, but it seems to be less significant in most peoples' eyes. Why should "Nigger" be any different? Just because it has a particular history attached to it? I think it is a widely accepted idea to leave the past in the past. The word doesn't particularly have to be attached to black people either and I know a lot of people who use it to describe anyone, no matter what color. If people are using it to describe anyone, why should black people attach themselves to the word? Why would they want to?
KingInTheNorth16

Pro

KingInTheNorth16 forfeited this round.
Posted by DBPDX 10 months ago
DBPDX
I don't think they should be offended.....its just a word, and if someone actually uses it in a serious conversation, it just means they are trying to incite argument and are best ignored rather than retaliated. That being said, i have no problem with nigga being used in rap, it just sounds so much more swag that "African American". :)
Posted by rellimac 10 months ago
rellimac
You see I really admire when there are people like you who shrug it off and don't let stuff like that, no matter what or who it is, bother you. I would have to respectfully disagree with "Nigga" not being as bad though as I have personally witnessed people get just as offended at that as "Nigger". Not only that, they put people in movies getting just as offended at "Nigga" when white people say it. Either way, I think in general people as a whole should be less sensitive about this kind of nonsense. Anyway I appreciate your comment.
Posted by CravenSwine 10 months ago
CravenSwine
As a black myself, I'll say, there are two "N Words". The first, the discriminatory one, rooted in hate, is Nigger. This is a word that is offensive to several people, black and non alike, as it is racist. (In my opinion, it's not racist, the one who says it is just being a douche). The second is Nigga, the one that black people (mostly) call each other. Nigga isn't "racist", it's ebonics. You don't even "have" to be black to say it. But come on, a word is a word, and they don't mean crap if they're being used like that. If I'm speaking for myself, I don't find it offensive because I don't care, and have better things to do with my time.