Xanxus
Cutiepuffle

Should bounty hunting be legalized in Canada?

Xanxus

Xanxus

Pro

Personally I am still candid on this issue but for the purpose of the argument I will be serving the Pro- Bounty Hunting Camp. I believe Bounty Hunting with be beneficial to society for the following reasons:

i) It will reduce the unemployment by creating more job opportunities through both the training and maintenance of bounty hunting infrastructure. As well as the bounty hunting profession itself.

ii) It will further deter criminals from committing crimes out of fear of having to deal with both the police and bounty hunters know that they have a price placed on their heads.

iii) It will give ex-convicts a chance to reintegrate back into to society using their street smarts and experience as criminals to faster pin down criminals on the run. Which is far better than continuing the cycle and finding their way back to prison.

iv) No university degree will be required. However a training program will have to be undergone in order to become licensed. Thus making Bounty Hunting an attainable job for someone who cannot afford post-secondary education.

v) It could provide valuable experience for people journeying to become policemen, security guards, bouncers, bodyguards, military personnel and other jobs/careers in the Law enforcement and security sector.

I think I'll just keep at five points then. These are just some of the reasons I believe that bounty hunting will be beneficial to society.
Cutiepuffle

Con

Here are my reasons:

1. Bounty hunter is an unstable job. You don't get a fixed pay, but only get paid when you kill criminals.
2. By doing this, criminals will be killed and not able to have a trial where they can attempt to justify themselves.
3. Because many religions ban murder, protests and controversy could arise about this practice.
4. Once again, because the job relies on killing criminals to get paid, bounty hunters could kill/injure each other for the bounty.
5. Because of it's unstable pay and higher chance of dying, there are better job options out there, therefore drawing people away from this job.
6. Because of all the reasons listed above, Canada should focus their efforts on something other than this.

Rebuttal:

As I said earlier, it's an unstable job. Yes getting more people employed is good, but we must also observe the quality of the jobs.

The criminals that actually commit crimes that warrant a bounty (say a murderer) are probably going to be armed and not going to back down easily.

But in order for this to happen, bounty hunting can only be done by people who are confirmed, and thus making it harder for the ex-convicts in your previous argument to get in.

I believe bounty hunting is not worth Canada investing in.

Xanxus

Pro

First off I would like to thank Cutiepuffle for accepting this debate topic and I wish you well. I apologize in advance if I do not structure this debate in the proper fashion.

I would like to first point out that the main priority of a bounty hunter is to capture the fugitive not murder him/her. Of course the warrant may authorize the death of an fugitive but the termination of a fugitive is pays considerably lower than capturing one. Thus it does serve as well of a purpose from a selfish point of view.

Rebuttal:

1.Bounty hunter is an unstable job. You don't get a fixed pay, but only get paid when you kill criminals.

Yes this is true that as a bounty hunter you do not get a fixed pay. You are however incorrect in stating that you only get paid when you kill criminals. Please allow me to explain. Bounty Hunters may only kill criminals if the warrant gives the bounty hunter authorization to do so and/or in a case of self defense that can be proved to the appropriate authorities (Court, judges, police and etc). However in most cases the criminals are captured and are taken to court or a jailing facility until it is time to await trial. Capturing criminals offers a greater pay than murdering them because it is expected to be harder to do. This is not always the case. The first priority is to capture the target, termination of the target is only a last resort.

Yes, some criminals may be killed but this will just further deter crimes and the deaths of those fallen individuals will serve as warning to the public to uphold the law. And as stated in my previous point the murder of a criminal should only serve as a last resort. Capturing a fugitive is much more profitable than murdering one. Also if a criminal is not guilty of a crime why would they not turn themselves in and justify themselves. I understand that some these cases are quite complex but there are still some were this applies. Most fugitives who do have a bounty on their heads have one because they frequently missed court dates and require someone to clearly bring them to court.

3.Because many religions ban murder, protests and controversy could arise about this practice.

Again the capture of the fugitive is the first objective not murder. If the death of a fugitive does occur it is most likely because the fugitive spawned some sort of lethal threat toward the Fugitive Recovery Officers (bounty hunters) or civilian.

4)Once again, because the job relies on killing criminals to get paid, bounty hunters could kill/injure each other for the bounty.

By-laws can easily be put in place to prevent this from happening also it is illegal to murder someone if authorization of lethal force has not been granted. So to murder Bounty hunters just in order to gain a bounty for yourself would be an indictable offense punishable by law. It would also be quickly traced back if you turned in the bounty for yourself depending on how the event in question had gone. Bounties can split between participating bounty hunters.

5)Because of it's unstable pay and higher chance of dying, there are better job options out there, therefore drawing people away from this job.

There are better job options out there. This job is definitely not for everyone and the training program will not be for everyone. There will be physical and psychological exams to make sure the right people enter this profession. There will be times when bounty hunting will be able to make ends meet and times when you may need to take up a second job. But let's face this job isn't meant for top 10% of society but able individuals who are trying everything they can to meet ends meet.

I believe that the introduction of the Bounty Hunting industry will not only deter crime but allow for further employment options for Canadians to choose from. Bounty Hunting can easily become the primary or secondary source of income to many Canadians in need of work.

I would like to again thank Cuttiepuffle for accepting my debate topic and all those who are in-tune with this topic.
Cutiepuffle

Con

Cutiepuffle forfeited this round.
Xanxus

Pro

Bounty Hunting is good! If anyone else wants to debate this topic, I'd be happy to take it up with them.
Cutiepuffle

Con

Cutiepuffle forfeited this round.
Posted by Cutiepuffle 3 years ago
Cutiepuffle
I greatly apologize for not responding. My interest in the topic has been slowly decreasing to the point of procrastinating telling you. Thanks for the debate anyways.
Posted by 00r3d 3 years ago
00r3d
When i think of bounty hunters, it boba fett, flying across the galaxy killing people. Is the killing part off?
Posted by Objective_Being 3 years ago
Objective_Being
This is too broad, select a certain country/state. As far as I know it's legal in every state anyways but bounty hunters have different rights.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
XanxusCutiepuffleTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff