acelestialsky
Stalin_Mario

Should breastfeeding be allowed out in the OPEN in a store?

Stalin_Mario

acelestialsky

Con

I support breastfeeding. I do not think that it is appropriate for women to be doing it out in the OPEN in a store. (Now, please notice that I am using this question for a store only scenario. I don't mind if they do it in a changing room or in the bathroom. But to do it while walking around all nonchalantly, I find inappropriate. I understand that "breasts are natural" and "breastfeeding is natural". Of course I support breastfeeding. But NOT public / open breastfeeding in a store.
My point is that the child should be fed at home. If you cannot feed the child at home, you should stay until you're able to produce enough milk. If it is absolutely necessary to go out in public in a store (to buy medicine or something), then of course that is a different story. Because there are exceptions to every rule.
If it is an emergency, then of course breastfeeding in a store is okay. So although I'm against it mostly, I support it just like anything else if emergency. For example, if there is a fire in your home and you have to flee to a public store and your baby is hungry, of course you have no choice. Or what if you are stranded because your car broke down and the only nearby place is a store? Then of course, breastfeed in the store!
My point is that there are some people who will knowingly leave their house with a hungry baby (I have friends that even claim to do this) because they know they are able to breastfeed in the store they're going to.
I understand you have a baby, but your baby is not the center of the world. There are OTHER people that shop, too. I personally do not bring a pretzel ad soda or pizza into a store, so why should your baby have to eat on demand? I understand they cry when hungry, so there are alternatives... you could take them to the changing room if there is one available. Or you could go home to feed your baby. If home is too far away, I'd say that you have traveled too far with a baby in the first place that you knew had to eat, unless you had no way around it. I understand some people breastfeed children up to 8 years of age. These children can *usually* speak for themselves. Of course there are exceptions to that. But babies, of course they can't speak for themselves, but they will cry. So in that case, I would not even agree with bringing a baby to a store in the first place, unless absolutely necessary. I will tell you one thing. I was raised with siblings, and not once did my mother have to breastfeed me or my siblings in public. I have asked plenty other parents before posting this. Only in a rare occurrence would this occur. My point is that breastfeeding in a store is only appropriate, in my opinion, if there is no other way around it. If a mother is making a habit of it, and relying on the fact that she could breastfeed in public, then I think that is inappropriate and taking advantage. There are also benches inside at some stores that a mother can sit down in and breastfeed with a cloth over her breast. I find that perfectly acceptable! But walking around a store shopping while feeding just is inappropriate to me.

While I'm shopping or eating, I do not want to see a mother's breast or the milk. There are many who will agree with that.
Stalin_Mario

Pro

Okay so my opponent has clearly stated that he does not enjoy seeing mothers breast feeding their babies in public, especially in a store. To me this sounds like a personal problem, and I only say this because of how specific you gave your examples and such.

Now you have not really given great reasons on why they shouldn't be allowed to breast feed other than "I don't like it, and some other people don't like it too".

The problem with that is that if we made laws based on people personally not liking things, then what is so different from me saying "I don't like it when people walk around with canes, picking their noses, scratching their eyes, wearing blue shirts, or even I don't like it when Mexicans are in the same store as me." (Note those are just examples and I don't believe in any of them) nothing really. If we made laws based on people's personal feelings rather than on logical reasoning and thinking, then this whole world be an awful place to the majority.

However; if a private owned store clearly states that it does not want a women to breast feed within it's property, then that store has every right to do so. But a private owned store that allows woman to breast feed should not have to be forced by law to not be able to do so. Now in public, a woman should be able to breast feed whenever she wants where ever, without worrying about being arrested, etc.

See this is the thing with freedom, people are free to do whatever they want, as long as they aren't physically hurting others and/or breaking a rule within private owned property. That is all, hopefully I have changed your mind, if not, then I would like to see the rest of your argument.
acelestialsky

Con

acelestialsky forfeited this round.
Stalin_Mario

Pro

My opponent has forfeited the second round. Reasons unknown; however very likely because he did not have the time to either check his email and/or respond.
acelestialsky

Con

acelestialsky forfeited this round.
Stalin_Mario

Pro

My opponent again has forfeited. Nothing left to say, other than have fun voting.
Posted by USN276 3 years ago
USN276
@russianI rather her take care of it in a bathroom. ever heard of one?
Posted by ESocialBookworm 3 years ago
ESocialBookworm
What she gotta do, she gotta do...
Posted by Russian 3 years ago
Russian
Would you rather the baby cry, making your ears ring for 8 hours?
Vote Placed by GodChoosesLife 3 years ago
GodChoosesLife
acelestialskyStalin_MarioTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF con made no further arguments so pro gets points for cobvibing arguments (also because he addressed cons thoughts with thought out points) and conduct.
Vote Placed by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
acelestialskyStalin_MarioTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.