Stefy
Squirrelnuts57

Should buffer zones for pro-life protesters exist around abortion clinics?

Stefy

Pro

The main argument against the existence of buffer zones is that they violate rights to freedom of speech and assembly for pro-life protesters, however, free speech and assembly rights do not extend to harassment. By being able to go directly up to a woman going to the clinic to argue with her and try to stop her violates her legal right to go to the clinic.
One of the reasons that pro-life use in their argument is that the suicide rate for women after they have had abortions is extremely high. While this is true, the stigma, harassment and shaming they receive from the community contributes to this, and being yelled at from only a couple feet away that you are a murderer and going to Hell on one of the most difficult days of their lives is not healthy for one's mental state. For the protection of the rights of women going to these clinics as well as their physical and mental safety, buffer zones should exist to allow protesters to assemble, but not to be right next to the clinic so that women can exercise their rights in peace.
Squirrelnuts57

Con

Hello Stefy, I accept your debate challegne.
Being that you said pro-life groups use the statistic that the "scuicide rate for women after they have an abortion is extremely high" to keep a pregnant mother from aborting a child, and that the pressure from the pro-life protestants is what really causes mothers to take their own lives, I would like to disagree. Don't you think that maybe, the ex-mother realizes that they have ended the life of an innocent child that was created of the mother's own actions? Being that I have been to a Planned Parenthood, with a group of pro-life protestants, I know what they usually say. Let me tell you, a group of people that are mainly Christians for pro-life, would NOT want to be causing or talking about scuicide in women who have aborted children. Along with a commenter of this debate, I too have witnessed a teenage woman exit an abortion clinic with tears in her eyes at the realization of what she had done. One of the woman in our group went to comfort the young lady. She did not say "You are a murderer and you are going to Hell." as you might expect, but told her that she had an abortion once and dealt with the same things that she will. She told her that, "Things could become better." Now, after that statement your chin may be scraping the floor and there might already be flies buzzing around in you "surprised" open mouth, but I need to say something even more shocking than an evil pro-lifer forgiving and comforting a girl who had just ridden herself of her child. That girl who had just had an abortion if she could sta d with us and prevent more abortions at that clinic that day. Following that whole shocking experience, another teenage girl got out of her car and exited the clinic, while her mother who was in the car, came up to talk to us. She asked us to pray for her daughter, so being that we were there to help we prayed like she requested. A few minutes later the daughter exited crying (like the girl before) but she was also smiling. She joined her mom and told her that she chose to keep the baby. The mom celebrated and hugged the daughter and then asked us for a pamphlet because a friend of the daughter was debating on aborting her child. So, saying that pro-life groups are the fault of women's scuicide after abortion, is rather unreliable. They help those women more than they harm them, so why should they be held back from doing that?
Thus concludes my first argument.
Stefy

Pro

i would like to clarify my point that this debate is not about the ethical or inethical nature of abortions or about whether pro-lifers should be allowed to protest, but about whether or not they should be allowed yo be right next to the clinic. I would also like to add that i am pto life in my personal life but politically I am pro choice because you never know the situation of the individual. For example their was a couple who had been trying to have a baby for a long time and the wife finally became pregnant and they had named the baby Alexandra. However, they found out the baby was dying in her womb and would be stillborn and giving birth could cause the wife problems, so they made the incredibly painful and difficult decision to get an abortion procedure, but the protesters had access to her and wouldnt listen to her and were telling her that she was wrong to be doing this and, while i believe they had good intentions, were making this poor woman feel worse during an already painful expirience (The Young Turks). And no, I do not think that pro-lifers are evil and I also am truly trying to have a respectful debate and I would appreciate it if you halted the condescending language and insults because contrary to what you may believe, i respect your opinion.
I believe that buffer zones should exist because protesters have rights to freedom and assembly, but they are protesting a legal system that allows abortion amd they should be lobbying to get the law change or starting support groups for women who are depressed post abortion. And if they want to protest at clinics, they should at least keep a little distance to respect the rights of women until such time when and if they get the law changed.
Squirrelnuts57

Con

stefy
I want you to realize that the group I was with was yards away from the clinic, and not right next to it. I agree that the group should keep their distance and not be stubborn, but I do not think it should be legally inforcecd. I Think that the grop should keep in mind that the discision should be treated with sensitivity. What if the person that the expecting mother is with disagrees and urgently wants the soon to be mom to make the overall best decision. If the group was held back from the clinic at a certain amount of distance they may not be able to stop the mom. Some of the women that weto the abortion clinic that day just waltzed right in. Shouldn't they able to stop her before she makes one of the biggest decisions of her life? Also in your replyou asked me to stop with the language. I am not a person who really swears, nor do I recall swearing at you in the last round. I apologize for offending you in my last argument.
Thus concludes my second argument.
Stefy

Pro

Not a problem. Not offended.
So the only point I think we really differ on now since you say its good to keep your distance, is the question of legal emforcement. I believe that what we are really split on is that you said they should be able to stop the woman before she makes such a huge decision. My view is that in most cases the women have already thought it through and even if they haven't it is not up to strangers to give them unsolicited advice. It is her legal right to "waltz right in" while the law is in place. I undersrand the strong opinions of the pro-lifers as well as the good intentions of most of them, but the legal enforcement of buffer zones allow them to express opinions while not infringing on the private lives and decisions of these women, as well as protecting them from, while I recognize its not all of them, any radicalized protesters that may harass the women, which definately is a problem at present. This next statement is nit quite related to the topic of buffer zones, but again a suggestion I have, while i do disagree, is that if you would like your pro-life movement to succeed that you push for legal change or attempt to launch public awarness and education camaigns to end access and if you get enough people on your side you can get a ban passed. Thats the beauty of free activism. I believe this preferable to both sides, rather than standing outside individual clinics. Thank.you for your time it was interesting to debate with you.
Squirrelnuts57

Con

Yes, these public campaigns you speak of already in place. Awareness is being raised on the topic of abortion and education of certain things are being demonstrated all over the nation already. In fact it's success has spread in 2013 only, a total of 93 clinics were closed by the government after the campaigns took place. Now only about 750 clinics remain. I too found this an interesting debate, and I hope that some of my statements made you think a bit on this topic (if i'm lucky you have changed your mind a bit and are looking more towards pro-ideas). Now with these last statements you and I are resigning from the debate. It is now the choice of the voters.
I will list my source for information on the rate of abortion clinics closing here http://www.lifenews.com...
and for more information on pro-life movement, and some details about visit http://www.prolifeaction.org.... Thanks for the debate and for actually replying stefy.
Thus concludes my final argument/statement.
Posted by cheyennebodie 3 years ago
cheyennebodie
I have been to death clinics . And I never saw any life people harass anyone. All they do is pass out literature for alternatives to death for their baby.

I remember this one young woman approach the death camp for her baby and the " escorts" surrounded her immediately.They were there to " protect " her from the evil people who thinks it is wrong for a mother to kill her baby.They were successful. She went in. About an hour and a half later she came out. She had this troubled look on her face. What she had done was final and that hit her.The " escorts " did not even look up and give her even a look. But those evil pro-lifers went to her with some comfort.She stood there and actually cried on one woman's shoulder.

Yes. You pro-deathers are successful in killing off 60,000,000 babies since 1973. You should be proud.
Vote Placed by Hello83433 2 years ago
Hello83433
StefySquirrelnuts57Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had two sources in last round. Conduct to Con for addressing a false accusation very delicately. Arguments to Con for text to world and text to self connections disproving Pro's arguments.
Vote Placed by TrustmeImlying 3 years ago
TrustmeImlying
StefySquirrelnuts57Tied
Reasons for voting decision: .