Should "bullies" go to jail if they bully a child who commited suicide

first to accept will be my opponent

We should not send bullies to jail if children the bully commit suicide for a number of reasons.

The most simple one of these is that the bully could not have known that their bullying would lead to such a disastrous event. Up and down the country thousands or maybe even tens of thousands of children are bullied each year, and in the U.K only 176 children killed themselves between 2000 and 2008 (source While this number is still far too big it is a tiny percentage. So the bully would have no way of knowing what a disastrous event they would cause.

And while you may argue that it should still count as manslaughter remember, this child is still choosing to do this. No matter how terrible the bully was making their life they didn't force the child to kill themselves. They chose to do it, and I don't think you can blame anyone else, no matter how horrible they are, for the child's own choice.

I will be posting my arguement, and argueing con's.
Ok, so the bullies go to school, and hear about suicide everyday. They have bullying campains all over the world, so you cannot argue that the bully had no knowledge of the consequences of his bullying. The bully knows that they are harming the child/teen by bullying them. They understand that harming someone emotionally, and or physically can harm someone to the point of Dieing.

And the bully does force the child into death, because the bully is making the childs life metaphorically "hell".
Bullies have heard many campains, unless they live under a rock. And yes, they should go to jail, or juvi for manslaughter charges because they killed someone invertedly through bullying.

Now Onto cons arguement.
176 kids killed themselves! That is 176 more children then it should be. 4,000 deaths per year because of bullying. That is way to many, the bullies should learn from their mistakes, and spend time thinking about their mistakes. Yes, the child is choosing this, because the bully has pushed them to do so.

Ok I will begin by replying to the pro's argument before going on to make another of my own.
First to respond to the pro's argument it is no certain thing that bullies even know the effect of what they are doing. Yes if they are physically attacking this child they will probably know what they are doing, unless they are unbelievably stupid, but they often don't know how damaging what they are doing is if they are just teasing. They probably think that it is, "Just a bit of fun." And they have no idea what the things they are saying is doing to the child inside.
Also the definition of manslaughter is
The unjustifiable, inexcusable, and intentional killing of a human being without deliberation, premeditation, and malice. The unlawful killing of a human being without any deliberation, which may be involuntary, in the commission of a lawful act without due caution and circumspection.
The unlawful KILLING of a human being. no matter what the bully has done they did not kill the child. The child chose to kill themselves. Therefore by definition it is not manslaughter.
(definition from

Now onto my own point. Please nobody vote bomb me for saying this but we do have to question the mind-set of someone who is driven to such lengths. You are right about one thing, to drive a child to suicide a bully would have to truly make their life hell, and I do not believe most bullies have it in them to drive a child to this level. I have been bullied and that was not a bit of teasing that was proper, hard-core bullying. But the concept of suicide never even crossed my mind. I truly believe that in order to be driven to suicide by bullying you must already be either slightly unstable or incredibly sensitive. Which brings me back to my original point that the bully could not possibly have had any idea that the poor child they were bullying had this kind of mind-set, and so they can not be fully blamed for the effect of their bullying.

First off I would like to state that the bully knows that teasing could damage someone, because of bullying campaigns.
They would have to be stupid not to know that teasing could hurt someone, mentally.
And the children who commit suicide might not have mental issues, I have been bullied, hardcore also, and I have almost commited suicide. That doesnt mean i am mentally ill. It is not the persons fault that they are sensetive, it matters that someone is hurting them enough to make them contimplate suicide. Everyone is different, one child might be bullied so bad that they will kill themselves, and some might be tough skined. We need to show these bullies that they could potentially hurt people to the extent of them commiting suicide. These bullies kill children, whether they mean to or not, they still have bullied the child enough to make them kill themselves. For this they should go to juvi, or jail, and spend time thinking about what they have done to a child.
Im not saying they should be tried as adults, but they should spend time for invertedly killing someone. They have an idea of what a bully is, and what a bully does, unless they are incredibally stupid, which noone is incredibally stupid, so they know if they are hurting someone mentally or physically.

Ok to start of I would just like to address the point that bullies are not incredibly stupid. These are people who's main source of entertainment is annoying other people. Does that sound like someone intelligent to you? I have met clever bullies but they are very few and far between. The vast vast majority of bullies are so unbelievably stupid that their stupidity should be classed as a mental illness. These bullies are not paying attention to the campaigns, they probably don't even know the campaigns are going on, except as a source of amusement and something to laugh at. (I have observed all of these things within my year group at school.)

Now I would like to go back to the definition of manslaughter.
As I said in my last speech, manslaughter is the unlawful KILLING of a human being. These bullies are still not killing anyone, they are driving them to kill themselves. There is a very big difference. It is like the difference between throwing someone of a cliff, and just pushing them to the edge, the person on the edge still has to choose to jump. So by the definition of manslaughter which is what I believe we are accusing the bully of in this debate he has not committed manslaughter, due to the fact that they did not kill them child, they drove the child to killing themselves.
Posted by srehtiw 3 years ago
Thank you. Good luck to you to0.
Posted by NorthDebater 3 years ago
Haha, very true. Youre A Great Opponent. Goodluck on future debates.(:
Posted by srehtiw 3 years ago
This was fun. I think I might try arguing something a bit less controversial next time though.
Posted by NorthDebater 3 years ago
Encouraging suicide is manslaughter. Just informing you.
Vote Placed by TheAntidoter 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: No sources from pro, I believe both arguments were par.