DJSquiggle
Assassin801x

Should businesses be allowed to refuse service to homosexuals?

DJSquiggle

Con

I believe that no buisness should have the right to deny service to anyone.
Assassin801x

Pro

America is a country based on freedom. People died for our freedom. A free country used to be very ideological, but America proved that it could be achieved and still being the number 1 economy. It is very simple to say that it is unfair that businesses have the "right" to discriminate but it is much more complicated.

Argument 1: People still have the right to be a holes. Businesses have sacred rights. First let's define what a business is. Business-2.the practice of making one's living by engaging in commerce: Oxford University Press
Businessmen are basically people that trade for profit. Now, it is a sacred right for a businessman to sell to anyone that he wants to. But, you see that businessman has made a very stupid decision. He has left a group of people with money in their pockets to spend somewhere else. So, lets just say that McDonalds suddenly becomes racist. It will not serve anybody unless they are white. (38.9 million Americans identified as "Black or African-American," representing 12.6% of the population). (21.5 million latinos live in America.) Those are just two races who have money to spend. If Burger King says we will let you shop here. Than Burger King makes more money than McDonalds. My argument is you don't need the government to punish people with views that are ignorant and morally unacceptable my our society. Our society will punish that business by not shopping there.
DJSquiggle

Con

You prove a very good point. In this day in age it is unacceptable to refuse service to anyone, except gay people. I for one view this as morally wrong. People also don't have the right to violate another person's rights and refuse them service. Refusing services to someone based on "religious beliefs" is just a legal way for people to discriminate. They're abusing the first amendment right of freedom of religion to their advantage.
Assassin801x

Pro

Your right. These people are abusing their rights, but in the end you can't enforce your own opinion on how morality works to a simple Christian who believes he will go to hell if he serves that group of people. Just as I can't force you not to do business with a person who joined the KKK. We can't force each other to obey each version of morality. But, in the end, this is America. It is okay to have different views on how morality works. But, you can't force people into believing in your version of morality even if your right. I have a right to trade with the people I want to trade with. You can't force me into trading with the KKK. I agree with you on the fact that we should all have fair trade no matter what race your in, but you are making a big mistake when you make the federal government forcefully fine or imprison people with different viewpoints.
DJSquiggle

Con

"...you can't enforce your own opinion on how morality works to a simple Christian who believes he will go to hell if he serves that group of people." Is what you're saying, but based on that, what is stopping a KKK member to refuse service to a Black person? It's the exact same thing. It is ok to have different views, but there is a fine line when it comes to freedom of religion. Freedom of religion allows you to practice whatever you want, but it also protects you from religion. They are just using religion to get away with bigotry, and whether or not you want to believe it, bigotry is bigotry no matter what "rights" or "beliefs" you are expressing.
Assassin801x

Pro

Assassin801x forfeited this round.
DJSquiggle

Con

DJSquiggle forfeited this round.
Assassin801x

Pro

Assassin801x forfeited this round.
DJSquiggle

Con

DJSquiggle forfeited this round.
Assassin801x

Pro

Assassin801x forfeited this round.
Posted by DJSquiggle 1 year ago
DJSquiggle
Even thought it was only a problem till a year ago, I wasn't one of those bandwagon people. I have family members who are gay and I've always cared.
Posted by Sarra 1 year ago
Sarra
*rolls eyes*
No one was concerned about whether they were serving gays until about a year ago. Is this not a backlash from bigoted people who are against gay marriage?