JanaeJanay
Cobo

Should calling people the n-word be banned for both whites and blacks.

Cobo

JanaeJanay

Pro

Ok I will start by saying that I am new up here so thank you to whomever chooses to by my opponent.

To start I will say that I am a black girl and I feel that the N- word should be banned from the vocabulary of every race and yes I do understand that the law states that every person has the freedom of speech.
Cobo

Con

I would like thank my opponent for the following debate and bringing up a topic such as this.
I would also like to take the time to verify multiple things

1.N-word-While it is generally assume what the N-word is. I would still like a standard definition from a reliable source(wikipedia will do)
2.Race Factor-A race factor should not be taken in this debate simply because I am black as well. So if my opponent tries to state that "I can't understand because I'm not black", please do not take this into account when you are voting.

I now await my opponents opening arguments.
JanaeJanay

Pro

The reason that I chose this topic is because my english class had a debate about this topic and it interested me of the way many people reacted.

The definition of a N is a dark-skinned person from the french word Ne'gre .
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigger
and if you look inside of a dictionary with paper or whaever it says an ignorant person.

The reason that I believe the word should be banned is simple actually most black people feel hat white people shouldnt call the a N because they feel that the word is just so offensive another mos of them walk around saying it to themselve. They say it reminds them of when there ancestors were in slavery, but to me it is stupid if white people shouldnt say it because it is offensive, then why should they be able to walk around saying it to other black people.
Cobo

Con

I would like to thank my opponent again for this wonderful debate.

Now judges, I will first give some brief observations(Section A) then begin my arguments(Section B) then attack my opponents arguments(Section C) the give some reasons why I should win (Section D)

Section A

Observation 1-A Lackluster definition
This definition is not close to relevant in today's debate nor is it the actual definition from wikipedia
This is the actual definition.

"Nigger is a noun in the English language, most notable for its usage in a pejorative context to refer to black people (generally people of Sub-Saharan African descent), and also as an informal slang term, among other contexts. It is a common ethnic slur. The word originated as a term used in a neutral context to refer to black people, as a variation of the Spanish/Portuguese noun negro, a descendant of the Latin adjective niger, meaning the color "black""
We should abide by this definition the entire round since my opponent has no given a reasonable definition.

Observation 2-Resolution is different than the title
The title of this debate is "Should calling people the n-word be banned for both whites and blacks?"
In my opponents opening speech my opponent stated that "I feel that the N- word should be banned from the vocabulary of every race" meaning that they cannot say it in general and that the people that say it aren't only black and white.(With or without a person of Black Ethnicity in the surrounding)
This should be the resolution that is followed.

Section B-My Arguments

Agruement 1-America is the land of individual rights and freedom of speech

America, One of the most free nations in the world. America was based on a multitude of radical ideals(At the time radical) that still guide us this day. And one of those was the freedom of speech.
This entitles a Citizen to say what they want an not be prosecuted for it.
Banning a word(If that is even possible) would take away from what America was based on.
As Americans we have the rights to say what we want to say whether it is
-Criticizing the government(A favourite pastime)
-Complaining about something(Another favourite pastime)
-Calling someone a slang term(Look a definition)

This is our right as Americans

Argument 2-Impossible to mediate or censor what somebody says

This is Not Television.
Every time someone says something that my be offensive to one particular person we cannot "BLEEP" it out or ***** it either.
It is impossible to control what someone says with their mouth.
And to prove it I cannot control what my opponent can say next round
(I'd like to let it be known that this argument was for proving a point and the example was not a joke a should be taken into account for)

Agruement 3-Irresponsible to focus on banning one word that might be offensive to someone

To get down to the gist of this argument, what I'm basically saying that I one word is offensive then any words that are offensive should be taken out of context, which would be logically impossible.
So whenever someone calls me stupid(In the funny stupid way) then that word should be taking out of our vocabulary, even if I'm not offended.
Lets face it, People get offended all the time no matter what you say.
So when you cater to one word you have to cater to them all.

Section C-Opponent Argument's

My opponents main argument is that
"Some(Black people I presume) think it offensive while some call themselves that"
My Attacks against this are as follows
-Define Most Black People(Because I don't care what anyone says, but hey that's me)
-Do you have any sources to prove what some people think?

Section D

My opponents Case is lacking three major things
Arguments
True understanding of the topic at hand

While you have seen me give three major points you have seen my opponent with none but one.
But what this debate boils down to is the fact that Words are words.
We have the rights to say what we want. If one person is offended by it who are we to say a word should be banned.

I would again like to thank my opponent for today's debate
JanaeJanay

Pro

I would like to apologize for my spelling in the previous round.

Let me start by saying by first off I have given my opponent a definition it might not be what he want to read but it is a definition a dark-skinned person.
Maybe I should have revised my work. In my statement I said "I feel that the N-word should be banned from the vocabulary of every race", I did actually mean blacks and whites. Since these two races seem to have the most trouble with the word.

Like I said from the very beginning I do understand that America states in the Bill of Rights that we have the freedom of speech and yes I do agree that everyone should be able to say what they want. But at the same time if you are going to be offended when someone calls you something but you don't want another race to call you that then why not ban the word "since it just seems to have this huge effect on people."

Banning the word(it is not possible but I'm using figure of speech) might be irresponsible in my opponents view but not everyone has the same opinion.
My opponents states that "So whenever someone calls me stupid (In the funny stupid way) then that word should be taking out of our vocabulary, even if I'm not offended." but no everyone reacts the same way some people will laugh and some will hop up with their fist in the air. An eleven year old boy even thought that the word should be banned.
www.newsroom.blogs.cnn.com/2009/09/30/effort-to-abolish-the-n-word
If that is not inspiring and commitment to what he was then I don't know what is.
Cobo

Con

I would like to lastly thank my Opponent for today's debate.
I would also like to apologize for the foul language in my Case(Sorry Just trying to prove a point).

Now I will continue to go by the resolution my opponent has set in her first an second speeches.
Not the Title.

First on to my Opponents Case

First of All I would like to let it be known that my Opponent's definition of Nigger Is not appropriate for this debate.
That definition is talking about what someone looks like a.k.a a descriptive term.
What I'm sure me and my opponent were talking about was the RACIAL SLUR not a description.
Dark-skinned person could apply to many people.
Are Latin-Americans classified as Dark-skinned?
How about Australian Aborigines?

Second of All my opponent My opponent brings up a source from ONE, ELEVEN year old child.
He talks about how the n-word is offensive to people and how it should be banned.
All word's can be offensive if use a certain way. That does not mean they should be kicked out of our dictionary.
I can name multiple examples
D*ck-A former surname
P*ssy-A former name for a cat
J*ack*ss-A Name for a donkey

But none of these words are on the chopping block. Suspicious hmmm?

And thirdly my opponent contradicts herself.
My Opponent says that No word can be taken out of Language.
She states in her first speech "I feel that the N- word should be banned from the vocabulary of every race"
And in her Second Speech "I believe the word should be banned"
And Third Speech "Banning the word(it is not possible but I'm using figure of speech)"

This proves my opponent does not deserve to win today's debate because she has not upheld her side to the fullest.
And second of all, That is not a figure of speech.

Examples of figures of speech include:

"It's raining cats and dogs" means it's raining intensely.
"I'll give you a piece of my mind" means the speaker will state a frank opinion.
"Butterflies in your stomach" figuratively describes nervousness.
"You want a piece of me?" means "Do you want a fight?"
"You're climbing the ladder to success!" means "You are doing a decent job at trying to achieve success."
Source:http://en.wikipedia.org...

Now then to sum up my case.
There is plenty of offensive speech that is used by everybody, everyday, everywhere. There are so many words that are offensive to so many people that it is impossible to keep track of what is considered taboo.
This is the United States of America, people!
We have a little something called "freedom of speech"! No matter how offensive a word is to anybody you CANNOT just BAN a word! Where will it end?
Ban this word. How about banning "illegal alien"? The word "fat"? It can go on and on and on. The "n-word" is not more special or more offensive than any other word. It does not matter. Free speech is protected. If certain speech or a certain word isn't offensive or controversial it does not need protection.
Again, this is The United States of America. What makes this country so wonderful is that we Americans have these rights. The right to say what we want, as ugly or offensive or controversial as people might feel it is. Do you want to start throwing people in prison re education camps if they say something that hurts someone's feelings?
If so, Communism is alive and well in Cuba.

My opponent has not even touched my case.
She has merely stated that not everyone has the same opinion an that She disagrees with me without any reasoning whatsoever.

Now to sum up the round-
Voter 1-Con upheld Resolution side. Pro did not
-As you can see throughout the round Pro did not fully support the resolution. She says it herself "it is impossible to ban a word". Yet she is advocating that the "N-word" Should be banned.
Voter 2-Lack of Agruementation
-You can also see my opponent did not argue against any of my points nor did she argue for her own.

These two voters are the main reasons why I should win this debate despite many other(Lack of understanding, Horrid Definitions that do not suit what we are talking about, etc)

I would again, like to apologize for the foul language in my Case(Sorry Just trying to prove a point)

I wish my opponent a good stay here at debate.org and look forward to debating against her sometimes
Posted by jaydee 6 years ago
jaydee
I know this is a week old,but I got on here and somehow dug this debate out. I would just like to throw my 2 cents in.

The power is not in the word, but in the people that give power to the word.
Think about that.

How do you u like dem apples?
XD my favorite phrase.lol
Posted by CosmicAlfonzo 6 years ago
CosmicAlfonzo
made comment prematurely, smack me in the face
Posted by CosmicAlfonzo 6 years ago
CosmicAlfonzo
*cough* 1st amendment *cough*
Posted by Cobo 6 years ago
Cobo
Bout to post my agruement.
Posted by JanaeJanay 6 years ago
JanaeJanay
ok i get it and you actually helped me with my paper to thank you.
Posted by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
People aren't separated by words. Words are the mechanism by which people come together. The context of the word is what is important. If I were to say that the word, nigger, can be a useful tool in bringing people together, I would not be wrong. For example, I can make a very strong appeal to emotion by saying aloud, "Those who use the nigger to defame human beings of with a different skin color are ignorant, and we should all be aware that these types of people must be educated in the ways of civil rights." I have just used this word to call out the racist hatemongers for what they are, and have in no way inflicted emotional harm to my fellow humans. You see what I'm getting at?
Posted by JanaeJanay 6 years ago
JanaeJanay
Thank you gavin.ogden you make a very good point, but answer this question please But you love to live in a place where people weren't separated by this one word.
Posted by SuperRobotWars 6 years ago
SuperRobotWars
Will happen if we are allowed to forget
Posted by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
The N word. Are you talking about the word, "Nigger?" While I agree that it is wrong and hateful to call anyone that name, taking the word out of our vocabulary would be irresponsible. It is a reminder of the past racism that should never be allowed to prevail again, and those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.
Vote Placed by Dakota-Hiltzman 6 years ago
Dakota-Hiltzman
JanaeJanayCoboTied
Reasons for voting decision: I still believe the Pro stance on this matter for much different reasons, but the Con overwhelmingly won this debate.
Vote Placed by apologia101 6 years ago
apologia101
JanaeJanayCoboTied
Vote Placed by Grape 6 years ago
Grape
JanaeJanayCoboTied
Vote Placed by JanaeJanay 6 years ago
JanaeJanay
JanaeJanayCoboTied
Vote Placed by GeoLaureate8 6 years ago
GeoLaureate8
JanaeJanayCoboTied
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
JanaeJanayCoboTied