studentlegislator
IseWll

Should canabis be legalized

studentlegislator

Pro

I believe that cannabis should be legalized because of its health and economic benefits we can look at Colorado and other states that legalized it and we can see they did better because of it here are just some of many medical benefits
>It can be used to treat Glaucoma.
>It may help reverse the carcinogenic effects of tobacco and improve lung health.
>It can help control epileptic seizures.
>A chemical found in marijuana stops cancer from spreading.
>It may decrease anxiety.
And trust me when
I say those were just a few of many benefits
Now the economic benefits
> Colorado alone gained 76 million in revenue just last year for cannabis legalization
>The state of Washington had a whopping 70 million in tax revenue for cannabis
Therefore, The pros of legalizing cannabis outweigh the cons
IseWll

Con

I am glad to be able to contend this, frankly, ridiculous statement by the pro. Firstly, I am British and I am proud that no government in the UK has ever considered legalising cannabis. Perhaps its effects have been debated over the years. For example, it was reclassified as a class C drug in 2004 but then returned to its rightful place as a dangerous and addictive class B drug in 2009.
I would first like to analyse the pro's suggestion that cannabis cures Glaucoma. Yes, cannabis has been said by some to help with the treatment of Glaucoma. The NHS suggests that the best way to treat the disease is with eye drops. I do accept that this does not completely cure the illness, however, I would not want to put myself at risk of becoming dependent on cannabis. 10% of regular cannabis become dependent and they do develop a tolerance to it, meaning you have to take more to get the same high as you did, say, last week.
I do understand that cannabis has rather positive effects in the immediate short term, such as mood enhancement, relaxant and "getting the giggles." However, in the long term, cannabis has incredibly negative effects, such as:
- sickness/fainting
- sleepy/lethargic
- memory problems
- confusion
- according to NHS Choices it actually can cause anxiety and depression (the opposite of what the pro says)
- panic attacks and hallucinations
- some people have suggested that cannabis causes rabies, but I am not certain on this
So, it is clear that cannabis has many negative effects and, for me, these very much outweigh the "pros".
I don't know about the pro but I have never, and will never, take cannabis and I am not going to change that opinion.
I eagerly await the pro's response and look forward to round 2.
studentlegislator

Pro

But one has to agree it is safer than taking pills and drinking for example drinking alcohol caused 88 ,000 deaths last year marijuana has never killed claimed a life however alcohol and cigarettes are still legal and cannabis is still illegal
IseWll

Con

When you say "taking pills", are you just referring to all pills, medical and recreational? Because, if you are and I don't know about you, I would much rather take some paracetamol or ibuprofen, which have been rigorously tested for any side effects in clinics trials, laboratory tests etc.
I do accept that there are more deaths from alcohol than from cannabis. But, alcohol and tobacco have not been made illegal and people do not worry so much about them because they have been around for so long, and because so many people use them, mostly in secure, social settings. There is no regulation as to how much cannabis is acceptable and healthy for the body. IT IS ILLEGAL and that is a good thing.
By the way, I do believe smoking tobacco should be made illegal. This is because when a person smokes, they are indirectly harming nearby people, due to the smoke. Alcohol does not do this. The person who consumes it is effected by it. But, like alcohol, it would be difficult to prohibit because it has been used for so many centuries. However, I am pleased that Britain has become more aware of the problems with tobacco and is doing more to eliminate it. For example, at the beginning of October, a new law came into place to prevent people from smoking in cars with children. This is a very positive step forward.
In my opinion, people who take illegal drugs and deal them to other people including children are parasites in society.
I would also like to point out that the pro's grammar and punctuation is appalling and they seem to be ignoring the statement at the top of the page when typing the argument that says "It is important to have good grammar, punctuation and spelling."
studentlegislator

Pro

First of all the pills I was referring to was dangerous ones such as oxy cotton's and tons of other dangerous. Also, Alcohol does harm others because when an individual consumes alcohol they may become violent, plus when they drive they not only endanger their lives but also endanger those in the car and anyone driving around them. Yes, pot is an illegal drug ,however, you mentioned how tobacco harms its consumer and those around them wich can cause a variety of sickness such as cancer. Marijuana does not cause this in fact marijuana cures/lessens the effects of cancer and other diseases and is by far safer than Chemotherapy. and ask yourself who you and what authority do you possess to tell someone what and what they cannot put In their bodies. You also pointed out my grammar well I'm sorry it's not perfect, but I do believe I get my point across, and if you have to point out my grammar mistakes one must wonder about the mistakes you make and wonder if you have to stoop so low to point out small grammar mistakes how terrible your points must be. I also would like to now take this time to thank you for this wonderful debate hope you have a lovely day
IseWll

Con

You seem to be saying that I am confronting and being ignorant towards other people's beliefs, as if cannabis is a religion. I am not doing this and I can tell you now, what I am saying is fact and nothing else. All my suggestions have come from trusted sources. You are right, I do not have any authority, but I am saying all this based on the authority and ideas and facts of others who do.
In response to the pro saying alcohol causes dangerous driving, I say this is true. However, cannabis does exactly the same. It slows down people's reaction time, giving them sloth-like reflexes.
Cannabis also has effects on people's appearances. It gives them bloodshot eyes and also causes them to become depressed, which obviously has a negative effect on how they treat themselves and how they feel about themselves. It can give people "the munchies" which has an effect on their diet. All this together makes the person a most unattractive proposition.
Cannabis can also disrupt the control of blood pressure and increase the risk of fainting. Use of it can pose significant dangers for those with heart and circulation disorders and for those with schizophrenia.
When the pro said that cannabis does not affect others around the smoker, it turns out it can have effects on others. For example, the birth weight of children whose pregnant mothers smoked cannabis might be lower than expected due to carbon monoxide in the smoke. It also carries a risk of defects and deformities in newborn children.
I find what the pro is saying about how cannabis lessens the effects of cancer quite and utterly ridiculous. According to the NHS, cannabis contains carcinogens (cancer-causing substances) which, when inhaled, can increase the risk of lung cancer. As one of the people who commented said, "cannabis contains 4 times as many carcinogens a tobacco."
Cannabis can affect a person's fertility. It disrupts sperm production in males and stops ovulation in females.
I'm sure I have not been able to persuade the pro that taking cannabis is stupid but I hope I have done enough to persuade others and to prevent them from ever taking this harmful and dangerous drug. I thank the pro for this debate and I look forward to seeing the results of the voting period.
Posted by gman1041 1 year ago
gman1041
it should be legal even if it hurts you or gives you cancer. it is your body and you do what you want with it. its better than alchahol and its not even close to be as addictive as alchehol and cigs are. weed is addictive like videogames or stuff like that. i have smoked weed since i was 12 bad i know but i stopped and had no problem with stopping.
Posted by DATXDUDE 1 year ago
DATXDUDE
There are 4 times as many carcinogens in weed than cigarettes.