ludwiglindau
debatability

Should cannabis be legalized?

debatability

ludwiglindau

Con

I do not think cannabis should be legalized in any way except for medical reasons.
Cannabis is first of all a drug, allow using cannabis would send out wrong signals which could make people think that it's not wrong testing other drugs to, like heroin and cocaine. Think of it, "the state has legalized" a "drug". Then would some people think that testing other drugs is ok to.

The drug do also contain the substance Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). This substance can give bioeffects like euphoria, changed space-time perception, disorientation. High consumtion of THC will lead to anxiety and affect your learning and memory negative.

Smoking pot may also lead to:
-Rapid heart rate
-Increased blood pressure
-Increased rate of breathing
-Red eyes
-Dry mouth
-Increased appetite
-Slowed reaction time
-Paranoia, which could lead to crminal behavior.
-Magical or random thinking
-Depression

The bioeffects above that cannabis may give show me that I dont want my children to take cannabis and then be exposed for any of these bioeffects and I dont want my friends to be exposed for these bioeffects either.

I do not want my children or friends to be forced to use cannabis and then that the one responsible for them being exposed for these bioeffects will get away with it. I dont think any individual deserves getting exposed for these bioeffects and do not then see why we should legalize the risk of people getting exposed.

Smoking pot is also a gateway drug, in other words. After smoking marijuana you're more likely to try another drug cause it's the next step. Smoking pot is also physcially addictive. For an example if we say that cannabis would be legal, it would probably be prohibited to drive or work after smoking pot. But the fact that cannabis is addictive may force you to take it anyway which can turn innocent people to criminals by just testing a drug that they thought wasn't dangerous at all.

We to also have to note that spice is a kind of cannabis but a more "hard" drug. Smoking spice can even lead to your death. A normal person may not know the difference between cannabis and spice and may be cheated to take spice when the individual thinks it's just cannabis.

I think that people willing legalize the risk of people getting killed is just totally irresponsible and so stupid.

Sources: http://www.webmd.com...

http://en.wikipedia.org...(drug)
debatability

Pro

Welcome to DDO, ludwiglindau!! As agreed in the comment section, the structure will be like this:
Round 1: Constructive Cases
Round 2: Rebuttals
Round 3: Rebuttals and Conclusion
Rounds 4 and 5 will be skipped, which my opponent will verify.

This is a case that I literally just debated with. Forgive me for using it again XD.

Introduction
The goal of the government should be to benefit the common good, while preserving the free will of its citizens. My goal will be to prove that marijuana prohibition works against the common good and takes away free will from citizens, thus, it should be legalized.

C1) Marijuana's impact on user and those around user:
A) User's Mental Health
Marijuana can help rather than harm mental health. Cannabidiol (a substance found in cannabis) is known to contain anti-psychotic properties (1). Many people use marijuana to help with anxiety, as it has a calming effect. Depression is also known to be decreased among those who use cannabis. Jeremy Spiegel M.D. (from Psychology Today) explains, “In a medical journal Addictive Behaviours, researchers compiled data from over four thousand questionnaires of depressed patients and marijuana users, and determined that those who smoked daily or even less often, also reported less depressed mood and more positive affect than non users (2).” There have been some studies that note a correlation between marijuana smokers and depression/anxiety. However, it is important to remember that correlation is not causation. If my con wishes to use this point, he must explain exactly how Marijuana results in depression/anxiety. Another common myth is that marijuana kills brain cells. WebMD explains, “Long-term and even daily marijuana use doesn't appear to cause permanent brain damage, adding to evidence that it can be a safe and effective treatment for a wide range of diseases, say researchers.” My source continues, “scores on thinking tests were similar to those who don't smoke marijuana, according to a new analysis of 15 previous studies (3).” Through this evidence, I have shown that marijuana does not impair mental health and actually has the chance of positively impacting it.
B) User's Health
It has been proven that smoking marijuana is not as harmful to the lungs as smoking cigarettes, in some cases, smoking marijuana has increased lung capacity (4). Although, I will concede that cannabis isn’t exactly “good” for one’s lungs, the effects are much less severe than one would expect. The way that marijuana legalization can positively impact physical health is rather simple. Cannabidiol (mentioned earlier) aids smokers who wish to stop smoking. An experiment was done, and smokers who were given inhalers with cannabidiol decreased smoking by 40% by the end of the experiment (5). If marijuana was legalized, those addicted to cigarettes would be given a less harmful alternative to cigarettes.
C) Effects on Bystanders
One thing observed after the legalization in denver was that, as Time explains, "researchers found that fatal car wrecks dropped by 9% in states that legalized medical use — which was largely attributable to a decline in drunk driving (6)." This is because, "Driving under the influence of marijuana seems to be less risky because people who are high tend to be aware that they are impaired and compensate, while alcohol tends to increase recklessness and create false confidence." The idea is that people will start using marijuana instead of alcohol due to the legalization. While driving when one is stoned is certainly not advisable, it is preferable to driving while drunk. This 9% isn’t just talking about any crash, but fatal crashes. What this means is that due to this 9% decrease, three thousand lives are saved every year.

C2) Unnecessary arrests:
As I have proved above, the effects of marijuana not harmful to the consumer and those around the consumer. Yet, arrest for the possession of the drug is extremely high. In 2007, over 750,000 people were arrested for the possession of marijuana. It is completely unnecessary to permanently impact someone's life by arresting them for the possession of a drug that has little harmful effects on the user. We can see from the chart below that arrests for marijuana have clearly gotten out of hand (7).

The Medical Marijuana Magazine explains, “In "lenient" California someone arrested in their home can lose their driver's license, which can obviously mean the loss of a job. In other places people can lose custody of their children. If a person is charged with cultivation of just one plant, the consequences can be even more dire. People can and do lose their homes, farms, etc. to "civil forfeiture (8).” So essentially, people’s lives can be ruined for the act of possession/growing of cannabis. The worst part is that California is one of the more lenient states. In places like Alabama or Texas, the consequences clearly are more serious.

C3) Money and the economy:
Firstly, we have to look at the current amount of money that is being lost by keeping cannabis illegal. NORML notes, “American taxpayers spend more than $1 billion a year incarcerating citizens for using pot (9).” Most of these crimes are for simple possession. So, not only is keeping weed illegal unfair to consumers, but it is unfair to the taxpayers. It is a waste of the government’s money as well as a waste of the people’s money. Secondly, look at the large amount of tax revenue that will come from the legalization of marijuana. Colorado, saw 10.8 million dollars in the first four months of legalization. It is estimated that 1 billion dollars will be raised altogether by the end of 2014. 40 million dollars of this will go towards bettering the schools in Colorado (10). So not only does legalization of cannabis earn money, but it saves money, resulting in funds that can be used for various positive causes. Moreover, the marijuana industry generates jobs and boosts the economy in other ways. The governor of Colorado explains, “Gov. Hickenlooper compared Colorado’s economy since legalization to that of other states by noting, “While the rest of the country’s economy is slowly picking back up, we’re thriving here in Colorado.

C4) Safer cannabis:
When obtaining marijuana from a drug dealer, one can never be sure of what they will get. There is always a possibility that marijuana can be laced with a substance such as PCP, cocaine, crack, or even embalming fluid. These things are obviously highly dangerous; with federal regulation, this problem will go away since marijuana will be sold through reliable sources. Some companies in Colorado have begun testing marijuana for contamination, but if the drug was legalized federally, it would have to be tested in order to be sold.

Let’s assume marijuana is a harmful substance for a minute. I have shown in numerous ways that keeping it illegal hurts works against the common good. It contributes to prison overcrowding and takes money away from taxpayers. It gives drug dealers money, but ultimately hurts the consumer (who will smoke the substance regardless of it’s legal status). What really makes the argument against legalization fall is the fact that marijuana isn’t a relatively safe drug drug. One cannot die from it, or overdose on it. When it is legalized, people have a less harmful alternative to cigarettes and alcohol. Prohibition of cannabis works against the common good and takes away the free will of citizens.

For these reasons, I am pro.

(1) http://tinyurl.com......
(2) http://tinyurl.com......
(3) http://tinyurl.com......
(4) National Institute on Drug Abuse and National Heart Lung Blood Institute
(5) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov......
(6) http://healthland.time.com......
(7) http://www.bjs.gov......
(8) http://www.drugsense.org......
(9) US Bureau of Justice Statistics
(10) http://www.thedailychronic.net......

I eagerly await my opponent's response. I shall refute his opening case next round.

ludwiglindau

Con

ludwiglindau forfeited this round.
debatability

Pro

I am so very sad to see my opponent forfeit. Since this debate is 5 rounds, but my opponent and I are only using 3... perhaps my opponent can use the next round for rebuttals.
ludwiglindau

Con

ludwiglindau forfeited this round.
debatability

Pro

Though my opponent has deactivated, I will give him one more round to present his rebuttal before I attack his case. I pray to Jesus in heaven for my adversary's return to DDO.
ludwiglindau

Con

ludwiglindau forfeited this round.
debatability

Pro

Please enjoy my argument in the form of a little song :)
ludwiglindau

Con

ludwiglindau forfeited this round.
debatability

Pro

I think my adversary for a thought provoking debate.
Posted by Adam_Godzilla 2 years ago
Adam_Godzilla
Your final video argument is 'unavailable in this platform'. Meaning I can't open it in YouTube. Other than that, what a great debate!
Posted by debatability 2 years ago
debatability
I'm so ashamed that this is the debate that raised my elo to 3000. Legalize it fools.
Posted by debatability 2 years ago
debatability
@dennybug
i'm not that upset. though i genuinely believed he wouldn't forfiet.
Posted by Dennybug 2 years ago
Dennybug
HA HA HA

Your debate record is now stained.
Posted by debatability 2 years ago
debatability
haha, i might as well do a spree of debates over the legalization of weed while its fresh in my mind.

you can vote if you want, i'm sure you wont let bias get in the way
Posted by rings48 2 years ago
rings48
Lol debatability XD

I probably won't vote, I just ran into this and started laughing.
Posted by ludwiglindau 2 years ago
ludwiglindau
no problem.
Posted by ludwiglindau 2 years ago
ludwiglindau
sure, I'll clarify in mine
Posted by debatability 2 years ago
debatability
anyways, sorry if i seem picky. that format is just easier for everyone.
Posted by debatability 2 years ago
debatability
you can just clarify. sadly, you cant change the setting once someone has accepted. i should have waited...

I'll clarify at the beginning of my argument and then you can confirm.
Vote Placed by RyuuKyuzo 2 years ago
RyuuKyuzo
ludwiglindaudebatabilityTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
ludwiglindaudebatabilityTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Pro. Forfeiting is rarely acceptable behavior in any debate setting. For this, I award Pro Conduct. Arguments - Pro. Con FF'd and failed to provide any rebuttals after round 1. For this, Pro's BOP stands unchallenged and therefore wins the debate. Sources - Pro. While Con did utillize sources, Pro's were much more respectable in terms of quality. Clear win for Pro, utter destruction for Con.
Vote Placed by Adam_Godzilla 2 years ago
Adam_Godzilla
ludwiglindaudebatabilityTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited for 4 rounds while Pro took the time to write a splendid argument. (even if it was recycled) pro made a good case on how criminalising cannabis hurts the economy and wastes tax money. Although many arguments made by pro could be refuted by Con, he or she has failed to do so. Conduct to Pro, spelling anad grammar to Pro obviosuly and sources to Pro as she was the only one who used sources. Pro should not be ashamed of wjnning this debate. Pro probably intimidated Con and made him unable to continue debating.
Vote Placed by Mikal 2 years ago
Mikal
ludwiglindaudebatabilityTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by JohnMaynardKeynes 2 years ago
JohnMaynardKeynes
ludwiglindaudebatabilityTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.