"Should cannabis/weed/marijuana be legal?" or "Should Alcohol be illegal?"

This is the first debate started by me. wish me luck.
First Round: State main arguments and rules.
Rounds after that: Debate!
Basically my Main Argument will be that marijuana, as a drug, is a) extremely non toxic while alcohol is classified as a carcinogen (cancer-causing substance), causes liver cirrhosis and has a wide range of other effects. b) marijuana has a much lower death rate per user than any other common drug except paracetamol (as shown on this website )
That will be all for now; feel free to challenge me and thank you for reading

This is my first debate also and I can see it will be difficult.

My main argument will be that Marijuana causes a lot of psychological and mental harm, whereas, aside from becoming addicted, alcohol does not. Alcohol is safe if drank in moderation, which is how it is supposed to be, but any amount of weed can damage you.

I look forward to continuing this debate.

Yes, although alcohol is quite harmless at small doses (2-3 std drinks), but because it is so socially acceptable people often binge drink i.e drinking a lot alcohol in a short time; also while most people use alcohol, they do not know the correct dose (for example one can of full strength beer does NOT contain one std drink, it actually contains about 1.75 drinks see this article here therefore alcohol overdoses are relatively common. Ethanol alcohol is not very toxic in its original form but cell membranes are highly permeable to alcohol, so once alcohol is in the bloodstream it can diffuse into nearly every biological tissue of the body.Alcohol is an addictive drug that can greatly exacerbate sleep problems. During abstinence, residual disruptions in sleep regularity and sleep patterns are the greatest predictors of relapse. here are some effects of alcohol.(from

Euphoria (BAC = 0.03% to 0.12%)
Overall improvement in mood and possible euphoria
Increased self-confidence
Increased sociability
Decreased Anxiety
Shortened attention span
Flushed appearance
Impaired judgment
Impaired fine muscle coordination

Lethargy (BAC = 0.09% to 0.25%)
Impaired memory and comprehension
Delayed reactions
Ataxia; balance difficulty; unbalanced walk
Blurred vision; other senses may be impaired

Confusion (BAC = 0.18% to 0.30%)
Profound confusion
Impaired senses
Increased ataxia; impaired speech; staggering
Dizziness often associated with nausea ("the spins")
Vomiting (emesis)

Stupor (BAC = 0.25% to 0.40%)
Severe ataxia
Lapses in and out of consciousness
Anterograde amnesia
Vomiting (death may occur due to inhalation of vomit (pulmonary aspiration) while unconscious)
Respiratory depression (potentially life-threatening)
Decreased heart rate (usually results in coldness and/or numbness of the limbs)
Urinary incontinence

Coma (BAC = 0.35% to 0.50%)
Unconsciousness (coma)
Depressed reflexes (i.e., pupils do not respond appropriately to changes in light)
Marked and life-threatening respiratory depression
Markedly decreased heart rate
Most deaths from alcohol poisoning are caused by dosage levels in this range.
and, more often then not, people do not wait for their BAC to drop below 0.08% before driving therefore causing a large amount of accidents, in fact 40% of traffic incidents in the USA are alcohol related, in Australia in 1993, of all drivers, motor cyclists, pedestrians and bicyclists who were killed or injured in a road crash, blood alcohol concentration (BAC) was known for 74% of fatalities and 50% of hospitalisations. Of these, 29% of fatalities and 22% of people hospitalised had a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.05 or more(
In fact death caused by alcohol exceeds by far the amount of most other drugs including COCAINE!!! (as seen in my last argument, there was also a link to The only drugs above it on the chart heroin & morphine were included together.

As for the non harmfulness of marijuana, you can see that it is right down the bottom on both charts, also here is another chart showing other drugs also with alcohol at the top
links from above
Acohol and its effects
Wikipedia article
Australian traffic incidents report
Guardian datablog article (chart 1&2)
link to chart 3

iblamethegovernment forfeited this round.

Does that mean you give up?

No, I do not.
I am new to this site and regrettably forgot to keep up to date with the debate, and as a result it seems I missed my opportunity to post an argument.

I am impressed at how much you have researched this. But what you have failed to talk about is how a lot of people, most likely the majority of people, drink alcohol with meals, and after a long day. Therefore, banning alcohol would bring about a huge uproar. The side-effects to alcohol you have posted are usually a result of drinking too much regularly.
Also, the reason the rate of harm caused by alcohol is so high is simply because the vast majority of the population drink alcohol.

The side-effects from smoking marijuana however, could be a lot worse than what you have stated.
Weed can causes extreme paranoia, anxiety, and panic attacks. (

These are some effects:
A "high" - a sense of relaxation, happiness, sleepiness, colours appear more intense, music sounds better.

Around 1 in 10 cannabis users have unpleasant experiences, including confusion, hallucinations, anxiety and paranoia. The same person may have either pleasant or unpleasant effects depending on their mood and circumstances. These feelings are usually only temporary " although as the drug can stay in the system for some weeks, the effect can be more long-lasting than users realise. Long-term use can have a depressant effect, reducing motivation.

Weed has been proven to reduce GCSE scores, and interfere with a persons ability to concentrate and take in new information. While under the influence of cannabis, you are twice as likely to cause a crash than to be a victim in one.
It can also trigger depression and schizophrenia, both are serious mental disorders.

A debatable question is; is cannabis addictive?

It has some of the features of addictive drugs such as:
tolerance " having to take more and more to get the same effect
withdrawal symptoms. These have been shown in heavy users and include:
decreased appetite
sleep difficulty
weight loss
aggression and/or anger
strange dreams. .
These symptoms of withdrawal produce about the same amount of discomfort as withdrawing from tobacco.

For regular, long-term users:
3 out of 4 experience cravings;
half become irritable;
7 out of 10 switch to tobacco in an attempt to stay off cannabis.

Cannabis is addictive and dangerous. It is popular among young teens. The side effects to alcohol are less dangerous than cannabis, and so it is legal and weed is not.

To clarify, "rate" means how many per (hundreds or thousands of) users. It stays the same because it is a percentage NOT a actual figure.
The was obviously in percentages (top right corner "*with a maimum harm rating of 100").

Geez, you obviously did not read my first link ( fully because alcohol is still above marijuana in death-per-user count. There is also a comment at the bottom "The cannabis death's figure is a bit dubious in my opinion. Firstly, how can you die from cannabis? It's extremely non-toxic. There has never been a single documented case of fatal cannabis overdose. Also, the government's own figures don't tally. While drug figures from the Office Of National Statistics register 19 cannabis related deaths, the mortality stats from the same office log only 1 death." which seems to suggest that the marijuana rates could be up to 19 times higher than actuall figures. Also I would like point out that the main problem with alcohol is its widespread use-more people die of alcohol than any other legal drug.
As for the unpleasnt effects you mentioned for cannabis, here is a link to an wiki article stating similar effects for alcohol (

All links here
Acohol and its effects
Wikipedia articles
Australian traffic incidents report
Guardian datablog article (chart 1&2)
link to chart 3

you made me cry you little sh-it.
Posted by alpha3031 3 years ago
im gonna spam here to get more comments
Posted by alpha3031 3 years ago
im gonna spam here to get more comments
Posted by alpha3031 3 years ago
im gonna spam here to get more comments
Posted by alpha3031 3 years ago
still no votes
Posted by alpha3031 3 years ago
Geez. Social bais everyone!
Posted by alpha3031 3 years ago
Just because I did a little research beforehand?
Posted by ockcatdaddy 3 years ago
i would accept but you have set yourself up for an easy win
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Perhaps out of pity, but I'll call that conclusion a concession.