DrumGuy18
dian_kencanasari

Should cell phones and music (headphones in ears) be banned from high schools?

DrumGuy18

Con

I do NOT believe that this should be banned. For one particular reason, it adheres my learning and safety if i do not have music, or a cellphone. You may proceed with your argument.
dian_kencanasari

Pro

Thank you for accepting my challange.

My arguments will lie on these 3 concerns:

1. Students need to learn in school. That is the place for learning. That is the place where teachers will communicate with students about most important things. And headphones in ears will block the communication mostly from teacher's teaching. Headphone in ears is meant to isolate a person not only from another persons but also from their surroundings. Most of people who's wearing headphones and playing loud music is less concern about their surroundings and makes it more dangerously if you do while driving. Apply the same from driving to the school, students need to focus on their surroundings in school especially in a class.

2. Less control by teachers.
Without the headphones, the teacher is having a challanging time controling the whole class. Sometimes teachers need to make the class more interactive. And headphones will obviously obstacle this purpose.

3. Headphones is another way to cheat in a test. The teachers will find difficult times to know whether you need more concentration in doing your test with listening to music, or listening to some cheat answers to the test.
DrumGuy18

Con

You're welcome for the acceptation.

I do have a rebuttal for all 3 of your concerns.

1. Students are at school to learn, I do strongly agree with you. It is a place to learn, and expand your understanding, but, cell phones and headphones are used as "worry stones" or "comfort blankets" for people with anxiety issues. It is very likely to walk in any high school in the US and find over half of the population with headphones or cell phones in their pocket, or in their ears. And if asked, students would more than likely tell you that they have anxiety problems, or that they have their cell phones present during classes for use of safety, as an emergency may occur at any given time, this is a given. I, myself, use my headphones often to get my work done faster or to distract myself at the appropriate times, such as at lunch or walking to the bus. All aside, I disagree that school is the same as driving, for the simple fact that it is easier to get distracted on a road, then in school.

2. Teachers do care for the students' growth academically and logically, but some teachers find that music is not important for the stimulation of students. As given in searched facts, music may increase learning and comprehension to a minimum of 25% on a young adults' life.

3. There is no way for anyone to wear headphones during a given test, such as the ACT, or any other state given test, as well as EOC's because it is against the law. Plain and simple fact.

Thank you for encouraging me to continue this debate. You may rebut any way you see fit.
dian_kencanasari

Pro

My rebuttals are like these below :

1. Your main concern about my first argument is that students need earphones to handle anxiety problem.

Yes, I admit there will be an exception for students with special needs. However in doing so we need the medical suggestion from a reputable doctor/pshrink to prove that. But for general term and condition, the school policy should remain. That is not to allow headphones used in class. Using it while you're having your lunch or walking to the bus is irrelevant to be brought up in this debate because it take place outside the classroom.

My point in driving analogy is to take the same opinion about headphones can distract students focus from their surroundings. Of course I'm being hyperbolic compare school and driving, but my point is students focus distraction.

2. Music to stimulate students. Yes I do aggree with this point. But in highschool, the class for music has been provided. At the given time and given classroom. Simply, at others different class students need to focus on a different lesson. Do not listen to music when you should be listening to math. Again, it will alter your focus and teachers will have difficulities in order to teach the classroom.

3. Since pro didn't define at which time the students are okay to wear it or not, I assume the pro implied the students can wear it anytime during school. That is also when the test is held. So, if the pro already agreed the students should not wear headphones during test, I rest my case. I also agree upon this.
DrumGuy18

Con

As well as agreeing with everything, I concede from this round due to time to post argument.
dian_kencanasari

Pro

Thank you for still posting. For the sake of completeness,I will just wrap up my arguments in round 4. You might still rebut or bring new arguments if you'd like to do so which I wil respond on the round 4.

Thanks again.
DrumGuy18

Con

1. Not all children with anxiety problems, are special needs, as you said they have an exception. Nor should anyone need a doctor/shrink to tell them they are allowed to have headphones on, when it is not a privilege, but a freedom. And my example of the lunch time and walking to the bus are just figures to show how they can be used anywhere, and that some schools, like my own, are so strict, that you may have in only one headphone.

2. Not all schools have music classes, as they cannot afford nor do they have the qualified teacher to teach the class. I agree students need to focus on the task at hand, but I am only saying that music can benefit everyone, at any given time, no matter the lesson, or class. But, if the teacher does not agree, they can also research it for themselves, or have students write argument papers on why they should be allowed.

3. I apologize for not defining the said time in which students can wear them, and when they cannot, and I end my argument on this note. Thank you for debating with me, I look forward to debating more with you in the future. VOTE PRO!
dian_kencanasari

Pro

1. Restriction not to wear headphones in highschool is nothing related to freedom limitation. It is about respecting each other (Both, to the other students and teachers),
it is about giving full attention in classroom, and this is also about doing your duty. Freedom can be expressed in so many other ways as long as it doesn't distract the main purpose of being in a school (to learn).

The freedom of wearing headphones distract the main purpose of highschool, that is to learn. And this kind of freedom is called anachy.

2. If the school doesn't have music classes while students feel music is needed to stimulate students mind, it is wrong to have a debate on headphones. We should make a debate on "music class" motion.

Thank you for a pleasant debate. I think I should win this debate. Please vote on con!!!
Posted by dian_kencanasari 2 years ago
dian_kencanasari
No way it is a tie!!! I wanna cry
Posted by Greg4586 2 years ago
Greg4586
As a high school student I can confirm, when I am on my phone in class I'm not learning anything.
Posted by mathew98 2 years ago
mathew98
If teachers and non-teaching staff are allowed to use phones then why not students??
Posted by mathew98 2 years ago
mathew98
Posted by TBSmothers 2 years ago
TBSmothers
I high school doesnt't care about technology use outside of the classroom. Once you're in class it depends on the teacher.