bss10506
ZaWolf

Should cell phones be allowed in schools?

Con Tied Pro

bss10506

Con

Cell phones should not be allowed at schools!

My Value: They are a big disturbance and can cause interruption during class time! You could miss a big lesson while secretly texting during class!

1.If someone loses a phone at school then it is a great issue for them and they might blame the school for it. If someone tells their friends that they have a touch phone and they have it in their backpack, what do you think their friend would do? Either steal it-or tell someone else who could steal it! That is connected to the school- The person's phone (either stolen or lost) could cause a great threat to the school. They would pressure the school into trying to find it which would interrupt the school from more important matters.
ZaWolf

Pro

I'd like to thank my opponent for the interesting debate topic, and wish him the best of luck.

Con has taken the argument that cell phones should not be allowed in schools. I would ask Con to clarify "at school". If Con believes that cell phones should be banned simply inside the school building, or in and around the school building (school grounds).

Now, a quote from Con, followed by my rebuttal---

"If someone loses a phone at school then it is a great issue for them and they might blame the school for it ... The person's phone (either stolen or lost) could cause a great threat to the school. They would pressure the school into trying to find it which would interrupt the school from more important matters." -Con

These statements apply to all property of a student, including but not limited to, notebooks, flash drives, laptops. Each of those three examples are a necessity to a student, and if lost or stolen inside the school provide the same threat / problem to the school. Unnecessary possessions of a student follow the same suit, such as necklaces, watches, and other jewelry-- should these also be banned for being a potential problem to the school??? Conclusively, someone losing possession of their phone in school provides no more of a disturbance to the school than if a girl lost her backpack, necklace, sweatshirt, etc.. And is thereby, not proper grounds to ban cell phones in schools.

Furthermore, I would like to say that there are many benefits to allowing cell phones in school:
1.) It allows a student to call their parent / ride in case they need to stay at school longer, they missed the bus, or they forgot something and etc..
2.) Schools often have one, maybe two, pay phones. At the end of the day, when everyone needs to make calls within the lobby for their ride, this gets to be quite a nuisance.
3.) Pay phones cost money-- and students and parents alike, would like to benefit from their cell phone plan and not have to also pay for the pay phones at the school, when they have already paid for a cell phone service to be able to call/text anywhere. There's one hundred and eighty days in a school year (school days that is) and a pay phone at Skowhegan Maine High School costs 75 cents a call. That's a 135$ saving to a student who needs to call home on an average of once a day (which is the case for many students who do sports all three seasons, and are involved in many other extra curricular activities).
bss10506

Con

Thanks for your return argument-

Just during class time- as long as their phone is off. They can ask to go outside to call a family member etc.

1. How many average students have to use the school's phone? About 5-10 a day! All schools have phones in their front office, about 2-5 phones. Some schools do not have pay phones - just go to the front office and ask to call a family member to pick them up or bring a lunch - There are not after-school activities everyday! Students will not miss classtime to make phone calls as teachers will not give them permission during class to make a phone call so they can have more opputunities to learn! They will only be allowed during lunch time, or just before school finishes for a day. If it is really important (like an emergency) then of course they will be allowed to make the call in the front office. The three examples that Pro said - Do you bring a laptop to school? Are notebooks and flashdrives as important as a cell phone? Are they as expensive as a cell phone?

The people who are reading this ask yourself- do you have to call home for something everyday? Some schools have phones in their front office which are free to use.
ZaWolf

Pro

Thanks Con for the clarification of what at school meant. I will now reform my argument around these new standards, respectfully, and present a new argument after my rebuttal.

Con writes, "How many average students have to use the school's phone? About 5-10 a day!"
-- I would ask the reader to ignore this statistic, as it is not backed by any sources.

Con writes "There are not after-school activities everyday!"
-- I will assume "everyday" in this case is meant to mean "every school day". Cross Country practice/meets are 5 days a week (fall sport), Indoor track practice/meets are 5 days a week (winter sport), Track practices/meets are 5 days a week (spring sport) and then you add in Math team, Speech&Debate, Drama, and School Newspaper and you could very well be spending time every school day after school (not to mention if you need to do homework on a school computer). These examples are just my personal experience in High School, other students may have had more or less extra curricular on their hands (or maybe didn't own a computer to do their homework).

Con's first argument, "If someone loses a phone at school then it is a great issue for them", is dismissed in his second round argument, "They will only be allowed [to use cell phones] during lunch time, or just before school finishes for a day."
--His first argument is cell phones inside the school threaten the school and his second argument states that it would be fine if they used them during lunch and before school finishes. Therefore the second argument refutes the first.

My final argument is going off something Con said.

Con said, "If it is really important (like an emergency) then of course they will be allowed to make the call in the front office."
-- The problem with this statement is, most emergencies happen outside of school. Like deaths and serious injuries, where a parent needs to contact their kid quickly. An examples of this, albeit an extreme example, but happens nonetheless: during a mass scaled tragedy such as 9/11. On this day, many parents had to contact their kids at school to tell and reaffirm their kids that their family is safe, or sadly if they had lost someone and need to be picked up to be with the family. In this case, the 2-5 phones the front office has (a statistic I'm taking from Con), is not enough and would be busy for hours. And although the school may be able to announce what happened, they can not tell each student specifically who is, and who is not safe. This is just one of many examples where a mass scaled emergency could leave a student in an unknowing, insecure state that if allowed a turned on cell phone, could console these kids and their worries a whole lot quicker. And these events happen all the time, hurricanes, earthquakes and terrorism in the US alone, are becoming more and more frequent as the years progress. In a society where being informed quickly, is a top priority, cell phones are must anywhere you go. Even school.

Thank you Con, and thank you Readers, for your time and your interest in this debate.
Posted by ZaWolf 4 years ago
ZaWolf
No, sorry it was not a coincidence. I remembered the day, plus watched the news honoring those who were lost. I wasn't completely ignorant of what day it was and still talked about it on it's anniversary. This was not like Beck and his restoring the honor rally, where he did not know it was MLK day (and yet just happened to schedule it where MLK had his "I have a dream" speech). "Oh is it? How appropriate!" says Beck. Of course it's appropriate, he obviously planned it. q:
Posted by dinokiller 4 years ago
dinokiller
Pro mentioned the 9/11 while this debate started on 9/11.
Coincidence?
Posted by lovelife 4 years ago
lovelife
Ahh see, it is their own choices that would hinder their learning. Thats the way it should be.

Unless a cell phone is distracting from the lesson, they should be allowed.
Much the same as anything. If a pen clicker is distracting to the lesson, the teacher takes the pen. It should be the same with cell phones. They should be allowed, but with curtosy.

If I was a teacher [lets say the district had no rules conflicting with what I present]

1) Cell phone/ipod policy- cell phones and iPods are allowed, but not to be used during tests, or when the teacher is talking to the class. [well iPods can be used during tests]
2) Curtosy- please refrain from making unnecessary noises, keep phones on silent/vibrate, do not talk to other students who are working, if both are finished please do not talk loudly. Keep it a learning environment for everyone.
3) Be polite- Do not insult other students. If you see one is weak in an area, positive critisism is allowed, but no personal attacks.
4) Late work- max of a 75% in the first week its late, max of a 50% after.
5)Food drink gum- allowed, unless it is a distraction.

Of course I'm not going to be everyone's fave, cause you know I don't think I'd let kids smoke pot in the classroom. Thats only because
1) Its illegal
2) It affects the non-smokers

(I do know of a teacher that allowed that)

I guess that should clarify, my position, seeing as how I'm a pretty laid back person. [I doubt I would talk for more than 5 min incrimates at a time, and I also doubt students will need to know something within 5 mins. Its not like 8-9 hours they would be in the dark]
Posted by Chrysippus 4 years ago
Chrysippus
RFD:
Arguments to Pro; all others tied. Con contradicted his own arguments, failed to full address Pro's arguments or rebuttals.
Posted by Pirate 4 years ago
Pirate
On the other hand, kids who give more importance to texting than lessons are unlikely to become intellectuals who would regret the lessons they lost. On the other hand they would regret not meeting their friends after school because he didn't know where they are or something.
Posted by lovelife 4 years ago
lovelife
Goes with pros last argument, lets forget large scale emergency.

In middle school I was being bullied all the time. The janitors daughter was everywhere. If I looked in a certain direction I was staring at her and she'd try to kick my *ss. If I went to my 4th hour class she would go up to daddy and say I was being mean to her.
I almost got suspended. After school one day I told my mom what happened because I defended myself against one of her attacks and she fell in the mud and told on me.

My mom went up to the school to see what was going on and I was going to my class. She fell and broke her knee [day before christmas break] I had to go back to class, and was called out of class 4 times in 2 hours for updates, and eventually a final time to be checked out to go to an out of state doctor that was dealing with it.

If I had simply been allowed to have a cell phone on school grounds I could have gotten the information directly from my stepdad, without the confusion of the office taking messeges and informing me that way. Plus its a lot easier than having kids go "wow, why are you being checked out? Why do you keep getting called out?"

Just a personal experience but the office hassle can be embarassing, time consuming, and just a waste of time. Of course I keep a phone with me everywhere cause I don't feel safe without contact with someone, but I could not use it in school.
Posted by lovelife 4 years ago
lovelife
What does cameras have to do with it?
Posted by wjmelements 4 years ago
wjmelements
Phones aren't allowed in schools because most have cameras. I asked an administrator one year.
Posted by m93samman 4 years ago
m93samman
Value? Fail...
Vote Placed by Zilla2112 4 years ago
Zilla2112
bss10506ZaWolfTied
Vote Placed by bss10506 4 years ago
bss10506
bss10506ZaWolfTied
Vote Placed by lessthanhonorable 4 years ago
lessthanhonorable
bss10506ZaWolfTied
Vote Placed by Chrysippus 4 years ago
Chrysippus
bss10506ZaWolfTied
Vote Placed by TheParadox 4 years ago
TheParadox
bss10506ZaWolfTied
Vote Placed by lovelife 4 years ago
lovelife
bss10506ZaWolfTied