Hamlind
banana1234

Should cell phones be permitted in school

Hamlind

Pro

I believe cell phones should be permitted in school because students could use them for educational purposes, to ward off boredom during free periods, and for safety.

With the variety of educational apps available, technology in the classroom is an effective teaching/learning tool. Most students carry their cell phones anyway. Why not utilize them within the classroom learning environment positively. Many school districts do not have the funds available to provided computers or tablets for each student. If students were permitted to have cell phone, particularly smart phone, then they could research right from their desk.

Many students find it helpful to listen to music while working. Having a cell phone would allow for this. Granted students would need headphones. Often students, have free time throughout the day. Having a cell phone would mean that they could use it for entertainment purposes, especially on those rainy, inside days.

Who hasn't heard the news? With the prevalence of school violence, students need to have options for seeking help. A cell phone could be critical in this matter. I know most schools provided a land line phone at the teacher's work station. However, many of the scenarios we have seen play out on the news did not happen within the classroom. All to often the students were not withing reach of these land line phones. Having a cell phone on their person would allow for immediately contacting the appropriate authorities.

While there is much debate on this topic, I believe cell phones would be beneficial to the learning environment and therefore should be permitted in schools.
banana1234

Con

No. Cell phones are a big distraction during school hours. Yes, they could be used in dangerous scenarios, but most students can leave them classroom if they feel threatened. It is very easy to come up with an excuse to leave.

For the music aspect, yes students benefit from it. I am in a debate about it right now even. But some schools don't allow any music at all during the school day. The teachers believe that the music distracts them. Some teachers also allow music to be played from their computer or classroom radio.

Students can learn much more from their textbook than they can from their phone or tablet. My school has laptops for each student to carry around and take home to use for homework. A lot of the teachers use the system 'Angel' for homework and notes. So, the only time we can get our laptop out at school is to get an assignment from there.

In conclusion, cell phones should not be permitted in schools. They are a big distraction to the students while they are supposed to be learning.
Hamlind

Pro

In response, I would like to counter that many schools do not have the funding to provide each student with their own laptop. Many labs are not sufficient in regards to the number of available computers. Allowing students to bring their own device would offer a solution to this funding problem. As far as textbooks go, many textbooks are out of date. Accessing current information online would enhance the classroom experience. Funding issues plague districts and not only affect the availability of technology but also adequate textbooks.

Regarding the concerns over safety, certainly if facing a situation in which you could leave the classroom with a simple excuse fine, but what about a situation in which the teacher is incapacitated or the student is not in the classroom but somewhere away from authorities.
banana1234

Con

Yes, textbooks are out of date, but as it happens, teachers know more and are more than willing to help the students.

I agree on the funding part. Yes, most schools are low on money and what money they have does not go towards technology a lot of the times. But if the student body really wants computers or iPods, they can have a fundraiser to earn money themselves. They can also talk to the student council team about talking to the school board. Most school boards are willing to listen to the students questions and suggestions. At my school, rules were recently changed to allow students to where sport shorts on Thursdays and Fridays. Originally we could only where them on Fridays.

Like my opponent stated, many computer labs are not suited to used with a lot of students. But, on the contrary, most schools are now upgrading their technology to support many more students. My school upgrades the high school laptops every three years. The old ones are sent down to the elementary school for them to use.

I am in another argument of music in schools right now. I think that music should be allowed but not off of cell phones or iPods owned by the students. The teacher should get to decide when students listen to music, and if other students don't have or forgot ear buds/headphones the teacher can play music off of his/her computer or radio in the classroom.

As for having the phones for entertainment purposes, I am assuming that you mean high-schoolers and middle-schoolers. If you do mean grade school kids, why do they have cell phones? Beside the point that most grade school teachers have toys, puzzles, or games for the children to play with while it is raining out.

Yes, society is dangerous especially around schools, but in most hostage situations phones are the first thing to be taken away. The captor walks in with a gun. First everybody is going to cower away from him/her. The hostages are then told to throw out their phones or be killed. Who in this situation is going to keep their phone and call the police. Phones have bright screens full or lowest brightness. The captor is going to see this and hurt this child or adult. So then, if the captor told them that no one would get hurt if all phones were thrown to the center of the room, this injury or death is pointless.
Hamlind

Pro

Hamlind forfeited this round.
banana1234

Con

I have no idea what to post because my opponent forfeited, but I will give it a try.

Like I said earlier, if in a hostage situation, captors are going to take away phones, ipods, etc. This proves my point.

Cell phones are a huge distraction in schools and everyday society. Every day you see people walking down the street looking down at their phone. They bump into people and run into poles. Now, what if we bring this into schools? Students are going to be using the phones incessantly and not paying attention in the halls. The other students are going to be trying to avoid them, and the phone users are going to run into them anyways. They are going to lose track of time and be late to class. Then the phone will be used during class and the students will be behind in the classes.

Say we have phones during lunch, students are already distracted by trying to finish their homework during lunch. Add phones to this equation, and you have a distaster.

I would elaborate, but I am running out of time and have to participate in school. :)
Hamlind

Pro

Hamlind forfeited this round.
banana1234

Con

FIRST THINGS FIRST. STOP FORFEITING THE ROUNDS PLEASE!!!! Though I do understand if you are gone from your laptop/phone/tablet but if you are not busy or away from your electronic, please please please stop forfeiting.

In this round I will once again talk about phones and the distractions they cause. Next round I believe that we should just post conclusions because it is the last round.

I am going to go back to what I said about everyday society using phones. It is a huge distraction. Car crashes have blown up in percentages and they are mostly because people are texting on their phone. Phones are also able to hold other diversions such as games, Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, music.. etc. If school boards decide to let phones into schools, how is the state testing score going to change? I personally believe that it will drop tremendously. Students will be playing on their phones during class and not paying attention. Their test scores will drop because they can't get the homework done, which will lead them into detentions/after-schools. Then the principal has to call home to the parents who will not be very happy with their children no matter what age they are. This will result in probably getting the phone taken away instigating more problems. When the child finally gets the phone back, they will take it back to school starting the cycle all over again.

Just as a reminder: the next round will be for conclusions. thank you!
Hamlind

Pro

Hamlind forfeited this round.
banana1234

Con

Since this is the last round, I won't tell you to stop forfeiting.
In conclusion, I believe that cell phones should not be allowed in schools for the reasons stated above. Students are already distracted easily by other things or people in the school building, phones will just add on to that list.
Thank you for participating!!
Posted by siren0500 2 years ago
siren0500
A dinosaur
Posted by siren0500 2 years ago
siren0500
I'm
Posted by siren0500 2 years ago
siren0500
Rawr
Posted by SladeWilson25 2 years ago
SladeWilson25
*Og
Posted by SladeWilson25 2 years ago
SladeWilson25
Of Seth ditto that
Posted by OGSeth 2 years ago
OGSeth
It's not like us students are going to go to the bathroom to play Clash of Clans.
Posted by SladeWilson25 2 years ago
SladeWilson25
Herro every one
Posted by yoyohaley 2 years ago
yoyohaley
I, myself, actually get more concentrated with music playing. Also, take this as a scenario: Say a school shooting happens, which is not uncommon in today's society. So, the shooter comes and keeps a classroom hostage, and the class phone is not available. Then, a student can pull out their cell phone in class and contact the local police station, keeping the person from injuring anyone.
Posted by TheDoctorWho 2 years ago
TheDoctorWho
Music is good while you work, I usually listen to music myself while
Doing my homework, but it can also be distracting if you concentrate on
Listening more than you do working. However, a responsible student
Should be able to focus on a task they are given.
Posted by cupcake2201 2 years ago
cupcake2201
Listening to music always helped me concentrate