IWillBeHeard
gdogthekoopa

Should cellular devices be allowed in schools?

IWillBeHeard

Pro

I believe that cell phones should be allowed in public and private schools. You may believe that cell phones will disrupt learning but that isn't the case.
Cell phones are a necessity in the world we live in.

The Pew Study shows that 48%parents use phones to monitor where their children are. If something were to happen and they ended up not at school, and not able to contact anyone, a parent might glance at where their children should be and question why their children weren't their. What if they got hurt? What if, because they didn't have their phones, they weren't able to be found?
Another reason for phones is that if they were in danger at school and teachers and staff were unable to contact anyone, the students would be able to contact people, be it family, friends, or the police.
Cell phones don't disrupt learning. Cell phones can always be silenced in class and/or be confiscated by the teacher. Some people say that students cheat using their phones, but the truth is, the teachers could have always taken phones before. Phones can always be confiscated before tests begin, and if a teacher is uncomfortable with students having their phones during a lesson, before class.
gdogthekoopa

Con

Hello I am going to accept your debate challenge I am also new too so it should be even.

I will start off by stating some of my contentions for why students shouldn't have cell phones in a learning environment.

1.) Phones are simply not required for school and even if a student needed to contract their parents or guardians they could use the school phones for my school they are located at the office.

2.) Students do text and even play games on their phones. I would know because I grow up where I saw students using their phones for this purpose. Students can very easily hide phones in their coats,jackets,etc.

3.) Student's productivity and learning is lowered when they are distracted by video games on their phones and texting as would be an obvious side effect of doing these activities.
IWillBeHeard

Pro

IWillBeHeard forfeited this round.
gdogthekoopa

Con

Where did you get your polls from? you have no source for it so how do I know if it's correct?

If student needed to use a phone in school they could use the school's phones. and this point extends only to school property anywhere outside the school they can use their phones.

True but some teachers can't detect phones as well as others so this allows for abuse.
IWillBeHeard

Pro

IWillBeHeard forfeited this round.
gdogthekoopa

Con

I extend my points
IWillBeHeard

Pro

IWillBeHeard forfeited this round.
gdogthekoopa

Con

extend my points
IWillBeHeard

Pro

IWillBeHeard forfeited this round.
gdogthekoopa

Con

gdogthekoopa forfeited this round.
Posted by gdogthekoopa 3 years ago
gdogthekoopa
@Hoyobro
But most children are less mature than adults and won't use them responsibly.
Posted by Hoyobro 3 years ago
Hoyobro
The usage of technology is the idea of simplifying every long tasks such as typing, reading books, etc. It's not the technology's fault, it's the beholder. By taking away the technology would be like taking away someone's kitchen knife. The knife can be used to cut and help with difficult tasks, but can also be used to murder. Are you now going to rid of all the kitchen knives because they can kill? No. It's called self-control and there honestly isn't a way to ensure 100% educational use. This is more of a trust idea, and that one should integrity.
Posted by MettaNguyen 3 years ago
MettaNguyen
For middle and high schoolers, it's just too big of a distraction, wastes valuable learning time and it opens up doors for cheating. It should be allowed on at lunch and before/after school. College students, however, are more serious and mature so I believe it is up them.