lord_megatron
Chris330

Should children be allowed to choose their religion without influence of parents?

Chris330 has forfeited round #3.

lord_megatron

Pro

Should implies that we don't plan to implement this practically.
I think yes, as I spent half my life on a religion blindfoldedly due to my parents. I think the child must be allowed to remain agnostic until at least 10. When you are 4 years old, and your parents tell you about religion as facts, it doesn't leave you with contradictions. You have limited cognitive capabilities when young, and your parents/ religion are/is taking advantage of that. Debate.org had opened my mind when I was a believer. Although Juggle may have abandoned it, thanks to them too. Never thank God, never.
Chris330

Con

I accept your challenge and I look forward to debating you.

It looks like you wrote an opening statement so I will get right into it too.

Your supposition I feel is flawed legally, morally and practically.

Legally flawed under the First Amendment - "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

The latter statement in there "prohibiting the free exercise thereof"
I can only speak in regards to Christianity and/or Judaism
Proverbs 22:6 - Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it. (one of many bible verses)
Now by enacting your proposed law would be a clear encroachment of Christianity/Judaism.

morally flawed - What you are saying is a child is capable of making a rational choice at the age of 10, and that the government knows how to parent better than the parents.

practically flawed - How would we enforce said law? What would the punishment be? Are we going to put parents in jail and have to put these children in the foster system?
lord_megatron

Pro

I already stated the implementation plan for this is currently flawed, we will be debating the moral aspect. Surely making this a law would be hazardous, more like some sort of campaign for it from the government.
What I wish to argue is that parents mustn't impose their religion on their child from such an early age, and that ideal parenting would include giving a basic knowledge of religion(s) until the child is capable of making his/her choice.
I wasted about 7 to 8 years on a religion without even thinking what I was doing. I was naive. But now, I understand the concept of religion and I have chosen to abandon it. If I can prevent other atheists from spending their initial time as an unknowing believer, I would do so.
Furthermore, once I announced my choice of religion, my parents still tried to impose their religion on me. At least we could stop that. I have free will, you know. My other friends are atheists now, but their parents are less accommodating and force them to abide by their birth religion. I understand parents want good for us, but they themselves are blind and naive in matters of religion.
Even if we try to convince them, they start saying "don't say things like that" or "its our belief, you must have faith" and do not use logical arguments. Too bad they are not users on debate.org.
Chris330

Con

I apologize for my misunderstanding of your original supposition. I will try to stay within the morality.

Lets examine what the definition of Religion.
(http://www.dictionary.com...)

Religion:
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, Often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Moral code can be found in every major religion as the basic core. So your argument then becomes "It is immoral to teach your child morals"

it sounds like your issue is more with your parents than religion.

What you are upset about is the age old clich" :
Parent: "You will do as I say while under my roof"
Child: "Why"
Parent: "Because, I said so"

Put into a more practical sense:
"We are going to (church, temple etc). You can't stay home by yourself, so you are coming with us."

You stated "I wasted about 7 to 8 years on a religion"
Not sure what years you feel like you wasted (4-12 or 10-17 according to your previous statements)

What do you feel like you could have been doing in that time that you consider it a waste? I don't believe in the theory of evolution, did my parents make sure I did my science homework? The answer is Yes!

This brings up my original moral argument of "is a child is capable of making a rational choice at the age of 10" If you give these choices to any child, what are they going to choose?

Go to church/temple etc or play video games
Do homework or watch TV
Do chores or go on social media

Is a child ever going to choose their beneficial best interest or are they going to make a choice based on their maturity whether it is because of the "more fun" choice or the more defiant choice.

You also stated 'they start saying "don't say things like that" or "its our belief, you must have faith" and do not use logical arguments.' and are using that as a general statement of most parents of faith because they lacked the knowledge to explain their faith to you.
lord_megatron

Pro

Yes about 4-12, I used to believe God was real and ramble to him like a madman.
Religion
It is OFTEN containing a moral code, and not always.
Furthermore, I learnt all my morals without linking them to religion. My parents wont say don't spread hate because christ says so, they say don't spread hate as it is bad and leads to violence.
Not to mention that ISIS follows Islamic moral code, so we know how greatly moral it is.
"What do you feel like you could have been doing in that time that you consider it a waste? I don't believe in the theory of evolution, did my parents make sure I did my science homework? The answer is Yes!"
And instead of reading books, or doing my homework, we were off to celebrate christmas. My parents said its the time of festivities and blah blah blah, homework later.
"Is a child ever going to choose their beneficial best interest or are they going to make a choice based on their maturity whether it is because of the "more fun" choice or the more defiant choice."
The Church isn't beneficial at all, and the choices are more like
islam or christianity
atheist or agnostic
hinduism or paganism
A ten year old child, given enough research material would be able to make a choice and abide by it.
Furthermore, my parents leave me in the car when they have to go to the temple/church. I can't stand the religious ceremonies. The argument is go in and be brainwashed or stay out and be a true atheist. Why go in the church if you are not a true believer at all?
"You also stated 'they start saying "don't say things like that" or "its our belief, you must have faith" and do not use logical arguments.' and are using that as a general statement of most parents of faith because they lacked the knowledge to explain their faith to you."
Exactly! Our parents are blind-believers, then how can we expect the child to have a diverse and unbiased perspective? Our parents are defending something they don't even know about.

Parents mustn't impose their religion on a non-believer, because it is curtailing our free will and it is the right of freedom to choose our own religion. When you are finally an atheist, why be forced to go to religious ceremonies? That is just ruining the time of the atheist. It is against the "pursuit of happiness". Also, parents mustn't convey religion as a fact but as an idea/concept, so that there is some room for the child to think about it and make their own choice. If in the same age that you tell the sky is blue you tell jesus is god, then how will the child ever question it? You will create another blind believer.
Posted by reacher29 10 months ago
reacher29
parents need to be able to teach their children the right way to be. you may not be religion but if you dont teach the child then you are still teaching them someones belief (just not your own religious one).