freckleface1399
VulcanZero

Should children be allowed to have phones younger than ten years old

Started: 1/29/2014 Category: Technology

freckleface1399

Con

This problem has been ragging on my brain for awhile. I see so many children with iphones and its taking away from the child experience. Children should not be trusted with phones younger than ten to twelve years old. This is spoiling them and I know from experience most spoiled children don't grow up to be productive adults. It's different if the child has health or mental issues but no normal children should get phones until their well into their pre-teen stage and can learn to value the technology.
VulcanZero

Pro

Relatively new here (actually completely new), so I suppose I should begin by determining if you have any particular structure in mind for the debate.

Also (although this can be taken care of during the back-and-forth of later rounds), I think you may want to expound on what it is about the phones, specifically, that you find issue with. In all likelihood I suspect we're actually (primarily) talking about what sort of social content children of X age ought to have potential for exposure to, at which point the topic is framed as it has been because the modern-day phone simply makes it easier for anyone to access it.

Anyhow, I'll presume that your next round will be devoted to a more delineated set of bullet points against youth ownership of phones and I'll either offer separate pro-points (if you wish rebuttals to remain for later round) or I will counter the points you've offered.
freckleface1399

Con

Thanks for the pointers. The thing that annoys me most about children having phones is that it takes away from their childhood. They aren't experiencing the normal things that kids their age should be experiencing. While other children are outside playing they are sitting inside playing on their phones. The fact they can access innapropiate material doesn't bother me because I know there is nothing anyone can do about that. It would be better for them to get a phone when they are out of the younger stage of their childhood.
VulcanZero

Pro

VulcanZero forfeited this round.
freckleface1399

Con

I think my point was made.
VulcanZero

Pro

VulcanZero forfeited this round.
freckleface1399

Con

Please say something. I joined this to debate
VulcanZero

Pro

VulcanZero forfeited this round.
freckleface1399

Con

freckleface1399 forfeited this round.
VulcanZero

Pro

VulcanZero forfeited this round.
Posted by lavenderlady 3 years ago
lavenderlady
I agree, kids should not have phones at 12 & under!
Posted by Tommy.leadbetter 3 years ago
Tommy.leadbetter
I see your point and I get what you mean, but I think your totally missing the point. Phone ownership is not spoiling kids today, technology is what you make it. To blame phone ownership is wrong, people use technology how they will. For example my phone, I use to research things and learn about the world. If there is something I don't understand or a facinAted by, I look it up. Some people use it to find and store music, for others it's nothing but a means of contacting people. Same with other solitary games such as games consoles, they are misused a lot of the time but that because of deeper reasons. These are things like a poor education that doesn't teach about healthy and happy lifestyles and the importance of work ect. Also the media image of it being cool to be lazy and uneducated, even dizzy. So phone usage is a Pandora's box so to speak, it can be helpful and very good in the right hands. Is that a view you could argue with?
Posted by black_squirrel 3 years ago
black_squirrel
Are the phones younger than ten years old?