elllee
darth_timon

Should children be streamed in Primary school?

elllee

Con

Is it appropriate for children as young as primary school age to be streamed into different groups of academic ability?
darth_timon

Pro

There are many schemes and plans out there intended to help children progress and learn and I would like to say that these schemes are honourable and worthwhile. That being said, it is more beneficial to a child's development if they are challenged to a certain degree. For example, a child who can read and perform arithmetic to a Year 5 level whilst in Year 3 is not going to benefit from being held back in a Year 3 class with their peers.

It would also be unfair on children who are not capable of more advanced reading and writing to be in classes with children who are. To base this on my own experience, had I been in Set 1 for maths (my school organised children into sets of 1-5 for Maths, English and Science), I would have struggled. It would have been to my detriment and confidence to try and fight my way through challenging and frankly, mind-boggling math work (to me at least).
elllee

Con

elllee forfeited this round.
darth_timon

Pro

Unfortunately, as my opponent has so far not added anything to this debate, I have nothing to add in this round.
elllee

Con

elllee forfeited this round.
darth_timon

Pro

darth_timon forfeited this round.
elllee

Con

elllee forfeited this round.
darth_timon

Pro

darth_timon forfeited this round.
elllee

Con

elllee forfeited this round.
darth_timon

Pro

darth_timon forfeited this round.