dahrb
mush16

Should children drink wine

dahrb

dahrb

Pro

I think that children should be allowed to drink small amounts of alcohol because it has been clinically proven that children who drink small diluted amounts when they are young like in Europe have less drinking problems and there isn't as much of the binge drinking culture because kids have been exposed to it they don't need to go out and get drunk.
mush16

Con

children should not drink wine because it gets them to think of it like anyother drink they are allowed to consume. They will not hold any respect for the power of alcohol because it will be the norm. socially drinking is a huge part of life and it would be unfair to of a sort take away the childs future experiamentation. It is good for children to explore things for themselves, and learn their own boundries and reactions to alcohol. really interesting topic for debate im looking forward to seeing the following arguments
dahrb

Pro

children should not drink wine because it gets them to think of it like anyother drink they are allowed to consume."

I wasn't suggesting instead of a coke they have a Shiraz I was more suggesting the French way of the parents drinking a chardonnay while the child joins in with a diluted substance of it on a weekly basis not daily.

"They will not hold any respect for the power of alcohol because it will be the norm."

That is not true because they have always had it and they will learn as they get older and have it less and less diluted that it is a substance to be drank in small quantities as that will be normal for them.

"socially drinking is a huge part of life and it would be unfair to of a sort take away the child's future experimentation. It is good for children to explore things for themselves, and learn their own boundaries and reactions to alcohol"

Okay socially drinking is a huge part and I am not saying to take it away but so that they can go to the pub after a match and enjoy it but realizing that if they drink to much they will come home throw up feel rubbish and realize there a father so it is to prevent that. They can learn there boundaries at home where they are safe and see how they react but not with there mates who will spike there drink give em drugs and chat up the girl across the bar.
mush16

Con

If a child is introduced to wine around parents they will asume that it is acceptable away from parents therefore could get intoxicated unknowingly and encourage friends who have not experienced wine to drink it.
wine is alcohol and alcohol is a drug. all drugs affect the nervous system in the body. Drugs are addictive and the child could rely on the wine to make them feel accepted or more mature. Then getting an emotional attatchment to the wine and is then at potential risk of becomming an alcoholic.
Alcohol is proven to give you high blood pressure even if drunk in moderation. http://alcoholism.about.com...
the future health problems that could be caused seem quite severe.

giving a child a drop of wine sparingly is not really going to teach them about safe sex, one night stands or hangovers. If the child is wrapped in cotton wool it will feel repressed and rebel against the expectations and become curious as to why the drink they get is diluted and rare. if they do rebel, they will pay the price and if it takes a bit of throwing up for a kid to realise you shouldnt drink vodka straight, a few odd childhood glasses of wine wouldnt make any difference.
Also, if a kid is going out to a social gathering, they don't want to be the "responsible" one they want to be like everyone else experiamenting and moaning about the hangovers. If children are told what to do, they dont want to do it.
i think people should ignore the issue perhaps the curiosity wouldnt be so great
or the need to rebel so compelling.
if alcohol isnt a big deal, they're not going to be interested in it.
dahrb

Pro

Ok wine is a drug and can be a danger to your nervous system and can be addictive but if you are drinking small amounts of wine with your parents on a weekly basis you will not grow an emotional attachment to it you will probably not even like it first as a kid. Because you are used to it small amounts you won't drink it so much that you get addicted to it as you won't feel the urge as otherwise you will discover it and because of lack of exposure to it your body will go into overdrive and you'll be thinking "DRINK, DRINK, DRINK" as in father ted. Yes it can lead to high blood pressure but children in France for example have a good life expectancy
France who encourage children drinking diluted alcohol
77 for man
84 women

England who don't encourage it
77 for man
82 women

So in France the expectancy for women is higher and the expectancy for men is the same even with the risk of higher blood pressure.

I wasn't saying a drop I was saying a diluted cup but wouldn't you wonder more why you can't have alcohol then why you can but diluted because I certainly wonder why I can't have alcohol. Yes it doesn't teach them about one night stands but at school they learn about those things and with a bit of a clearer head they should no to avoid it but of course there always exceptions.

I was not saying a few shots I was saying roughly weekly so from 8 - 16 x 52 = 516 so I am talking about 516 diluted glasses I think that could make a difference.

Yes of course if children are told not to do then they won't do I mean if I'm told not to touch something I always touch it but if it can be a matter of life or death then I thing that the only way is to scare them about it and if they rebelled they would die it would stop me.

Alcohol will still be a big deal for them as they will have acquired a taste for alcohol and will still want to drink it but just not in industrial quantities.
mush16

Con

i giveup.....
Posted by pbplk58 7 years ago
pbplk58
"If the child is wrapped in cotton wool it will feel repressed and rebel against the expectations and become curious as to why the drink they get is diluted and rare." - mush16

Wouldn't the child wonder why the can't drink it at ALL if they weren't allowed to drink alcohol more so than wonder why they can only drink diluted alcohol?
Posted by mush16 7 years ago
mush16
lmao im actually on pros side personally but i gotta be the opponent right =D
Posted by Sky_ace25 7 years ago
Sky_ace25
Awww...Mush I totally wish I could agree with Pro but you do make a good point =P.
Vote Placed by reject_666_6 7 years ago
reject_666_6
dahrbmush16Tied
Vote Placed by goldstandardanarchist 7 years ago
goldstandardanarchist
dahrbmush16Tied
Vote Placed by Frosty5794 7 years ago
Frosty5794
dahrbmush16Tied