Bobbycakes
bman7720

Should children (under 14) be able to work at some jobs?

Started: 4/3/2015 Category: Economics

Bobbycakes

Pro

I think that SOME jobs should be allowed for children under 14. I completely disagree with child labor and exploitation, but I do think that certain jobs can be carried out by children with the same efficiency as an adult. They should be paid the same and be treated as equals. I understand that younger children are not developmentally ready for work, but I believe some can handle it.
bman7720

Con

My opponent's argument seems to be based around the matter of efficiency. I would like to point out that child labor laws were not put in place on any matters of efficiency. During the Industrial Revolution, when factories first began to appear, children were chosen to work because they were more efficient than adults. The issue was, these factories were unsafe and children were too occupied to aquire an education. Child labor restrictions were put in place to protect the safety of children, and to ensure that the population would not face a decline in educational standards.

My opponent also stated that children should be paid the same wages as their adult counterparts and be treated in the same manner. That would imply that my opponent supports the idae of a child working fourty hours a week, paying income tax, and facing strict standards. With these work hours, a child would agian be unable to aquire a proper education.
Bobbycakes

Pro

Bobbycakes forfeited this round.
bman7720

Con

bman7720 forfeited this round.
Bobbycakes

Pro

Bobbycakes forfeited this round.
bman7720

Con

I apologize for my inactivity. I will not argue this round as to allow equal argument to each side.