carinlee
Mysterio

Should children under the age of 12 years old have a cell phone?

Started: 11/2/2011 Category: Technology

carinlee

Pro

My thought that my 12 year old son should not get a cell phone until he is 14 years old. He is begging me for one. I think that he should pay for his own phone if he wants one. Am I wrong?
Mysterio

Con

You debate that children under 12 shouldn't have one but you say your child is 12 and that means he is not under 12. Please explain the debate better.
carinlee

Pro

My mother in law wants to buy my son who will be 12 years old and my daughter who is 10 years old a cell phone. They have been talking about wanting one for about 3 years. My thought is that it is a big responsibility to own and take care of. I know my kids and they can't keep track of their shoes how are they going to keep track of a phone? I just seems like another thing to distract them.
Mysterio

Con

Mysterio forfeited this round.
carinlee

Pro

carinlee forfeited this round.
Mysterio

Con

Mysterio forfeited this round.
Posted by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
I dont see anything wrong with it, but whatever you do, do NOT get him an expensive phone... Get an old flip phone for him and give him unlimited texting just to keep him happy..... I saw my little brother and my mom go through this, he ended up losing 2 iphones, had a third stolen, and really he only likes texting people. Thats just my opinion though :)