croixwimer
Scorchtheblaze

Should college athletes be paid?

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Started: 4/23/2015 Category: Sports

croixwimer

Pro

For my persuasive speech I decided to do this topic please give your honest opinion or don't vote at all and comment neutral.
Scorchtheblaze

Con

I will accept this argument as con and will try and prove to you that college athletes should not be paid for playing a sport in college.

croixwimer

Pro

croixwimer forfeited this round.
Scorchtheblaze

Con

Pro decided to forfeit round two which is something I would like the voters to take into consideration when they're voting.

College athletes are just like any other athlete, they play a sport, they exercise, and they're known by almost everyone in the country. The one thing that actually separates these two groups is a paycheck worth millions and people will fight and say their son or daughter deserves a paycheck since they do the exact same thing as famous athletes around the country. I am here to show the voters that this is a false statement and that college athletes should not be paid like famous athletes do.

The life of a college athlete starts in the last couple years of elementary school or the first year of middle school when they decide they want to go out and join a sports team. You don't hear any complaining from the parents about a paycheck when they're in middle school. Fast forward to high school where that same kid is still playing the same sport that he started when he was in middle school and they're getting sports scholarships for the college that they want to go to. You still hear no arguing from the parents about a paycheck when they're receiving these scholarships. Now lets go to college where that high schooler is now a college athlete with his whole career set in front of him. There's just one problem, what is he receiving for playing a sport in college? He's receiving nothing and now his parents are mad that the school is not giving him anything in return for playing a sport.

College athletes go out and play their sport as hard as they can and then they come back and complain to the university because they aren't getting paid. According to Molly Block of The University Star, college athletes should not be paid because "It would be unfair to the other students if the university paid athletes to play college sports." This shows one reason universities don't want to pay college athletes since it would make the other students feel inferior to the college athletes.

Another thing that affects this debate is the amount of money the athlete rakes in due to the scholarships that he/she earns from high school sports teams. It would cost more money for the university to pay their college athletes thousands upon thousands of dollars to play a sport that they've been playing since high school.

Theres an old saying that goes something like this, "money is the root to all evil." If you were going to pay an eighteen or nineteen year old college athlete thousands of dollars, its going to go that athletes head and they're going to think that they can do anything and they would just be able to buy their way out of it. For example, Aaron Hernandez, former New England Patriot, was sentenced to life in prison without parole. This doesn't sound like it goes along with the topic until you learn that Aaron Hernandez began his crime spree when he was in college since he was being offered a large amount of money from the New England Patriots and thought he could get away with anything.

If you were going to pay college athletes, you would dig yourself a little hole for your university because after a while, that university would run out of money. If you were to pay college athletes, you'd be ruining their life by making them think they can do anything they want and get away with it.

https://star.txstate.edu...

http://www.delawareonline.com...

http://www.usnews.com...

I will now hand it over to pro for his third round argument.
croixwimer

Pro

croixwimer forfeited this round.
Scorchtheblaze

Con

Pro has forfeited, extend all arguments. VOTE CON
Posted by Scorchtheblaze 1 year ago
Scorchtheblaze
I don't think they should be paid but I'll post my reasoning in this debate.

I'm hoping this debate will be good because I've been searching for a debate like this :)
Posted by croixwimer 1 year ago
croixwimer
I'm with college athletes being paid .
Posted by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
Might fit in better on the forums, or opiniom section.
Posted by Nickshelly 1 year ago
Nickshelly
I think they should get paid
Posted by The-Voice-of-Truth 1 year ago
The-Voice-of-Truth
So you think that college athletes should get paid? Just trying to clarify.