Nick647
godsend221

Should college athletes get paid

Started: 4/23/2014 Category: Sports

Nick647

Pro

Student athletes bring in large sums of money to the colleges they attend. They should be able to receive a portion of the income.
godsend221

Con

Hello, may I say it is a pleasure to debate you on this topic! Now to the topic at hand. I do not believe atheletes should be paid by the college in the form of cash for sports. For one thing, it's unfair to the other students who participate in other programs that may not bring much money to the school but do provide an enjoyable display of talent. The purpose of college athletics was originally to develop young men into hardworking, team oriented, highly confident individuals and to instill values that will contribute to being highly sucessful individuals. Many of these athletes are on full scholarships that pay for more than tuition. While receiving an enormously valuable free education (Instead of paying $50K plus out of their pockets and playing on TV for millions of people and NFL scouts who want to pay them millions upon millions of dollars to play professionally) in exchange for their athetic skills. However, the NCAA hamstrings students by not letting the work to earn a living. Some of these kids don't come from families who can help them pay for food, clothing, basic necessities of life and the schools may not either thus some of these students are broke and can't do anything about it without losing their place on the team. So, if the NCAA would get rid of that rule students would be able to earn a living in their extra time in the off season or whenever they can. Plus, attorneys who want to start their own union and be a power broker have strategically pushed this issue in order to gain power and if we care about these kids, we need to see all sides of the argument and not just one fraction of a piece of it.
Nick647

Pro

Nick647 forfeited this round.
godsend221

Con

I reference my previous comments for this round. My opponent has not responded so I have nothing to debate in this round.
Nick647

Pro

Nick647 forfeited this round.
godsend221

Con

godsend221 forfeited this round.
Posted by McFaully 2 years ago
McFaully
Students bring in alot of money when they go to school to be progressive in life? Should they get paid for paying for school :/... College sports are a gift in the educational system. The point of a college is purely academic without it they would have no use. Personally I think College sports should be treated like an academic course. And they are similar enough to be. For one a student enrolls to compete for an education and eventually compete for a job. Same in sports it should be solely to attempt to achieve in that field. But these college sports only rake in revenue because of its entertainment value. I mean if watching people attend a lecture was entertaining it would be the same situation. Your basically watching someone write an exam every game they play. And guess what if they fail in college sports then they fail at finding the job in that field and end up hopefully grabbing a gym teacher job. So paying to watch in the first place is a liberty athletes allow, but the only reason they're being watched in the first place is because the school allowed them to be there.
Posted by dmussi12 2 years ago
dmussi12
If you feel so strongly about it, why don't you accept the debate?
Posted by edibleshrapnel 2 years ago
edibleshrapnel
Oh lord, professionalism in college? We're screwing our selves over faster then I thought!