gators43776
jo154676

Should college football players be payed?

jo154676
Started: 12/30/2016 Category: Sports

gators43776

Con

I don't think college football players should be payed because that would stop them playing for the game! I get paying players in the NFL I mean that's their job! So if you payed college football players there wouldn't be alot of NFL players!
jo154676

Pro

First of all college athletes are already paid through athletic scholarships and I am going to limit the debate to only include division 1 football players.

I believe that in addition to the scholarships the football players should be paid 10% of all sales made on jersey's or other paraphernalia that uses their likeness to make profit. It is not right how colleges can make hundreds of thousands of dollars on a player while that player has to scrape by for each meal. To clarify I am not endorsing a salary for these players and it would only be rewarding them for performance and would allow the players who work the hardest and perform the best to be rewarded for all of their hard work.
gators43776

Con

Yes they are payed through scholarships, but i should have said i meant for playing, my mistake sorry. I don't think they should be played for playing 1 game and get a million dollars! Yes the teams win and they can give the players the money, but they shouldn't be payed for what they've done. Like their mom and dad can pay them for a touchdown in a game where he played for 10 minutes, but College Football shouldn't just pay them all the money in the world.
jo154676

Pro

I think you misunderstand the paying players argument. Nobody says that college players should make millions of dollars per game, the amount of nfl players that make at least a million per game is limited to the top players at a few positions and the top tier quarterbacks, the problem is that these players have to go to college and aren't allowed to use their own likeness to make money. For example certain players have gotten in trouble recently for signing autographs and selling them, and they are suspended or are reprimanded by the league and their school. The schools make hundreds of thousands of dollars off of their likeness and I believe that in return they deserve more than a free college ride.
gators43776

Con

Yea I got carried away with this so I think I'm gonna forfeit i was gonna lose anyway good debate.
jo154676

Pro

Con has forfeited vote pro
Vote Placed by David_Debates 1 year ago
David_Debates
gators43776jo154676Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Clear FF in R3 by Con, giving arguments to Pro.