natch
Capitalistslave

Should college have a tuition fee?

natch has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

natch

Pro

Should people have to pay a tuition fee for college/higher level education?

I apologize if I am not able to respond right after you start debating and I will answer when I can.

Also if you do not want to debate but want to leave a message in chat thats fine too:)
Capitalistslave

Con

To be fair, since you didn't make any actual argument for your case in round 1, neither will I. Go ahead and start your argument for why colleges should have tuition fees in argument 2.
natch

Pro

College should have a tuition because the problem with making college free is the tuition pays for many items the facility needs such as the air conditions, lights, the teachers, and the other personal that works there. School is expensive due to the fact that building have to have working utilities so people do not get to hot or to cold. The personal has to be paid a salary so they personally can pay for their lives. Colleges should have tuition.
Capitalistslave

Con

Well, yes, colleges need funding, but that doesn't need to come in the form of tuition fees. We are arguing specifically about about tuition fees, and there are other ways to pay for professors' salary, lighting, maintenance etc. I would argue that public college should be paid for by tax money, just like k-12 schools are. Since most private schools are owned by churches, those churches could charge a tithe on the members of that church to pay for their schools.

Now, the first reason why it would be better for us to have tuition-free public colleges that are paid for by tax money and tuition free private colleges paid for by tithe money, is it would release a great burden upon majority of future college students. According to the Project on Student Debt, "Seven in 10 seniors (68%) who graduated from public and nonprofit colleges in 2015 had student loan debt, with an average of $30,100 per borrower. This represents a 4% increase from the average debt of 2014 graduates." [1]

In addition, if we had tuition-free colleges, the money that would have been spent on student loans can be spent by the college students, and go through the economy and boost the economy. While, you could argue that the taxes upon people would negate this, it's not true depending on how the taxes are done. For example, if the taxes could purely be on the super wealthy, who have more than $21 trillion sitting in offshore banking accounts[2] doing nothing for the economy whatsoever, which is more than enough to pay for tuition and books of all colleges which costs $62.6 billion a year[3]. If loopholes were closed that allow the rich to get away with doing this, then we could put that money to education, and the students can then spend their own money in the economy, instead of paying off debts, which would thus boost the economy.

[1] http://ticas.org...
[2] http://www.forbes.com...
[3] http://www.theatlantic.com...
Posted by natch 3 weeks ago
natch
So you're arguing FOR colleges having tuition, right? Posted by sboss18"

Yes I am saying that colleges should have tuition fees for entry.

I apologize this is my first debate I have started so I am unfamiliar on exactly how this works.
Posted by TheBenC 3 weeks ago
TheBenC
You either pay for tuition for yourself or pay for someone else to go to college later with your tax money. Either way, you will be paying.
Posted by sboss18 3 weeks ago
sboss18
So you're arguing FOR colleges having tuition, right?