sarster045
BrontosaurusHeadcleaver

Should college tuition be lowered?

sarster045

Pro

Many jobs now of days that pay well require a college degree. But, there are so many people that don't have good paying jobs because they couldn't afford to go to college to get a degree. Also, many people can't get financial aid to help them pay for college, forcing them to get student loans. Than making them in debt for a while.
BrontosaurusHeadcleaver

Con

Before I begin I would first like to define a "Job that pays well" as a job that provides a living wage of $11-15 dollars per hour, as it is defined by the Economic Policy Institute. (Source: http://www.epi.org...)

The United states government cannot force a private institution to lower their tuition even if it would be good for people who might not be able to afford a traditional college education. Most if not all colleges have created their tuition prices just to cover costs, and to force them to lower it would kill jobs, and drive the college into the ground. Secondly, to force a private enterprise to lower their prices to the government's demands, is a blatant and unjust violation of the American economic principle of free market, and even If the Government were to force colleges to lower tuition, we would be creating and enforcing one of the most flawed and repulsive communist concepts: a Planned economy. These schools use their tuition to cover the costs of employees and facilities, and even if it were legal to force them to lower wages, it would be ethically wrong to destroy the educational resources America has worked so hard to create.

It is a fact that, yes, it is very hard to afford to make it to Princeton, or Yale but there are other opportunities for students with monetary problems. Local colleges often give discounts to local students, and many actually do qualify for financial aid. There are also community colleges that offer college educations for cheaper than their more prestigious counterparts. and if you look at the facts, only 23% of the 12% who don't enroll in a college after HS, did so because they could not afford it, the remaining 77% of that 12% chose to do so for unrelated reasons, such as not having high enough grades in HS and their job not requiring a college education. (Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com...).

And on your argument about jobs, it is utterly invalid. There are many well paid jobs that don't require a college degree, for example, Transportation, Storage, and Distribution Manager jobs earn an average of 40$ an hr, and Commercial Pilots earn 36$ an hr. None of those jobs require a college degree, and provide a very comfortable wage of about $100,000 a year. (Source: http://www.businessinsider.com...)

Overall what must be done, is improve the economy so that the small percentage of people who cant afford to go to college, can lift themselves out of poverty, and follow the American dream of self betterment. Not force colleges into the ground by lowering tuition. Let the judges not that I have reinforced my arguments with credible evidence, and have refuted all of my opponents major points while strengthening my own.

-I wish my opponent the best of luck in our debate to come

-F
sarster045

Pro

sarster045 forfeited this round.
BrontosaurusHeadcleaver

Con

I cant really respond to a forfeit. I reiterate my previous arguments...
sarster045

Pro

sarster045 forfeited this round.
BrontosaurusHeadcleaver

Con

BrontosaurusHeadcleaver forfeited this round.
sarster045

Pro

sarster045 forfeited this round.
BrontosaurusHeadcleaver

Con

sarster045

Pro

sarster045 forfeited this round.
BrontosaurusHeadcleaver

Con

Posted by footballchris561 2 years ago
footballchris561
In America? or somewhere else?
Posted by YoshiBoy13 2 years ago
YoshiBoy13
Note: I would want to accept, but I already have two debates going on atm and not much free time either.
Free point for Con: If there were lower college tuition fees, pay for teachers would drop and they'd leave to find other more income-heavy employment.

Also because I only had one point for the whole five rounds.