Sillysurfer
senshred19

Should colleges be free

Sillysurfer has forfeited round #3.

Sillysurfer

Pro

Should colleges be free, I think they should because then it doesn't matter if you are rich or poor you can still have an education.
Or just be free just for the 4 years of college.
senshred19

Con

I am opposed to the position that college should be free. There are numerous solutions to those who cannot pay out of pocket for college.

I will wait for my opponent's arguments in the next round before I go any further with evidence to back up my position.
Sillysurfer

Pro

senshred19

Con

The idea of a free college education sounds great and would be great if it worked. The biggest problem to this theory is the term "free". It may be free to the students, but it is not free for everyone. Someone has to pay the colleges for their expenses. Teachers are not going to work for free and someone has to pay the building costs and maintenance. As we are seeing with "free health care", someone has to split the bill. Maybe some cities or even states can afford to take on this roll in the short run, but the long term costs are going to eventually make this nearly impossible. My first main question to my opponent is: where is this money going to come from?

My second argument is that there are programs already available to help with the costs of college. Yes, some of these are loans, which are costly and time many years to pay off, but there are millions of dollars of grant money and scholarships wated each year because people do not apply for them. I am hearing high school councilors say all of the time that there are hundreds of thousands of scholarship money available to any high school senior. The problem is that either they do not know about it or do not go through the process of trying to earn it. I know of one scholarship at our school last year that was worth $2,000 dollars. The person that earned it received it because he was the only one to apply. There are numerous academic scholarships, extracurricular scholarships, and work programs that help with the cost. I am a college graduate who was able to earn my degree with student loans and grants. Yes, I have to pay those loans back, but there are even programs to help with the repayment of loans. Most loan institutions offer a repayment plan based off of your income. This greatly reduces the monthly payment. Many loan companies have loan forgiveness after paying on the loan for a certain number of years. Some places of employment even pay a portion or all of a student loan. Our very own President came from a poor family in Hawaii. Yet he ended up with an Ivy League education, a United States Senator, and eventually President of the United States. Therefore, it CAN be done.
Posted by Sillysurfer 2 months ago
Sillysurfer
I meant to say could you tell me the further info.
Posted by Sillysurfer 2 months ago
Sillysurfer
I did not mean to put that again.
Posted by Sillysurfer 2 months ago
Sillysurfer
Yes, I know but some people can't pay off their loans.