Should colleges be free

Updated: 1 month ago Status: Post Voting Period

College is a place to learn, but not all people can go, and people can actually save money and buy thing for themselves or there family.
Also so people don't have to worry about loans.
I did some research and the government would pay for the teachers and supplies for the colleges.

Colleges should not be free because of the following reasons:
1) How will the colleges pay for the teachers and professors that teach the students the course and material without having the students pay for their education fee?
2)Do you really you think with the capitalist society America is rooted on that anything at the most part will be free? Sure there's public education. You still have to pay taxes for that. Virtually, colleges cannot be free. This leads to my third point.
3)There's this thing called community college. It's cheap and inexpensive. Most people that go there either need to save money or just extend their studies before they transfer to a better college.
4)Scholarships help a lot with loans. Most students can get a scholarship. Not the big flashy "Bill Gate Scholarship", but a small one that pays for a part of your tuition.

All in all, the way colleges run is that they provide education in return for money. Also, public colleges are funded by the state. Private colleges aren't. This is why they are usually more expensive and in return you get better education. And that's pretty much it for my side of the debate.

On average, a college graduate with a bachelor"s degree earned $30,000 more per year than a high school graduate, or about $500,000 more over a lifetime, as of Apr. 2013. [8] Earning an associate's degree (a 2-year degree) was worth about $170,000 more than a high school diploma over a lifetime in 2011. [9] The median income for families headed by a bachelor's degree holder was $100,096 in 2011"more than double than that for a family headed by a high school graduate. [10] The median increase in earnings for completing the freshman year of college was 11% and the senior year was 16% in 2007. [11] 85% of Forbes' 2012 America's 400 Richest People list were college grads.

Wow, great argument! So what does that have to do with the topic at hand? Please do address my argument and counteract it with contrary info to the moot claim. Also, don't just throw evidence out of nowhere. Back it up with what it has to do to relate with why colleges should be free.

Thanks Pro. I await to hear from you.
Posted by DareToQuestion 1 month ago
Oh shoot. IT's only two rounds lol. Didn't notice that when I was writing my rebuttal lol. His second claim has nothing to do with the debate.
Vote Placed by chrislee125 1 month ago
Reasons for voting decision: I honestly agree with the idea of having a free college education. but for this debate, it is to my vote that DareToQuestion won. Con was pretty rude throughout the debate, so he doesn't get a point for conduct. I didn't see any problems with grammar, but both cases could use a great deal of editing. Although both arguments were extremely ill-structured, I have to agree that Con had a more convincing argument. Con's rhetoric seemed more extensive than Pro's. Seeing that Pro was the only one that used a source, I have to give him the point for that.
Vote Placed by geothermal 1 month ago
Reasons for voting decision: college should be free