wolfdragon
CJKAllstar

Should colleges require 2-4 years of foreign language?

CJKAllstar

wolfdragon

Con

I believe foreign languages should not be required to get into college
CJKAllstar

Pro

I accept. To make things fair you can start with your argument.
wolfdragon

Con

I believe that 2-4 years of foreign language is useless if it was a basic understanding of the course like say Spanish 1 I think that is acceptable but 4 years to get into and out of college is no good because nobody will ever remember how to speak the language unless they are a die hard Spanish speaker. and Thank you for accepting. GLHF
CJKAllstar

Pro

I will start my rebuttal next round.

1. Foreign Languages are More Appealing and Useful in an ever Interconnecting Society

I apologise for the size, but I hope you can view this chart clearly, which demonstrates my point. There is an unequivocal interest in foreign languages worldwide. In the survey above, shown by the graph, 90% of people surveyed showed an interest in modern languages.
s://www.americancouncils.org...; alt="" />
I do not need any more graphs to make my point clear, there is an interest in those who know a foreign language, and for a myriad reasons. Foreign languages first are very important in terms of work. Simply put, globalization is creating international commerce and opportunities. Infrastructure is improving between countries, and this generation has seen the power than borders had decreased. As worldwide markets open, worldwide opportunities open. And a foreign language in this respect serves illimitable purpose. First of all it allows you to work worldwide easily. Knowing a language gives you more chances to work worldwide, as you are able to communicate with locals in various countries. Even in the US, knowing a foreign language will allow you to work with trans-national corporations and international businesses or in the field of trade, as on the chance you might need to move, you are there. And you can speak comfortably and make trade deals with people. Jobs in translation or communications are opened up to you, simply by knowing another language.

Also, it improves your communication skills, improves your mental health/intelligence and allows you to learn about the culture of other countries. I have established its use, but here is why colleges should require 2-4 years of foreign language study

2. Foreign Languages are Now a Necessity.
I talked about an ever developing society beforehand. Cross-border trade takes up 20% of the world's GDP, and concurrently America is in a job and poverty crisis, with approximately 14 million people below the poverty line. Whilst international trade is certainly on the rise,

unemployment and poverty in America aren't.

With this in mind, modern languages can help this. By making every college child in America go through studies in a second languages, the world will be a smaller place for them. They can work worldwide, move worldwide, help increase trade between countries and get jobs as well in the country with their newfound skills I explained above which come with learning a second language. The tip twenty or so universities in England, including Oxford and Cambridge have published a variety of lists all featuring what they call "facilitating subjects". These are:
        • Mathematics and Further Mathematics
        • English Literature
        • Physics
        • Biology
        • Chemistry
        • Geography
        • History
        • Languages (Classical and Modern)

Languages are facilitating. Learning them improves learning in general, as languages help with memory, understanding, knowledge creativity and serve utility. Having this system promotes this, opens up jobs, money and markets, decreasing the problems America has, in return for what, a few hours of your time? I fully urge the floor to vote Pro and vote a fairer, better and more utilitarian system. Thank you.
wolfdragon

Con

Thank you for those beautiful graphs and charts they were impressive I see you take your time with this subject and Im glad you take it seriously but A majority of the votes were for people who wanted to learn and were"interested" Interested is the Key word here now it says they want to but they haven't tried it it is a very difficult subject and if your source was right 40% of Americans were very interested in learning which means 45% kinda wanted to learn it and 15% didn't want to learn it and people aren't wanting to stick. Example new years most people say they will go to the gym but a week later they don't even remember getting a membership to that gym.Also these people were probably out of high school wanting to get into college so they would have to learn it on their own time at their own place the only problem is that they are in their home where their is many distractions and hopefully they have a job so that takes 8-10 hours of their day.
CJKAllstar

Pro

"Thank you for those beautiful graphs and charts they were impressive I see you take your time with this subject and Im glad you take it seriously but A majority of the votes were for people who wanted to learn and were"interested" Interested is the Key word here now it says they want to but they haven't tried it it is a very difficult subject and if your source was right 40% of Americans were very interested in learning which means 45% kinda wanted to learn it and 15% didn't want to learn it and people aren't wanting to stick. Example new years most people say they will go to the gym but a week later they don't even remember getting a membership to that gym.Also these people were probably out of high school wanting to get into college so they would have to learn it on their own time at their own place the only problem is that they are in their home where their is many distractions and hopefully they have a job so that takes 8-10 hours of their day."

That is the whole point, a majority of the people who were surveyed wanted to learn, that's how surveys work. You interview a select group of people, and if the majority want a particular thing, then that is the most wanted. That graph proved that 74% of people showed an interest within a langauge. It is the majority, the rest of your points are irrelevant and guesswork, which I am not going to heed because there is no proof. You have not refuted my point whatsoever which is that there is growing desire, need and utility for languages. So my point stands, and I urge voters to side with Pro. Thank you for this debate.
Vote Placed by Dan4reason 2 years ago
Dan4reason
wolfdragonCJKAllstarTied
Reasons for voting decision: The argument that the world is becoming increasingly global and that foreign languages are more and more necessary was not refuted. Also the argument that it allows you to move more freely was also not refuted. So I think Pro won this debate.