Should computers be used in schools?

I say schools should have computers because computers take more time than books. You can use a lightweight computer or just use a stationary computer, either would work fine. As long as you can search things very quickly and easily you can do many things with your leftover time.

I'm a fan of computers; my computer is a vital part of my work. I believe computer literacy is as important for our children to acquire as any other "basic skill". But I'm not a fan of the wholesale introduction of computers into our schools, particularly the junior ones. How many computers a school has is not the issue - the issue is, how do they use them?

In many cases, the answer is: poorly.
The report says:
Students who use computers very frequently at school get worse results
Students who use computers moderately at school, such as once or twice a week, have "somewhat better learning outcomes" than students who use computers rarely
The results show "no appreciable improvements" in reading, mathematics or science in the countries that had invested heavily in information technology
High achieving school systems such as South Korea and Shanghai in China have lower levels of computer use in school
Singapore, with only a moderate use of technology in school, is top for digital skills
When countries invest heavily in information and communication technology (ICT) in schools, "PISA results show no appreciable improvements in student achievement in reading, mathematics or science," according to the report. Some of the world"s top performers in math and digital reading, like Korea and Shanghai, have low rates of computer usage in school. Countries where students most often used technology for schoolwork saw an overall decline in reading scores from 2000 to 2012.
Contrary to popular wisdom, the heaviest media users reported spending a similar amount of time exercising as the light media users. Nonetheless, other studies have established a link between screen time and obesity.

While most of the young people in the study got good grades, 47 percent of the heaviest media users " those who consumed at least 16 hours a day " had mostly C"s or lower, compared with 23 percent of those who typically consumed media three hours a day or less. The heaviest media users were also more likely than the lightest users to report that they were bored or sad, or that they got into trouble, did not get along well with their parents and were not happy at school.

The study could not say whether the media use causes problems, or, rather, whether troubled youths turn to heavy media use.

Currently, I am in high school, I'm fine with the fact that we use computers everyday. However, I see kids that use them to not focus on their schoolwork and mainly use them for social media/video games.

Kids like in 1st grade and up can use computers. They have to learn for future things. Everything is digital now. If they do not learn how to use a computer they will have trouble as adults.

The Instigator has not responded to any of my arguments. I will answer his/hers. Just because you don't have a computer, you can still use tablets and smartphones and stuff like that. The question that is being debated is whether computers should be used in school. Clearly, there are other alternatives besides computers, which I don't object to because I am not debating about smartphones and tablets but only computers in particular. Now to answer the world is becoming more and more in technology argument
Good news for the Class of 2018: There"s way more to the job market than just tech.

In fact, the hot jobs of 2018 through 2025 will include other fields such as health care; research and development, and sales and marketing " something to keep in mind as you begin your college years.

New opportunities for nontechies are being created by rapidly changing technology, according to a new report by Challenger Gray & Christmas.

"The way we use technology, where we use it, and what we do with technology is creating all types of opportunities, and you don"t have to be a computer science major to take advantage of them," Challenger, Gray CEO John Challenger told the Daily News.

sirimarupudi2424 forfeited this round.

I stand by my argument as the instigator has already conceded to my arguments.
Posted by whiteflame 4 months ago
>Reported vote: parkerwill// Mod action: Removed<

4 points to Con (Conduct, S&G, Sources), 3 points to Pro (Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit- conduct goes to Con. Spelling and grammar go to Con due to less spelling and grammar mistakes. I felt Pro made interesting points and I, therefore, think his arguments were more convincing. Con had more reliable sources.

[*Reason for removal*] (1) S&G is insufficiently explained. The voter is required to do more than simply state that one side had fewer errors " if the mistakes don't make the reading much more difficult, then the voter cannot award this point. (2) Arguments and sources are not explained. The voter merely repeats the point allocations without explaining why one side's arguments were more convincing or the other side's sources were more reliable.
Posted by whiteflame 4 months ago
>Reported vote: lord_megatron// Mod action: NOT Removed<

3 points to Con (Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited. Pro argues that computer save time and that computer skills are required in the future, Con argues that schools who frequently use computers have worse results than those who do not. Con argues that computers can be used outside school and many major jobs don't require you to be an expert on the computer. Pro doesn't rebut.

[*Reason for non-removal*] The vote is sufficient in its analysis of the given arguments. Just a note: rather than listing the given arguments, it would be better if the voter explained why certain points mattered in the end and why other points did not.
Vote Placed by lord_megatron 4 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited. Pro argues that computer save time and that computer skills are required in the future, Con argues that schools who frequently use computers have worse results than those who do not. Con argues that computers can be used outside school and many major jobs don't require you to be an expert on the computer. Pro doesn't rebut.