KJVPrewrather
philochristos

Should consensual sterilization be free?

KJVPrewrather

Pro

I say yes. I'm a woman, and I was sterilized. I had my proceedure for free, and this will save me hundreds of dollars worth of birth control over my lifetime, and I don't want children. It is a one time proceedure, and only requires birth control for 12 weeks, or 1 week if a man has a vasectomy.
philochristos

Con

I say no because a sterilization procedure can't really be free. Somebody has to foot the bill. Either somebody (e.g. a tax payer) or the doctor (in the case of pro-bono work) has to pay for it. But nobody owes anybody else a sterilization procedure. Moreover, the procedure is elective, not medically necessary. Also, one could save just as much money by choosing celibacy. A free car would save me money, too, but that doesn't mean anybody owes me one.
KJVPrewrather

Pro

This would save hundreds of dollars on birth control, for women to have their tubes removed like I did. I don't want children.
philochristos

Con

My opponent has merely repeated an argument that I've already responded to. Also, my opponent hasn't responded to any of my arguments.
KJVPrewrather

Pro

Sorry. Please restate your position.
philochristos

Con

I don't know why my opponent is asking me to restate my position when she could easily just scroll up and see what I said. Since my opponent has added no more arguments nor responded to any arguments I've made so far, there's nothing for me to add to this round.
KJVPrewrather

Pro

I don't need contraception because I had my tubes removed. This proceedure will save Medicaid money over my lifetime, and reduce my risk of ovarian cancer by 60% according to my surgeon.
philochristos

Con

As I said before when my opponent raised this same argument, it doesn't follow that if getting something for free will help you in some way that anybody else therefore owes it to you. Since nobody owes you a sterilization procedure, there's no sense in which it ought to be free for you. It certainly wouldn't be free in the broad sense because somebody would have to pay for it one way or another.