jadelbrito
joshuaXlawyer

Should contraceptives be provided in high schools?

jadelbrito

Pro

Contraception is something that most teenagers in the United States don't have a clue on, hence why the pregnancy rate has increased. Many believe that providing condoms in high schools is the "green light" for students to begin having sex. However, that is not the case. Many aren't as informed as they should be which is why many teens are having sex without proper educational background. Providing the student body with contraceptives will teach them the proper way to protect themselves from any type of STD's or pregnancy. Although there are some parents who believe that this is just the schools way of saying 'go out and have sex', the schools job is to educate the students attending the school. Having the ability to be open about protection will only make teens more aware of the proper thing to do. The school is not doing anything wrong except educate, which is their sole purpose.
joshuaXlawyer

Con

Ok to my opponent organize your points make them easier to follow but for now I will do that for you.

Her Case:

1. Teenagers don't know about contraceptive , and thats why teen pregnancy has risen.
That is why they must be taught.

Me: The argument I purpose is that most kinds are taught contraceptive however are not giving contraceptive which is the resolution of the topic you have provide which is they should be provide contraceptive.

2. You said providing them contraceptive will teach them to protect themselves. (this is like the whole middle part).

Me: Now giving them contraceptive will not teach them to protect themselves, teaching them about contraceptive will.

3. You say the schools are not doing anything wrong by teaching the kids.

Me: Teaching and providing contraceptive are two different things, teaching them to use and purchase or get contraceptive is education handing them condoms and pills is not. Providing the kids condoms seems to cross the lines as parents will object, and be against their type of religions or just breaches their parental control.

My case :

1. Providing contraception and educating contraception is two different things as giving out condoms and pills seems to cross the educational lines. Honestly it seems to break the parents teachings and principles that they want to teach their kid. Now a kid going to buy his own and the school giving him some are two different stories and schools handing them out has a stigma about it.

P.S use links to prove your case I could advocate the fact your statistic about rising teen pregnancy has no proof.
jadelbrito

Pro

Health classes around the country are there to teach the students about safe sex, pregnancy, and sexually transmitted diseases. I do agree with you that giving them contraceptive won't teach them about safe sex, however the health department at school districts provide students with them as part of the health course. Teachers are constantly making students aware of what can happen as a result of unprotected sex. Diagrams,films, and demonstrations are three of the most effective ways to help get the point across. With the addition of handing out condoms and birth control the schools point about safe sex will have more of an impact on the students than sitting in a classroom or just handing out contraceptives left and right. I can have some compassion with the parents because they can feel as though the schools are pushing the students to have sex. However, that is not the case. Some parents themselves don't educate their own children which is why the school is doing something effective for the student body. It is better that all teens are aware of the consequences, especially if they are not getting the proper information or no information at all from parents, peers, and friends.
joshuaXlawyer

Con

My opponent never touch my argument that you can teach contraceptive without handing them out, As well as she never directly defended her case and never directly attacked mine she wrote and un organized paragraph.
No sources. I urge a vote on my side.
jadelbrito

Pro

I apologize for the lack of organization on my behalf. However, I feel as though you are completely missing the point. You were clear on the subject of only teaching students about contraceptive; it still doesn't seem relevant to the main argument. I was specific on stating that it is important that students learn about AND have contraceptives available because it will make a bigger impact on them. Students do not retain information that is just thrown at them, especially in a health class. From personal experience I have seen my peers learn about things such as alcohol and drugs, yet they find themselves involved in that sort of behavior. If someone is told not to do something it is human nature that they will go ahead and do it regardless. This goes back to safe sex, teachers can tell students the consequences about having sex yet they will go ahead and still do it. If condoms and birth control is available to them at school, at least they will be safe. There is also the fact that many students are embarrassed or ashamed to go ahead and buy condoms in the local drug store. If they are available somewhere that they feel is confidential, they'll be more open to getting them and not feel guilty or judged about it.
joshuaXlawyer

Con

Again you don't organize your points even after apologizing that you didn't that is very annoying.

Your case is Handing out condoms and pills is acceptable, I argued that giving them out is not you never touched that argument at all. The closest you come to even grazing the subject is it will make a bigger impact and the are too shy to buy there own.

1.For one there is no proof giving out condoms have a bigger impact on the lesson of contraception, If the videos with people dying of Aids and deiase isnt enough then how is handing the condoms and pills going to?
Its not a further more no proof of such.

2.As well if your too shy to get condoms from a store then your too shy to be having sex in the first place.
Over coming the embarassment can be taught in sex ed as well so they won't feel weird buying them handing out condoms over steps the bounds of the school , teaching them is one thing handing them out is another.
jadelbrito

Pro

jadelbrito forfeited this round.
joshuaXlawyer

Con

Extend urge all votes to my side
jadelbrito

Pro

jadelbrito forfeited this round.