I_am_Einstein
CiRrO

Should corporal punishment be practiced by school?

Con Tied Pro

I_am_Einstein

Con

Corporal punishmen is cruel. I read in a history book that they would make them lift up their pants then whip th child's legs.
CiRrO

Pro

I affirm: Corporal punishment should be practiced by schools.

[Definitions]

Corporal Punishment: The act of punishing by some use of physical force. E.g. Spanking, or beating/flogging.

[Contentions]

Contention I: Physical force is sometimes the only way to enforce discipline.

Giving detention, or having a talk doesn't deter real troublesome kids. Physical force may be the teacher's only option to enforce discipline and stop bad behavior. Essentially, a school should be able to if they explain before hand that practice is used. Therefore, a kid and his/her parent is well aware of what might happen if the kid misbehaves to an extreme level. No rights have been violated if the kid and his parent willingly put their child in that environment. Furthermore, physical force may act as a deterrent policy for all kids who may misbehave in class. Order has been established.

Thank you ladies and gentlemen.
I_am_Einstein

Con

This is what happens when I get a detention. I go to a room with four chalkboards in it. I fill it up with, for example, "I will not throw firecrackers" Then the vice pricipal comes in and calls my parents. Then I get sent home early and at home, I get a beating. I think it's enough that the parents discipline their children. Even if the child isn't given a whipping, their parent's scolding and threatening words are enough. Like that quote, "The pen is mightier than the sword."
CiRrO

Pro

"This is what happens when I get a detention. I go to a room with four chalkboards in it. I fill it up with, for example, "I will not throw firecrackers" Then the vice principal comes in and calls my parents. Then I get sent home early and at home, I get a beating. I think it's enough that the parents discipline their children. Even if the child isn't given a whipping, their parent's scolding and threatening words are enough. Like that quote, "The pen is mightier than the sword."

My Response: Ok, so essentially my opponent explains what happens if he gets in trouble. I have 2 responses to this:

1) Most kids who are troubled and ill disciplined don't care about detention. Haven't you noticed that the same kids are in detention the most. Detention doesn't deter them. A stronger method of discipline is necessary for these kids.
2) A lot of kids who are troubled come from a home where discipline is not enforced. Therefore, school is where they learn discipline.

He then says the "pen is mightier then the sword." This has no place in this debate. This theory is used in war. First adopted by the Chinese then the Ottomans. They believed that intelligence and diplomacy could be more effective then straight out fighting. This has nothing to do with detention.

*Extend my contention, it has not been adequately refuted.
I_am_Einstein

Con

I_am_Einstein forfeited this round.
CiRrO

Pro

Alright, Extend my arguments. My opponent [obviously] forfeited.

character length...................................................
Posted by Xera 8 years ago
Xera
damn I can't spell today. Signature and generalized.
Posted by Xera 8 years ago
Xera
Three points here, then I promise nothing else said

1. IAR has not been on the do not paddle list since she forged my husbands signiture on a note her teacher sent home (and misspelled it) 3 years ago.

2. Parents don't care enough to discipline their kids. They are far to busy thinking of sweet little Suzy as perfect to admit that she simply will not stop talking, will not stay in her seat, and likes to hit little Sarah on the head with a pencil every time the teacher turns around.

3.I voted Pro because he actually showed up for the entire damn debate, and made gernalized good points, whereas CON only showed stereotypical and personal points.
Posted by Im_always_right 8 years ago
Im_always_right
I am on the do not paddle list...and there is no such thing at my father's house. In fact there is no paddling there at all. It'd not iffy, leave the children to the likes of there parents!!!! LOL!! I thought I had made it clear that it was slang around here, anybody at school would come in and tell all her friends "Oooh, I got an "F" in Math, and my daddy beat me with a belt!" Everybody knows beat=spank
belt=owww
beat with belt=sore butt

well even if I didn't that should clear it up :)
Posted by Xera 8 years ago
Xera
My goodness she makes it sound like someone needs to contact CPS :D. I use the word beat when I am telling my kids I am going to spank them, its just slang, nothing ever happens that could be considred an actual 'beating'.

As a teacher I can say that corporal punishment in the schools is an iffy thing. When it is allowed the parents have the right to opt out, and place their child on the do not paddle llst. I would rather have no corporal punishment than have some kids on a do not paddle list. Those that are on that list always know it, and are almost always the ones that need a good paddle upside the rear-end the most. In order to be effective, a discipline form must be standard for all students. consistancy is all that really matters. The moment I make one exception in my classroom, I've lost the class for the entire rest of the year.
Posted by Im_always_right 8 years ago
Im_always_right
Beating can be a spanking or slap on the face around here.
Posted by Im_always_right 8 years ago
Im_always_right
Then again, I am far from "normal" and don't want to be, at least for now...
Posted by Im_always_right 8 years ago
Im_always_right
"1) Most kids who are troubled and ill disciplined don't care about detention. Haven't you noticed that the same kids are in detention the most. Detention doesn't deter them. A stronger method of discipline is necessary for these kids."

(i am sorry for argueing this now instead of after the debate is over, but i really need to say something about this)

Okay I got about 8 detentions in the last month (4 weeks) of school.

1 because I did not turn in homework
3 because I was late to class/school (I have to walk a mile up hill in snow every day, nothing like a 13 year old sounding 80 lol)

4 because I did not get my enrollement form (looks like 8 but there is more)

2 for not showing up to detention.

Only 1 was after school (
at my previous school, there was no such thing as after school detention, just lunch, and a phone call to my mother, but in the middle of the ear I went up to Wyoming to visit my dad for 6 months, in the school year starting at Christmas)

I showed up early for the after school detention, in the library, (I didn't pick it, but I do love reading :P)
And started reading Shakesphere, by 5:30 (End of detention)
Me and the libraian were friends, I helped her find the 'G' drive on the computer, she showed me some books, we made jokes at the end....but the day before i went I had to call my dad and tell him (After I walked home, I called him on my cell phone, he was on a train, he's an engenier for Union Pacific, and my step mom was working at St. Joseph's.)
and the school sent him a letter via snail mail.

Even here, my mother and stepfather (here being Oklahoma)
have ties to the school, and get called every time I get a detention/scolding pretty much anything.

I was far worse here than there as far as breaking rules...
And I never have to walk someone is always here, anything bad at school=more chores and a beating... there, a firm talking to by my father, and when he goes on and on boringly, I just tone him out.
Vote Placed by I_am_Einstein 7 years ago
I_am_Einstein
I_am_EinsteinCiRrOTied
Vote Placed by legaleagle 8 years ago
legaleagle
I_am_EinsteinCiRrOTied
Vote Placed by GreyGeeses 8 years ago
GreyGeeses
I_am_EinsteinCiRrOTied
Vote Placed by LakevilleNorthJT 8 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
I_am_EinsteinCiRrOTied
Vote Placed by Murphy_is_Law 8 years ago
Murphy_is_Law
I_am_EinsteinCiRrOTied
Vote Placed by Xera 8 years ago
Xera
I_am_EinsteinCiRrOTied
Vote Placed by Im_always_right 8 years ago
Im_always_right
I_am_EinsteinCiRrOTied
Vote Placed by Rezzealaux 8 years ago
Rezzealaux
I_am_EinsteinCiRrOTied