anastasiakolosovskaya
nerdicorn

Should creative subjects be an important part of the school curriculum?R32;

nerdicorn has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

anastasiakolosovskaya

Pro

To begin with, I would like to note that one of the most acute problems facing modern educational systems is that creative subjects such as art, music, dance and drama, once an integral part of the curriculum, are losing their status in favor of more academic, more obviously "commercially useful" subjects. Creativity is being squeezed out by the government"s pressure to reach SATs targets and climb league tables. As a result, students" talents go unspotted. Moreover, children are left without an opportunity to develop their critical thinking.

I am of the opinion that we should embed creative subjects into every part of the school day. By increasing the number of hours spent for art, drama and music, we can achieve remarkable results. As practice shows, kids hate learning because it"s tedious as a rule. Therefore, I am convinced that we can boost their performance by making this studying process much more interesting and inspiring. What is more, we can make students enjoy learning by alternating more scientific subjects and creative ones so that to stimulate brain activity.
Another very convincing argument in favor of creativity is that it boosts students" confidence, since there are a lot of quiet introverted kids who don't know how to deal with their emotions, how to cope with negativity.

I think it cannot be denied that in our ever-changing world the purpose of school is to prepare students for the situations that we cannot foresee. Thereby, whenever kids face a challenging situation, they will be able to think their way through it, to find many means to solve the problem for it is the ability to think, not to memorize that is stressed by creative disciplines. We should encourage creativity because it"s the only way we can develop problem-solving skills.
Access to art and literature, and the opportunity to explore creative expression, can broaden young people"s outlook, encourage empathy and curiosity about the wider world.

Needless to say that there are skeptics who strongly disagree with this point of view. Low-income parents tend to believe that creative education is a risk, not a sensible investment since they often have a misconception that if their kids go into the arts or learn performance skills they will have to face financial insecurity being unable to enter the workforce. That"s why parents encourage their children to train for business, or for professions like medicine, or work in finance. What they don't understand is the fact that the training students get in the arts can be the most useful thing in the future because it gives the confidence to be open to new ideas and people.

Finally, I want to share Kurt Vonnegut"s advice with you: "Practise any art, music, singing, dancing, acting, drawing, painting, sculpting, poetry, fiction, essays, reportage, not to get money and fame, but to experience becoming, to find out what"s inside you, to make your soul grow".
So let children sing the Beatles with the same enthusiasm as they read Shakespeare!

What is your opinion on this issue? You are welcome to voice your boldest thoughts and ideas in the comments!
nerdicorn

Con

Although I strongly believe that creative subjects are important, I don"t believe they are necessary to the school system. Schools should offer perhaps an after school program or an optional elective of these, but they are no more important that things such as mathematics, ELA, P.E, History, and Science. I even do Orchestra in school, but as an elective. I believe that if schools have enough money they most definitely should spend it on such, but otherwise it should be optional. You also said that students must unleash their talents? Well, students may not be good at that. Many creative subjects come naturally, and many cannot achieve that standard. If they can"t, their whole GPA may go down. But what about academics? No matter what, academics will be used in the real world. Creative subjects will most likely not. That"s my argument. Yes, every subject requires some creativity, but that is the students" job to incorporate their OWN creativity into their OWN passion, in whatever way they wish. I"m not saying we should stop, but it should be more of an extracurricular activity rather than a requirement. We should make kids do things that will help them in real life, but encourage them to practice creativity. Thank you for listening to my argument.
anastasiakolosovskaya

Pro

I really appreaciate your opinion! Thank you for sharing it with me. Still I have a number of arguments to back up my initial statement.
First of all, I want you to think it over carefully. I'm of the opinion that probably you are confusing two different notions: imagination and creativity. Being imaginative doesn't mean being creative, to my mind. If you can think abstract and you have some tremendous ideas in your head, then you are imaginative. If you know how to implement your ideas into real life, how to demostrate their social worth, you are not only imaginative, but creative! Creativity is not about just being extraordinary, it's the ability to think independently, not merely use the ideas and experience of your ancestors. It's the ability to make your own way through this life while giving somethig new to the society. For this reason, I am iclined to believe (and, by the way, there has been conducted a lot of research) that we are all naturally creative. The problem is as we grow up, we learn to be uncreative. It's a skill that can be developed as well as a process that can be managed. Creativity begins with a foundation of knowledge, learning a discipline, and mastering a way of thinking. You can learn to be creative by experimenting, exploring, questioning assumptions, using imagination (!) and synthesing information. I can even compare learning to be creative with learning a sport. From one side, it requires practice to be developed, from the other side, it needs a supportive environment to flourish. Creativity as an ability of coming up with innovative ideas is not a mere function of our mind. According to some scientists we need at least five behaviours, so that our brain could be optimised for these innovations. These are observing, questioning, networking, associating and experimenting. In my opinion, modern schools do not provide children with all of them. If you don't have creative subjects on your curriculum, how would you develop associating and experimenting skils? Consequently, if you have such subjects, you practice using these five discovery skills every day and, thus, develop your skills in innovation and creativity. You have said it's more reasonable to have creative subjects as after-school programmes. Some students are up to their ears with what you call 'academic' subjects and they cannot allocate their time for extra-curricular activities. Moreover, when they are small, they often don't realise that they need creative skills and for this reason don't want to have extra lessons in anything. So how can they develop their critical thinking being almost grown-ups if they haven't been developing it in their childhood. That's why I strongly believe we should teach creativity to children from an early age.
Another quite convincing argument, I suppose, is that nowadays it is the generalist approach that dominates the educational sector. So we learn many different disciplines making ourselves jacks-of-all-trades, not experts. We have some knowledge in various spheres, we are well-rounded people, but we are not necessarily knowledgeable. There is a probability that most people who try to capture everything will never become experts in their particular areas. The question is: why do we prefer to have a bunch of 'academic' subjects (most of which we will never need in our future, both personal and professional, life) instead of creative disciplines? Do you think art, drama, music and dance are worth less than, for instance, social studies, physics or geography? From my own experience I can say that i have had many scientific subjects at school, but at the moment I hardly remember even half of the information acquired. The thing I know for sure is that I regret not having enough chances and time to develop my critical thinking and creativity.
One more convincing point in favour of creativity is the following paradox. Why do we take into account that some students are not so able when it comes to creative subjects and we say that it can take a toll on students' academic performance and GPA, but we don't want to pay attention to the fact that some students are not so good at maths, chemistry or history (and it can also affect their GPA)? Furthermore, we don't take into consideration individual peculiarities such as ability to crunch a great deal of tedious information, logical thinking, memory capacity.
Finally, about the relevance of creativity in our real life. I believe that everyone wants to be a success in their life. For me, success is directly connected with creativity. All of our most prolific inventions and scientific breakthroughs have come via the creative process. Without creativity we would be nowhere near where we are today. You cannot invent anything new if you are not able to think independently and come up with your own ideas. Creativity is one of the best foundations for learning and growing. It is very important for development, for it benefits culture over the long run. Without creativity, there would never be new forms of art, architecture, literature, music, and innovations in technology. Culture itself would remain stagnant, merely regurgitating the same things over and over again without anything new or exciting being brought to the table. How else are people going to invent something new that will benefit society if they are not creative? Schools these days want students to conform to standardized tests that make them hate school, and are washing away students who could make a difference in society.
That is why I strongly believe only those people who think outside the box can change the world!
Thank you again for expressing your point of view, it is a most imteresting answer!
Posted by Simple_Logic 1 month ago
Simple_Logic
Creativity is extremely important for developing conceptual ideas and understanding abstract ideas. It is also important in understanding logic and expression.