anandsuresh619
imabench

Should cultural treasures be returned to their country of origin?

imabench

anandsuresh619

Pro

1) As cultural treasures they represent great meaning and history of that country
2) Such cultural treasures were not simply given away, they were found by foreigners who then TOOK the treasures to their distant countries
3) The treasures could still be studied by scholars and archaeologists
4) Newer museums are more secure and safe for cultural treasures then the old hollowed out castles converted into museums in Europe
imabench

Con

1) Cultural treasures do represent a great deal of history to the particular nation they come from. But many of the greatest cultural treasures present great history and meaning to the WORLD and the history of all of mankind. The Terra Cotta soldiers for example are a great part of history of China, but they open up a window into the past when many ancient nations devoted a great amount of resources and time to ensure the protection of their deceased leaders in the afterlife.

2) Most Cultural treasures were found by foreigners then taken, but consider the fact they may not have had a choice.... When many treasures such as the Rosetta Stone, King Tut's Tomb, artifacts at Machu Picchu were recovered, the nations that these treasures came from did not have the resources at the time to safely store and display such treasures. If cultural treasures could not be removed to safer places, they would stay in the resource tarnished nations and possibly be lost forever. When some of the treasures recovered from Machu Picchu were returned to their native country, the artifacts were not put on display as they were in the US, instead they ended up in the back rooms to be eventually examined, if they ever were examined.

3) The treasures could be studied by scholars and historians, but what if the country that were holding the artifacts were to go into political upheaval? Just last summer Egypt went into a regime change that could have been just as deadly as the one that just took place in Libya. Had such a violent revolution occurred then some treasures may have been inaccessible to foreigners, in fact if the revolution were deadly enough the treasures could have been stolen or destroyed entirely.... in Cairo Egypt the Museum that holds King Tut's golden Sarcophagus could have been pillaged and lost forever, we are all lucky that it wasnt.....

4) Most European museums are converted castles, but many of the larger more important and more frequently visited museums that house some of the greatest cultural treasures ever found are actually very modern and very well funded and protected. The Louvre which houses the Mona Lisa and the British Museum in London which houses the Rosetta stone are some of the most modern museums in the world. Cultural treasures in these prestigious museums are among the safest in the world and artifacts in here would be 10 times safer than any museum back in their thrid world developing countries.

These museums are also the most frequently visited in the world as well, the Louvre and British Museum rank number 1 and 2 respectively. This means that cultural treasures housed in these museums will be observed and appreciated by thousands and thousands of more people then they ever could have been viewed if the treasures were back in their native lands. The Museum In Cairo Egypt that holds the well known King Tut's tomb is not even among the list of the top 100 museums in the world in terms of most amount of visitors, so a cultural treasure in Egypt would be far less appreciated by the world then if it were in a European or American museum that receives many more patrons in comparison....
anandsuresh619

Pro

anandsuresh619 forfeited this round.
imabench

Con

My previous arguments still stand
anandsuresh619

Pro

anandsuresh619 forfeited this round.
imabench

Con

Vote Con :)
Posted by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
I would accept but I cant since we're already in another debate. 2 people cant be in 2 debates with each other at the same time
Posted by anandsuresh619 5 years ago
anandsuresh619
@imabench I need Points on the Against Part and Unfornately I signed up for a debate with you where i stood for against. I am a 14yr old student and I think your standards are pretty high and i'm doing a debate at school for the same topic and standing against the motion .. Now can you Help me
Posted by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
Wait a minute did you really host this debate just so that you can have a final argument in the debate that we are having right now over the same subject?
Posted by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
lol you have some really good points in this debate ;D
Posted by anandsuresh619 5 years ago
anandsuresh619
@brain_eggleston please take it fast because i've got to do this in school and i'm doin against so I can take points from you Please !!
Posted by brian_eggleston 5 years ago
brian_eggleston
I like this debate...if I can find time, I wil take up this challenge.
Posted by waylon.fairbanks 5 years ago
waylon.fairbanks
But then Britain wouldn't have anything to fill their museums with!
Vote Placed by Nur-Ab-Sal 5 years ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
anandsuresh619imabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pretty obvious, if you ask me.