ghostdebater13
BillyTheKids

Should cursing be banned from music?

ghostdebater13

Pro

Okay my first debate so go easy on me. In mainstream music I've noticed more and more songs are using curse words. For example I heard middle school kids singing "Bandz a Make Her Dance" with no censorship on it. I ask, is it worth it? What's the point in it? Younger people have more and more access to songs like this through Youtube, Facebook, or even itunes. People could start using the vulgar slang in the songs. Maybe put a restriction on explicit music untill the age of sixteen. Like the asking for ID for an M rated video game. Thanks in advance for a reply, love to hear what others think on this.
BillyTheKids

Con

No I do not think it should be. Though yes there are some places that you should not speak in that language, there will still be those words. People have the right to speak freely and yes you should not abuse that right, there is still a right in place. Also, Songs use words to empower people. Without certain lines or phrases the song would not be as empowering and effective. If you were to ban swears from music think of how many great songs that are out there would have to be taken down. Imagine songs that are famous and loved by millions of people get taken down because it says the "F" bomb in the middle of the song.

I would also like to thank you for opening an interesting debate like this, this is also my first debate.
ghostdebater13

Pro

Thank you for the challenge. I agree with you on what you said. But for some songs I still don't think it's needed. I don't think songs that have one or two words are a big deal; the ones that have one or two curse per line is what I have an issue with. I agree on the freedom of speech and completely over looked that. I change my mind on the full banning but how about an ID check or a parental approval for it.
BillyTheKids

Con

Sorry about the late debate, the school is at midterms, such a pain.

Anyway, How do they know if you are 16 or not, when you just turn 16 and it is your birthday that day you cant just go and put in a school ID. iTunes would not be able to hold a record of the IDs of every school in the country. They might be able to but it would take hours to figure out if the ID was real. Also, Pirating would still be around so how would they be able to stop that. Many companies have tried, like last year with SOPA. They do not have that much control over the internet unless you want to become a communist country. There is just no way that you would be able to keep track of all of the IDs.
ghostdebater13

Pro

Too true. For my closing argument I would like to say that cursing should be banned because I believe that it does influence youth. If there is one or two its fine,but in a abusive manor shouldn't be tolerated. I believe that there should be some restraint on how many times you curse in a song. It will help youth and their vocal manors in the long run. I would like to thank my opponent on this great debate.
BillyTheKids

Con

BillyTheKids forfeited this round.
Posted by Bandage 4 years ago
Bandage
I agree with Con. Words are just words. Everyone is going to hear them sooner or later. And after all words only hold as much power as you give them.
Posted by Nidhogg 4 years ago
Nidhogg
I LOL'd
Posted by Mangani 4 years ago
Mangani
Pro's Round 1 implies he's been living in a cave, no? Parental Advisory restrictions, anyone???
Posted by sythe 4 years ago
sythe
I think that the swearing is wrong in music today, but I don't like the idea of the government getting involved. The problem is that it's never limited to what you want it for. Today you give the government power to ban swearing in music, but pretty soon they're banning speech that is 'destructive to morals' or 'promotes a disrespect for government' or other such rubbish. The First Amendment is there to prevent any infringement on speech to ensure that the government can never get to that point.
Posted by BillyTheKids 4 years ago
BillyTheKids
Thank you, and I am 14 as well. If you were to open my iPod you would see music from Opra to Rap, so anything is good, a song that swears a lot is "Days I Remember" -Matlock, listen to it, tell me what you think.
Posted by mark86 4 years ago
mark86
i believe that it does influence the way kids act to an extent. look at the generation before ours, much more respectful and honest. You have to what is popular nowadays; the music has a big part to do with how the kids act. if you listen to the words in rap music, you will see that the words are generally curse words and disrespectful. a lot of kids that try to fit in with their peers subconsciously hear these words and think oh, everyone is like this, i might as well treat women badly and be more disrespectful and break the rules. now i am not saying that about all music, but i would say most mainstream. The cursing should defnataly be toned down, but not eliminated from the music.

and this is coming from a 14 year old boy who doesn't listen to mainstream music.
Posted by KbarUpIt 4 years ago
KbarUpIt
I believe, in the end, it all has to do with respecting the First Amendment rights. If a person does not like a word or words in a song, just don't buy it. Speaking of the First Amendment, if the words are offensive, write the publisher of the music and present your point. Good arguments.
Posted by BillyTheKids 4 years ago
BillyTheKids
I agree with Dud right there
Posted by DudeWithoutTheE 4 years ago
DudeWithoutTheE
Bandz a make her dance should just be banned entirely. Disgrace to the entire rap genre, it's just terrible.
Posted by BillyTheKids 4 years ago
BillyTheKids
I do agree that people abuse the right of freedom of speech, but really it is just impossible for people to limit those words.