mulligan54
RationalMadman

Should dance be considered a sport? Should dancers be considered athletes?

Started: 1/6/2013 Category: Sports

mulligan54

Pro

In this debate I will be arguing that dance is a sport. The dictionary definition of a sport (according to dictionary.com) is an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess, often of a competitive nature. Dance contains all of these elements. The fact that dance is an art does not mean that it cannot be a sport as well. Dancers train and compete just like other athletes. Let me clarify that I am talking about competitive dancing, whether it is individual or with a team, not simply dancers that perform in recitals. I am also not arguing that dance is a contact sport. Dance does not require on-the-go thinking, but this is an element that many sports do not contain (golf, swimming, diving, bowling, gymnastics, etc) and this element is not requisite to be considered a sport. Dance competitions do have rules and regulations just like other sports. Dancers work very hard and deserve to be treated like the athletes that we are.
RationalMadman

Con

Hello there :) 2000 this time, very nice.

Let be ask you a few questions:
  1. Is pornography a sport?
  2. Is a prostitute an athlete?
  3. Is singing a sport?
  4. Are artists athletes?
  5. Is me having sex with your the pinnacle of your career?
I'd say no to all.

Want to know the truth?

A sport is exactly as you defined it.

A runner doesn't run to entertain as much as to set records and earn money for it.
A swimmer doesn't swim to entertain (In fact if I'm not watching someone of Michael Phelps' level I get quite bored viewing it) they swim to do a certain speed and earn medals.

Dancing is like sex. You learn special moves and routines that are both pleasurable to the soul to do and, when done with others can ultimately entertain viewers very much. You have a coach/director and merely do it for the physically and emotionally pleasurable sensation and only earn money due to SUBJECTIVE taste. In boxing there is always ONE winner for a DEFINITE amount of points earned, in dancing there's no objective measure of points.

A sport requires an objective measure of skill of some kind and unfortunately dancing offers no such structure to the judging.

Dancing is an art for entertaining the viewer and just like most men would probably agree on an amazing porno and a crap porno, they would also rate it very differently because of their personal emotional response to the performance.
mulligan54

Pro

My answer to each one of your questions is no, with the exception of the 4th question. My answer to question number 4 depends on what type of artist you are referring to because 'artist' is a very broad term. If you are referring to a painter or a sculptor, then my answer would be no. I think that dancers are both athletes and artists because dance is a sport of the arts.
As I have previously stated (for those of you that don't know, RationalMadman and I have already had this debate) dance IS judged based on an objective measure of skill. Take a Starbound national competition in the USA for example. There are several different sets of criteria based on the age group of the dancers and the type of dance. Dancers are judged based on technique just like an Olympic diver or gymnast would be judged. Dancers are judged based on the preciseness of their turns, the height of their jumps, etc. Doing an aerial with flexed feet or bent legs would result in a deduction of points. And this does NOT just apply to ballet. There are different sets of criteria that each dancer is judged on based on the type of routine, whether it's lyrical, contemporary, jazz, acro, etc. COMPETITIVE dancers compete to earn titles and win medals just like any other athlete; they do not perform simply for entertainment. These competitions DO have an objective measure of points; dancers are NOT judged based on the mood of the judge or how it makes the judge feel although the emotion portrayed by the dancer does play a part in the judging. Being a competitive dancer myself, I am fully aware of what I am judged on at each competition that I attend and I can assure you that there is an objective measure of points.
RationalMadman

Con

RationalMadman forfeited this round.
mulligan54

Pro

mulligan54 forfeited this round.
RationalMadman

Con

RationalMadman forfeited this round.
mulligan54

Pro

mulligan54 forfeited this round.
RationalMadman

Con

RationalMadman forfeited this round.
Posted by GarretKadeDupre 3 years ago
GarretKadeDupre
Why does it feel like I've seen this exact same debate already? I'm confused. Either I'm having some bad deja'vu, have alzheimer's, or DDO is acting up...
Vote Placed by GarretKadeDupre 3 years ago
GarretKadeDupre
mulligan54RationalMadmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: R.I.P. mulligan54. I got this message from her just before she deactivated her account, in response to my request to debate her on this same topic: As much as I would love to debate with you over whether or not dance should be considered a sport, I am deleting my account. I received several inappropriate and highly immature messages from RationalMadman and I am sick of it. I originally joined this website to get better at debating since it is an important aspect of the curriculum in several of my classes this year, but to be honest this website has done me more harm that it is has helped me.