mj62509
Sky_ace25

Should day-care workers and pre-school teacher be allowed to drink?

Con Tied Pro

mj62509

Con

I don't know about where you people live. Or how they run your day care centers. But where I live. Their ok with pre-school teachers who can pass a criminal background check, but wouldn't last 2 seconds on a personality test or behavior.

I've seen so many myspace and facebook profiles of these upstanding teachers have pictures of them partyin, drinking, and even some getting high. Sure their adults and have a right to do those things. But should they be allowed to if their teachers and day care workers?

Aren't these people supposed to be better then that and be setting good examples for kids? I think just like some other jobs. There should be certain restrictions to what they can and can not do even when not on the job.

Example: Someone I know who shall remain nameless. Proudly displays their career as a Day care employee/Pre-school teacher on their myspace. However. You'll also find alcohol ads displayed all over it too. And party pictures in their photo albums.
Sky_ace25

Pro

I'd like to thank my opponent for this interesting topic.

For the purposes of this debate I believe we are not arguing alcohol while on the job. but arguing alcohol outside of the job. (correct me if I'm wrong)

I'd like to ask can my opponent prove that a teacher's habits outside of school someway lower her ability to do his/her job? In terms of being a role figure toward children; the child unless they are stalking their teacher is most likely completely oblivious of his/her teacher's habits outside of school. Thus my opponent can't make the argument that they can negatively effect children as a role-figure at the instant that most children do not follow their teacher throughout their personal lives.

To expand on this also; don't most children's parents drink alcohol on their own anyway? Parents play a much more influential role in children's life so even if teachers didn't drink alcohol at all their is no warrant that my opponent can provide that proves a child will not eventually be exposed to the substance. Further more if a kid is able to go on Myspace and find their teacher then it's fair to say that the kid is able to adequately explore the internet and other social-networking medias so the idea that they will never see alcohol being consumed by a prominent figure is almost impossible. Further more it's better to expose children at a young age to the fact that their is alcohol, people do drink it, and instead we can teach them about drinking in moderate quantities. Thus not only are we doing a service to the children but we are doing a service to the teacher which will be explained later on.

Further more all teachers deserve to have their own social life. As a hard-worker myself I can say I would go crazy if I couldn't get some good old R&R in my free time; of course I am not of legal age to drink, but if somebody banned my drink of Coca-Cola I would be quite infuriated.

Further more teaching is a very stressful job and by restricting the luxuries teachers are entitled too my opponent is infringing on their rights as a citizen and also we would deter potentially well-qualified teachers who would refuse to pursue teaching because of the restriction.

Further more if a ban was taken in effect students would suffer as their teachers would come in much more stressed as they would have lost the ability to enjoy their own comforts. A teacher who is stressed will most likely negatively-affect the class atmosphere despite the teacher's best interests to keep it positive.

Further more tax payer money would be exhausted because the powerful teacher unions would constantly use this negative principle as leverage to argue for more rights and benefits. Thus governments will be even more pressed for money and this may result in a loss of benefits or an increase of taxes to other people. Thus a child's family might end up suffering even more at the expense of making sure the teacher will continue to teach.

Thus as shown above if we remove the ability to drink from teachers it will only lead to future suffering and it will directly affect the children the teacher is expected to teach in a positive atmosphere which in this case would become negative if the teacher is stressed from a lack of alcohol.

Also, all teachers have to pass a test to prove that they are capable of actually comprehending the knowledge that they are required to teach. A personality test would be completely immoral because then we are judging what is the "right character" for a teacher to be. I'm sorry but should all teachers be a-minded and thus students will never be exposed to diversity in ideas and principles. Some of the best teachers are the ones who are willing to do some whacky things to ensure that their kids will study and work hard. Thus the idea that we should try to get all our teachers tailored to be of a specific personality and mind-set is completely irrational and would undermine the whole point of the education system which is to expose the student to learning in a diverse social settings.

I will now hand over the debate to the Con to hear his potential arguments and/or refutes.
mj62509

Con

mj62509 forfeited this round.
Sky_ace25

Pro

My opponent has forfeited the previous round and thus all my points and refutes still stand strong.

My opponent did not counter any of my points or offer refutes so as of now he has no case and my case still stand strong.

Vote for Pro now unless Con posts an argument next round.
mj62509

Con

mj62509 forfeited this round.
Sky_ace25

Pro

My opponent has basically given up this entire debate.

He never refuted my arguments before and thus they have no case.

Vote Pro.
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
Sky wins
Posted by leet4A1 7 years ago
leet4A1
Ahh rightio, just something I've been curious about for a while and never got around to asking any of my mates who attended one. Cheers.
Posted by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
Well, Freshman year I had an insane teacher that discriminated against anyone who was not a Catholic Italian. I am neither ;)

Sophomore year, religion class was a complete joke, as it usually is. The teacher did nothing.

This year, my teacher talks mainly about Church history and about Christianity as a whole. He references other religions, and doesn't really discriminate or irrationally judge other religions. It seems that he would prefer Catholics over other denominations, though.
Posted by leet4A1 7 years ago
leet4A1
Yeah well that's a bit of a shame in my opinion.

Hey while we're on the subject of religious-based schools (I attended a state school), in your religious classes do they discuss other religions as well like Islam and so forth?
studentathletechristian8
Agreed, leet. However, as I go to a Cath-o-lic school, personal opinions are being rammed down by throat. Many other kids experience the same ;)
Posted by leet4A1 7 years ago
leet4A1
"However, drugs and alcohol are generally bad ;)"

Be that as it may, teachers should leave their opinions out of education. What should be taught are the pros (they're fun, sociable, relieve stress) and cons (have potential to ruin your life, health effects) of each drug and whether or not they're bad should be decided by the student.
studentathletechristian8
However, drugs and alcohol are generally bad ;)

I completely affirm the resolution. IMHO, most teachers either don't care about their students or don't have the capability to effectively teach a class. Teachers should be allowed to drink or do whatever they want after school hours. "After school hours" includes staying away from "students" while drinking, smoking, etc.

Con - Pleas improve grammar and subject agrrements.
Posted by leet4A1 7 years ago
leet4A1
"So many schools are teaching kids that drugs and alcohol are bad, and then we have those same teachers doing the opposite? Sound hypocritical to me"

The solution? Stop teaching kids that drugs and alcohol are "bad".
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
So far I agree with Sky_ace25.
Posted by Sky_ace25 7 years ago
Sky_ace25
If a teacher showed up impaired she/he would swiftly be fired before she even stepped into a class. most teachers arrive at school way earlier than kids show up; I highly doubt nobody would notice she/he is drunk.
Vote Placed by True2GaGa 7 years ago
True2GaGa
mj62509Sky_ace25Tied
Vote Placed by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
mj62509Sky_ace25Tied
Vote Placed by Sky_ace25 7 years ago
Sky_ace25
mj62509Sky_ace25Tied