ghostrecon
Hutch96

Should death penalty be used ?

Hutch96
Started: 12/8/2015 Category: Economics

ghostrecon

Pro

Hi i challenge you to my debate.In my opinion death penalty should be used for the most egregious crime.Keeping dangerous criminal would be a threat to a society as whole.Most of them would re-offend after they are being release from prison.
Hutch96

Con

I accept your debate on the death penalty. In my opinion the death penalty should not be used and I am in favour of offenders serving a life sentence, being detained to keep the public safe as opposed to taking a life. Saying most of them would re-offend when they are released wouldn't make sense for those serving a life sentence however most modern prisons work on the reformation of offenders and integrating them back into society if this is an option.
ghostrecon

Pro

While death penalty should not be used in an exaggerated way such as misdemeanor and low level felony crime(robbery,shoplifting,burglary,etc..) would be unfit for capital punishment.But murder and child rape is a very serious crime.I don't fully agreed with kennendy vs.Louisianna that child rape does not cause death to the victim.Then what about if a baby or toddler being rape ??Would they still argue it's not a capital crime??A baby poses possess enough risk than can cause death due to sexual penetration.
Hutch96

Con

Whilst murder and rape are most serious crimes we cannot look simply at that Actus Reus in question but the Mens Rea of the offender committing the crime. Many cases of murder and rape you will find mentally ill people being placed in mental hospitals and whilst this doesn't justify anything they have done it certainly makes it a hard case to establish that they were fully aware of their actions. An offenders intent is massive point of law and the decision of how to sentence someone and this only gets more complicated when you add the death penalty. As for those with clear intent to do any serious crime with no ways to defend themselves I will again quote how many individuals serve full natural lives in prison and this is a form of ongoing punishment as opposed to instant death which I'm sure a lot of killers and rapists would be happier with compared to a life locked up forever. (which can also results in their death due to inmates as a lot will harbour hatred towards rapists and murderers)

I present the fact that the death penalty is very controversial as you are effectively taking someone's right to live and many people have unjustly died due to its system. Simply put a wrongly convicted offender can come out of a life sentence with reparations, an offender who gets the death penalty doesn't
ghostrecon

Pro

Death penalty is not injustice.A person who take away life of another such as murder deserve to pay back of what they have done.Such as serial killer,killing on account of numerous of people brutally with no mercy do you think these people should stay alive and live on our tax pay??Also i would say life in prison is much more expensive than death penalty.We have to spend a lot of our money on these bastard welfare.
Hutch96

Con

The death penalty is an injustice when people are wrongly accused and sentenced to death because of it.

As for the price I'm inclined to disagree its very known that its more costly to execute people as a lot of money is poured into the death penalty in the US which is a lot more costly than life.

The main question is whether the death sentence should be used and financially it seems counter productive. Going into the moral debate of what someone deserves is difficult as arguing for taking someones life if they kill is like excusing a murder case for revenge and this could lead down a dangerous path in many cases. Another problematic detail about the death penalty, if used in conjunction with European countries, is that the EU will certainly appeal any case which opts to take another persons right to live

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org...
http://www.hg.org...
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org... (Page 4, Financial facts about the death penalty)
ghostrecon

Pro

ghostrecon forfeited this round.
Hutch96

Con

Overall we see a trend of the death penalty being slowly reduced and abolished in progressive countries where as in religious fundamental countries we see the values of punishment being shown and the I do think the death penalty can radicalize citizens in a society as seen in history when public gatherings were held for entertainment to watch criminals be executed. I think this serves as a reminder of how much chaos the death penalty can bring if we allow ourselves to go down to their level.
ghostrecon

Pro

ghostrecon forfeited this round.
Hutch96

Con

I conclude with the last post
Posted by thevanthi.t 1 year ago
thevanthi.t
I strongly believe that death penalty should be abolished. We as humans do not have the right to take anyone' s life nor does anyone can take our lives. I know that people commit many crimes, and keeping them in prison does not always work but we have not been given the rights to take one's life.Let me tell an example : Myuran Sukumaran was an Australian and he was arrested in 2008 in Indonesia for being the ring leader in transporting drugs. He was in prison for 8 years. Within these 8 years he bought so much of changes. He changed, he realised his mistake and he changed the life if others in prison. He made the lives of others beautiful in the past 8 years in being in prison. On the 29th of April 2015 he was put to death. Is it fair? He got his punishment for the past years, but now he's gone. Punishments are given to people to make them realise their mistakes. Myuran did realise his mistake but at the ned he was killed in the most patriotic manner. He was shot. On the day he was to be shot, Myuran wanted to see his shorter eye to eye.
Isn't this cruel to kill someone even after they realise their fault.
I strongly agree in the abolition of death penalty
Posted by anna699636 1 year ago
anna699636
I strongly believe the death penalty should be abolished. Criminals should have to deal with their crimes while living in prison rather than to be directly executed. Also, criminals would have the chance to correct themselves and learn how to be a better person while in prison. Surprisingly, over 4% of prisoners sentenced to death in the United States are innocent, therefore we are killing people who did not commit the crime they were accused. As a part of reasons to oppose the death penalty a survey showed, 40% of the people believe it is not the right way to take a life, 17% oppose the death penalty because people may be wrongly accused, another 17% believe the punishment should be left to God, 9% believe jail is the best option, and the last 17% had no reason to share for why they opposed the death penalty. This clearly shows multiple explanations why the death penalty is strongly opposed and it should therefore be abolished. Lastly, 88% of former presidents of top academic societies believe executions do NOT lower the homicide rate. Given this data, one can assume the safest and most intelligent decision is to abolish the death penalty.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
ghostreconHutch96Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times, so conduct to Con.