MrMosin
WilliamSchulz

Should desertion be illegal?

MrMosin has forfeited round #2.

MrMosin

Con

I am holding the stance that someone in the U.S. Army, for example, should be allowed to resign from all duties whenever. This is assuming their resignation won't directly hurt others. Example: resigning while flying an Apache helicopter and jumping out would not be okay.

Pro must hold the stance that desertion should punishable by at least imprisonment.
WilliamSchulz

Pro

Snce this is more of an acceptance round for me, the points that I will be holding in the debate is that desertion should be punishable by improsionment because every case of desertion, while not directly, hurts the entire squad. Desertion is an example of dishonorable dischage and leaving the army in a wartime situation means that you could be going to the enemy to share tactics. That is why they allow you to shoot deserters on sight, and so imprisionment is if you beg for mercy.

However, desertion should be allowed if your army or cause is corrupt, as deserting states that you do not want to be a part of the evil-doing, which from my standpoint should be considered brave.

I'm looking forward to a good debate, best wishes to my opponent.
Posted by WilliamSchulz 2 months ago
WilliamSchulz
States should be changed to countries, my bad!
Posted by levi_smiles 2 months ago
levi_smiles
The test, of course, is when troops are called to war. I know a guy who served for years in the National Guard, never expecting to see action. When his troop got called up for the Gulf War, he came out as gay & accepted discharge rather than go to war.