Bissonnettemsc2014
boycemsc2014

Should dress code be required?

Started: 11/21/2013 Category: Fashion

Bissonnettemsc2014

Con

I agree that it is a good idea to have students represented equal but even in uniforms at Mount Saint Charles Academy each person is not viewed as equal. Everyone will be judged no matter what they are wearing. Bullying is a key factor that happens in all high schools, middle schools or even elementary schools, uniforms are not what decides if there is bullying. I know that dress code does make everyone seem equal and too a point promotes equality, yet there are the downfalls to this hypothesis. For example, this year at Mount the uniform had changed, the elimination of maroon shirts. Do you know the reason for this elimination? The elimination of the shirts students because our school didn't want to be tied together with Woonsocket High School who wear maroon shirts. This type of change defines the purpose of uniforms, equality. It separates us from kids who are just like us, who maybe not be as fortunate as the students that attend Mount Saint Charles.
boycemsc2014

Pro

Students should be required to wear specific items of clothing for school. It eliminates bullying, stereotypes, and stress free mornings. It stops bullying because I know at my old public school a lot of kid were talked about and made fun of because they didn't have the clothes that were "cool" or "in style". Many people are judged and bullied for what they wear, having a uniform would eliminate this issue. I understand that every person has their own specific style that they like to express, but having a uniform leaves the impression that everyone is equal. Many people who wear black are stereotyped as "emo" or "goth" and with eliminating one's decision on what to wear would immensely reduce a student/ person judging and making fun of others.
Bissonnettemsc2014

Con

Bullying occurs in many different places under all different circumstances. People may get made fun of for their hair, eyes, heritage, hobbies and none of that can be fixed by having a uniform. I believe uniforms are not what determines if a school is successful or not. Having a uniform discourages self expression. With uniforms in the school system people will still form cliques for example. Uniforms try to cover up the problems of society and mask the bullying for example that comes to all schools. Also many times uniforms are very expensive like at Mount Saint Charles were the skirts are 50 dollars and people get written up for to short of skirts forcing them to buy 50 dollar pants. Actually your point helps prove another point of mine, the different uniforms between schools forms rivalries and unfriendly actions. Uniforms actually separate us from the world and make us seem like we are different from a person who goes to a public school. If kids had the choice to go to a private school they would most definitely take it but money is always a key factor and it is not up to the student.
boycemsc2014

Pro

I do not agree with your statement about people being judged, not everyone will be getting judged. Wearing the same clothes will eliminate stereotypical and crude comments. I believe that a large part of bullying is what you wear. I know at my public school a lot of kids were talking badly about and made fun of because they did not have items of clothing that were "in style". I think that dress code does in fact promote equality, everyone is dressed in almost the same way to create an environment that is healthy and positive. The reason behind eliminating maroon polo is because our principal did not want to be affiliated with other schools that had maroon as their school color, such as Woonsocket, La Salle, Tiverton, etc... Our principal wanted Mount to be represented differently and known. Yes it does separate us from other schools, but I think that each school should have it's own specific uniform, just as many private schools have today.
Bissonnettemsc2014

Con

Bissonnettemsc2014 forfeited this round.
boycemsc2014

Pro

boycemsc2014 forfeited this round.
Bissonnettemsc2014

Con

boycemsc2014

Pro

boycemsc2014 forfeited this round.
Bissonnettemsc2014

Con

boycemsc2014

Pro

boycemsc2014 forfeited this round.
Posted by whalenmsc2014 3 years ago
whalenmsc2014
In my opinion I think uniforms are a good idea to have in schools because it does make the mornings easier and reduces bully and judgments towards people's fashion choices, but I also think they do limit people's fashion expression and are just as expensive or even more expensive than regular clothes depending on the schools's uniform supply and uniform exceptions. Overall I guess what I am trying to say is that school uniforms have pros and cons about them.
Posted by gardellamsc2014 3 years ago
gardellamsc2014
hey guys! I agree that bullying happens anywhere with or without uniforms. but the comment made about mount getting rid of maroon because it looks like Woonsockett inst entirely true. Maroon just isn't a mount color. The colors are rad blue and white and mount wants to stick with those colors instead of letting them vary. The want mount to look as neat and orderly as possible.